One, (1) Uno, AC vent in bedroom?

LMC3

One, (1), Uno, as in the loneliest number. One 6" vent in the corner of the bedroom?!? Not a happy wife!!

We just purchased a new 2014 Landmark Key West. Overall, one of the best units we've ever owned.

We loved the idea of two AC/whole coach returns and venting. They're quite and cool the main room wonderfully but because cool air sinks and warm air rises, the bedroom remains hot.

We set both AC units to 68 to try and cool RV on a high 80's day (no where near a worse case scenario for the Georgia sub-tropics). Bathroom was freezing, main room very cool but the bedroom's inside temperature never dropped below 85. We tried doors closed/open and different thermostat temp balancing with no appreciable improvement.

To add to the problem of a single vent is the air flow dynamics provides nearly zero air flow volume to the bedroom vent compared to any of the other vents throughout the RV. Possibly from increased air friction typically found with right angle ducts off the main duct system causing reverse air flow?

I understand the two return vents in the bedroom but a single vent with no air flow volume does not work.

jimtoo

Hi LMC3,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure one of our other members will jump in soon with some info. You sure there is only one outlet in bedroom, if so there must be something blocking or restricting the air flow. We have had very few complaints about the a/c in the Landmarks.

Jim M

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We have two AC vents in our bedroom, which don't push a lot of air, so it stays warmer in the bedroom than the living area and also have a frigid bathroom. We augment the AC by using a Vornado fan and the ceiling fan in the living room to circulate the cool and warm air throughout the coach which really helps.

Rod Ditrich

LMC3

Thanks for the reply. The unit is new off the lot yesterday so we'll have to add the bedroom AC issue to the short punch list to be looked at when we can get back to the dealer. However, the air volume issue has all the markings of negative airflow from a right angel duct.

I assume the two AC's feed into a common duct system with shared vents and returns.

They all appear to be nearly in a straight line (front to back) except the bedroom vent is offset directly to the side of the front AC.

Does anyone know how the bedroom's vent is placed in relation to the other vents along the duct line?

LMC3

Thanks for the comment. "Glad" (maybe not the correct expression) someone else is having bedroom AC issues.

We have two returns and one vent in the bedroom. The single vent may be unique to this mid-year model change? The 2014 1/2 and 2015 models have a new decorative semi-circle ceiling treatment with LED lights above the bed which may have blocked a second vent.

We also have a small tornado fan carried over from our old RV (lol). It helps but the heat still accumulates and when we get into the steady upper 90s in September, it will be worse.

I posted in "Design Ideas" forum because I am betting the forward vent(s) are either on a 90 degree angle from the main duct line or the AC dumps at an acute angle to the main duct. Either way, there is negative airflow to the forward duct(s) that only a design change can remedy. Possibly putting a baffle in the ducts somewhere near the bathroom as a stopgap solution could help, assuming you could even get to the ducts. I'd love to see the actual design drawings.

jbeletti

LMC3,

My guess is the factory forgot to cut a second one in. Ask your dealer to do this as a warranty item.

GOTTOYS

Forgot to cut out the second vent...Really...Are there ANY quality control inspectors working there???...Don

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Our 2015 Key Largo also came with 1 supply and 2 return vents in the bedroom. We pulled the supply vent off to see how long the duct work is and where it stops. There was plenty of room to punch in another vent for the bedroom. We took pictures of the interior duct work showing it to the dealer who contacted Heartland about the problem. Heartland agree to cover the cost which wasn't much to punch in another supply vent near the closet end of the duct work. Now we have plenty of air being supplied into the bedroom.

LMC3

Wow, great response. I thought I was just leaving info for mfg. to change their product but these are great responses. Thank you.

Overall, this is a great unit. I don't think however well be able to get it into "our" old site at Jello Stone Campground in Cosby, TN, lol. As TN Chapter Leader (with the same rig), maybe I can look to you for TN campground suggestions.

We already have a few items on the "dealer owes" punch list; fairly short list compared to other units we've owned. Porch and landing gear lights don't work, bedroom door would not shut (door jam strike plate was out of alignment) and sewer line connect is touching one of the hydraulic legs. I'll have this discussion with them next week.

Again, thanks Nabo

Seren

We have 2 supply vents in our Grand Canyon in the bedroom. In addition, we took off the vent in the bathroom and placed a piece of plastic that covers half of the outflow, which causes more flow in the living room. Furthermore, we changed the vent angle in the bathroom so that it points to the bedroom (not sure of the orientation of the bedroom/bathroom in the Key Largo), this gives more cool air supply to the bedroom. The end result is that we have not had a problem keeping the RV cool and the CG we are currently in at NC was 90 yesterday in a site that is without shade. Usually our bedroom is cooler than the living room. Then again, we have our thermostats set at 74 which is comfortable for us. We also have programmed the bedroom thermostat to be off between 10pm and 8 am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LMC3

Thanks Seren, A duct baffle is a good idea. I'm going to see how it goes getting a second vent (they're rotating round vents in this unit) installed then see if a baffle is needed.

bob34787

just went to the storage facility and looked at my san Antonio, there are 3 returns and 3 outlets for the A/C

For20hunter

Well, I stand corrected. We have three AC Vents in our bedroom on our 2015 Key Largo, but two of them are returns on only one of them is an actual AC outlet vent. No wonder I have to use the fan to circulate the air up in the bedroom.

I wonder how hard it is to add another vent?

aRAYwego

I have 2 air vents in my bedroom, one on each side of the half round ceiling fixture (2015 Key Largo). My bedroom and bathroom are always the coolest places in the trailer. I put saran wrap over the bath vent and placed the grill back over it. Much improved airflow.

bob34787

like I said before I have a total of 6 vents in the bedroom, 3return and 3 outlets there is also 1 In the hall but none in the room with the toilet

LMC3

An Update 02/2015: After months of dealing with Camping World (Arggg), I now have two A/C vents and two returns in the Bedroom. Heartland agreed to the warranty repair and months of getting Camping World on the same page as Heartland has me back in operation. It did take 4 trips to CW and a combined two months of the unit sitting on their lot for CW to get all the warranty items fixed correctly.

For20hunter

An Update 02/2015: After months of dealing with Camping World (Arggg), I now have two A/C vents and two returns in the Bedroom. Heartland agreed to the warranty repair and months of getting Camping World on the same page as Heartland has me back in operation. It did take 4 trips to CW and a combined two months of the unit sitting on their lot for CW to get all the warranty items fixed correctly.

Have you had any hot days to test it?

Rod

LMC3

Not yet Rod, only a static test to check airflow. It'll be hot soon enough in a few weeks to see how the improved airflow will help. I'll need to update in March.