Truck versus trailer lists-what do you think?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Wouldn't it be nice if there were a way for all of us to submit our truck and trailer information so that it could all be in one collective list. This way a person could look up for instance, what type of trailer are people pulling with their Chevy 2500HD with Duramax engine? Or maybe what types of trucks are being used to pull a Bighorn 3670RL?

Mark

jbeletti

Well.......

We could add it to the profile page and people could update their profiles. I'd not make is a required field but for those who completed it, it would be there.

As far as reporting on it, that could get tricky but I could do it a couple times a year and strip off the usernames, leaving truck and trailer info.

Bear in mind, it's self reported and may not always be in sync unless the users updated the truck and trailer as that data changes on their end.

Jim

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Well I wasn't really sure how the logistics would work out on that. Trying to create a "live" database that would update as users update their profile was really just me thinking outloud. I'm personally not opposed to my name being attached to it as others could PM me or otherwise contact me for questions etc..

I do also realize that it would be completely dependant on user's entering the correct info but I really do not see that as an issue. I don't think anyone would purposely enter erronous data.

Again, I was just thinking out loud and had interest in what everybody was driving and pulling. I really think it would interesting to see both ends of the spectrum as it were, tow vehicles versus coach.

Later,

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I ditto mrcoomer. You could add the weights, too. No end to the data you could add, Jim! We'll keep you and Mike real busy, if you let us - I'm sure ya'll got plenty of SPARE time so far, eh?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim, If you added it to the profile, would it then appear in the member list like the existing profile does? That would seem to work pretty good.

jbeletti

Ray,

We can actually set what appears on the memberlist, what appears in the profile and what remains hidden. So there's a lot of flexibility.

Scanning through the memberlist or profiles to get a good sense of what 3,000 members have would be a big chore.

Michael is going to play with some ideas that pulls the data into a report that is dynamic (updates as data is updated in profiles). It will require the creation of some new, optional profile fields. That's the easy part.

Hard part? Getting people to update their profiles.

Jim

Mariposa

Tag on door post?

Just what does the GVW tag on the door post of pick ups really mean?
Ex; Front 5200 lbs
Rear 6200 lbs
GVW 9900lbs
I am confused?

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Just what does the GVW tag on the door post of pick ups really mean?
Ex; Front 5200 lbs
Rear 6200 lbs
GVW 9900lbs
I am confused?

From what I understand...

The GVRW of the truck at 9900# means that this is the total weight that the truck should never exceed when loaded with fuel, passengers and cargo. Some will argue that this is for taxing purposes only, and others will say that this is a conservative weight, but this is what the manufacturer will warranty this vehicle for.

The front axle should never exceed 5200# by itself with the load as explained above. A diesel engine will weigh more than a gasoline engine, but still it's hard to believe that the front could ever be loaded that high.

The rear axle should never exceed 6200# by itself with the load as explained above. If hauling a fifth wheel, the pin weight would add further to the amount on the axle. Hauling a pick-up camper could possibly make this weight be exceeded.

The front and rear axle weights should be higher than the GVRW.

There are other factors to consider. What is the weight that each tire can safely haul - it will be stamped on the sidewall of the tire.

Another is the GCWR or the Gross Combined Weight Rating (or maybe its called GCVW) and it is the maximum weight that the truck and the trailer/fifth wheel weigh.

These can be obtained by using a commercial scale like those found at truck stops.

Many will argue that these weights are conservative, but if you stay within them, you should never have a warrantee problem or a problem with insurance claim if you should be involved in an accident.

ct0218

Just from the numbers this looks like a SRW Ford or Dodge, definitely not a dually nor a GM truck. The front rating means that the front axle weight, when the truck is loaded with fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer cannot weigh more than that number. Same for the rear axle rating. The final number is the maximum total weight of the truck when loaded.. If you add the front and rear ratings together it does add up to more than the GVW. That difference I assume allows for an unbalanced load, or a very heavy load that, depending on placement, will affect the axle weight ratings.
It is important that you know the actual weights of the truck both unloaded and loaded, and by loaded I mean as you would be travelling with the trailer. A SRW truck doesn't give you much pin weight capacity. My truck ratings are: F-4800, R-8550, and 11,400, with a GCWR of 23,500. I'm below the first three, and slightly over the last (unless the Landmark goes on another diet).

