Mattress Question for Newer Model 3055RL Owners

GaryB

Hi All: Heartland (Coley) was kind enough to offer me a $150 credit to delete the stock mattress on the '09 3055RL that I have on order. I plan to get a 70"x80" custom mattress from a local mattress factory. But I do have a few questions to make sure I order one that will fit (there are no BH dealers around here for me to check myself):

1) What's the maximum mattress thickness that will fit between the mattress platform and the underside of the small "nightstand" shelves on each side of bed?

2) Are there any special curves, corners, etc. that need cut so it will fit OK? In particular, I'm concerned with the corner that butts up against the vanity when the slide is closed. I read another post saying how tight the fit is at that corner.

I'm asking these things so I can get the mattress on on order before the trailer comes in.

BTW - Based on past posts, I assume nobody has found any 70x80" sheets and are making do with regular king-size (or Cal king) sheets. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks!!!
Gary

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
We didnt order our BH so it came with the king size bed. My DH cut down the top of it and we stuck a regular queen size mattress on it. There is still a bit of extra bed frame below the mattress but it sure is an improvement. I don't know how to add pics on here but I took some if you want to see,,, Elizabeth

Gary,

The measurements on our '08 3055RL mattress and bedroom slider are:

13 inches from the board that the mattress is on to the bottom of the shelves in the corners at the head of the bed. (the actual placement could vary depending on who is mounting the shelves that day) The mattress that came with our unit is approx. 8 " thick. It does not have a pillow top, so there should be room for a pillow top and thicker mattress.

The slider opening is 71" which makes it pretty tight against the 70" mattress. And the 80" length does hit against the sink vanity. Nothing that causes any problems unless you need something out of the vanity or the built -in drawers at the end of the bed. When closing the slider, we usually slide the foot end of the mattress towards the closet about 6 inches and the interference isn't so bad. ( on this forum are some ideas on putting vinyl or plastic under the mattress so it moves easier - great for putting the sheets on and making the bed).

I have seen mattresses that have a 45 degree angle on one corner - but you can't flip and rotate it and the sheets fit even worse. And, good luck with those sheets. If you get a pillow top mattress that should be thicker and take up some of the extra sheets material.

Good Luck and I know you will enjoy your new Bighorn.
Jim

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Just a quick tip about sheets. If you get the ones that have the elastic all the way around the bottom sheet, they fit somewhat better. The elastic pulls the extra to the under side of the mattress. I can't stand wrinkly sheets :)

GaryB

Thank you for the information! And a really big thanks to Jim&Julia for the helpful measurements!

Gary

seabee

Stock Mattress in the 3670RL

Has anyone replaced the king size mattress,ours is almost a year old and I,m feeling the metal springs thinking at first I was laying on a bone the puppy had played with in the bed nope its the springs the top of the mattress must not have much pad and the thing makes noise like grandmas old metal bed.
This is a short life for a mattress.:eek:

Last edited:

Clark

We did replace the stock King mattress in our BH3055 when we picked it up on March 13th. Used a King mattress from our house and it sleeps wonderfully. The drawback is that the new mattress is 72" X 82" so whenever my wife brings the Bedroom slide in, I stand and hold the one corner up to put it on top of the vanity. Wish that it had been a little smaller, but can live with the minor inconvenience to gain the increased comfort.
Clark

Garry & Bev

travel bug
We ordered the queen size bed for our 3055RL and then placed a 3 inch memory foam we purchased at costco on top of it. It is very comfortable and the bed is easy to make up.
Garry also put tyvac on the board underneath the mattress. Now it is quite easy to move the mattress when making the bed and it doesn't get snagged on the particle board.
Hope this is helpful.
Bev

GaryB

We did replace the stock King mattress in our BH3055 when we picked it up on March 13th. Used a King mattress from our house and it sleeps wonderfully. The drawback is that the new mattress is 72" X 82" so whenever my wife brings the Bedroom slide in, I stand and hold the one corner up to put it on top of the vanity. Wish that it had been a little smaller, but can live with the minor inconvenience to gain the increased comfort.
Clark

Clark: I have a new 09 3055RL on order and asked the factory to withhold the stock mattress (for $150 credit). I have two questions:

1) I was told the inner bedroom slide width is 71 inches. How do you fit a 72 inch wide mattress in it? Do you compress/bunch up the mattress, or is the 71 inch slide dimension incorrect that I was given?

2) What height dimension do you have between the bed platform (particle board) and the bottom of the "night stand" shelves? I plan to order a 70x80 custom mattress and am wondering what the maximum mattress thickness can be before I have interference with those shelves.

Thanks!!!
Gary

changes to bedroom mattress

we have a Big Country 3300 RL. We removed the small night shelves and added a mattress topper. It sure makes for comfortable sleeping.
We bought a product called gorilla tape to place on the edges of the board under the mattress (to stop all those slivers when making the bed)
:)

seabee

Mattress -Oh my back

I like the idea of removing the tables on each side dust magnets is all they are.
And taping the plywood on the sides I think I will do that and add cloth,works for me that glue is a real holder can't wait to use the tape.
Cando/Have Done;)

Clark

Gary,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I measured the inside dimension of the BR slide and it is 71 inches. I had not thought to do that before putting the mattress in, but it just slid right in between the walls. No, I don't see or feel any bunching, so it looks like the mattress is soft enough to absorb that extra inch. A solid board or solid frame matress would not have slid into the slot. You are safer getting the 70"X80" and then you won't have to lift up on the corner by the vanity sink when putting the slide in. I'll live with that until the mattress is worn out then will get a 70X80 myself.
Clark

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Not sure about anybody else's, but the king size mattress that came with our rig hand two problems. One, it was way too big and difficult for my wife to change the sheets. Two, it was like sleeping on concrete, we got a foam topper for it but that gave little extra comfort, so we went to a mattress store and bought a good quality Sealy queen size and that cured all of our problems.
Fred

Clark

Lefty,
My wife and I have had previous experience with RV mattresses. The meet minimum needs, even with a feather top to soften them. We just happened to have that big King mattress left over from our previous home, knew that it slept great, and so made the switch. The origional RV mattress is still in the plastic wrap.
Clark

seabee

Good keep it there and sleep well,we had a Prarie Schooner 2004 and it had a Q size I put a iner spring under it,man what a difference,may I may need to do the same to this it makes it higher but better that then bad nights sleep.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty,
My wife and I have had previous experience with RV mattresses. The meet minimum needs, even with a feather top to soften them. We just happened to have that big King mattress left over from our previous home, knew that it slept great, and so made the switch. The origional RV mattress is still in the plastic wrap.
Clark

Thanks, I was worried bout paying big money for a $2 mattress:(

jbeletti

Per Wikipedia:
Tyvek is a brand of flashspun high-density polyethylene fibers, a synthetic material; the name is a registered trademark of the DuPont Company. The material is very strong; it is difficult to tear but can easily be cut with scissors or any other sharp object. Water vapor can pass through Tyvek, but not liquid water, so the material lends itself to a variety of applications: medical packaging, envelopes, car covers, air and water intrusion barriers (housewrap) under house siding, labels, wristbands, mycology, and graphics. Tyvek is sometimes erroneously referred to as "Tyvex."

I looked online at Lowes and Home Depot for House Wrap. All I found was 100'-150' rolls of it for ~$100. A bit more than you'd need. Maybe you can wander onto a home job site and ask workers for a 7' long piece of it. Looks like it comes on 9' wide rolls.

Jimmyt5

Clark

We have the same problem with the vanity, we just open the door on the bottom

Jim