Last edited:

ct0218

Looks like Chuck and I are saying about the same thing. I have seen more than a few very surprised people when they actually weighed their RV and truck.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Is the down weight, load on truck, the same as towing weight?
Bob

Bob, not sure what you mean by "down" weight, unless you do mean the weight on the truck, but, if so, it is not the same as towing weight. Towing weight is how much weight of a trailer or 5th wheel can you pull. It would include the weight on the trailer axles as well as the pin weight on the truck bed and the weight of the hitch.

Regardless of what the truck manufacturer might advertise, it is the difference between the GCWR and the total weight of the truck itself. This should not be the listed curb weight, but with passengers, cargo and fuel within the truck itself.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
CD, I really dont think I am understanding all this stuff:confused:. My 05 2500HD D/A manual states that the maximum trailer weight is 12K but the GCWR is 22K. If the truck is loaded up, fuel, people, etc and weighs lets say 7K Then 7K and 12K add up to 19K. But my BH has 11400 empty and I know that is wrong by the options it has. Now the way I see it, I cant put anything in the coach. So how can I pull the coach if it over 12K. Does the pin weight subtract from the total trailer weight?? Bob:confused:

ct0218

CD, I really dont think I am understanding all this stuff:confused:. My 05 2500HD D/A manual states that the maximum trailer weight is 12K but the GCWR is 22K. If the truck is loaded up, fuel, people, etc and weighs lets say 7K Then 7K and 12K add up to 19K. But my BH has 11400 empty and I know that is wrong by the options it has. Now the way I see it, I cant put anything in the coach. So how can I pull the coach if it over 12K. Does the pin weight subtract from the total trailer weight?? Bob:confused:
The 12K trailer weight rating is a conventional pull-behind, not a fifth wheel. Weigh your truck and fifth wheel on a truck scale (that weighs all axles), then weigh the truck alone. The truck and fifth wheel should loaded as you would be traveling--family, fuel , misc. stuff. Most 2500's loaded usually weigh less than 8K but over 7K. If, say, it weighs 7500, then that subtracted from 22,000 leaves 14,500 available for the fifth wheel total weight. Going over that weight is up to you, just remember as you add weight it affects braking, drive train, etc. The most important number to watch closely is your pin weight, especially on 2500's. Check your rear axle weight on the truck, both solo and with the fifth wheel attached. See how that compares to your RAWR on your truck. You don't have a lot of leeway on a 2500 and it is easy to overload the truck rear axle. You're not overloading the rear axle for the most part, but you're actually overloading your tires. You can upgrade the tire size to pick up some extra capacity but in a GM Duramax it has some adverse effects on performance. Going to a larger tire actually decreases your combined capacity because you actually change your axle ratio by increasing your tire size. Sometimes it is a fine line balancing all the weights but you need to know what you have to work with. If you pin weight is just too much for your truck then you may be able to relocate items in the fifth wheel to put more weight over the trailer wheels and away from the tongue. The weight ratings aren't law and a lot of people exceed them. A little over here and there shouldn't be a problem but that is a decision you have to make. I just saw a 250 come in tonight pulling a large HR and he had to be way , way over his pin and combined weights. The truck was squatting quite a bit in the rear, and the headlights would have been just about right for some coon hunting.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
CT, the only thing on the truck that was changed was the tire size. Went from the 245's to 265's. Had the PCM reprogramed to that tire size. The posted GVWR for the BH is 14K. Ok, I get it now. Thanks Bob:D:D:eek:

nhunter

The weight ratings aren't law and a lot of people exceed them. A little over here and there shouldn't be a problem but that is a decision you have to make.

Might want to check on that one. In most states and provinces exceeding that will get you a fine, PLUS possibly getting to leave your trailer on the side of the road until a bigger truck comes to get it.

ct0218

I know of nowhere in the states that enforce that, but Canada might be a different story. Some states do require that your TV be tagged for the maximum weight to be towed, but your manufacturer ratings are really only enforced commercially. I'm a little over on the GCVWR but all else is within specs. If a tow vehicle is way undersized for the fifth wheel it might draw attention to it and get checked.

Beaver00

I have a Dodge Ram 2500 with Cummins and auto tranny. I've just purchase a Landmark Augusta and I am wondering if combo will work. I am HOPING the truck can pull this trailer with no problem. We're going to try and load with a min amount of "stuff". Any info would be appreciated.