Yamaha 2000i parallel generator problem with 2013 BC3251TS

Milton_and_PeggySue

I looked thru the archives and couldn't find anything on this issue. We bought the Yamaha 2000i parallel inverter generators prior to our cross-country trip. We have not been able to use them in parallel. Milton called Yamaha and was told that these generators don't work on 120/240 50 amp wiring. We had done some research prior to purchase, so this was news to me. Has anyone come across this problem? Any suggestions on modifications?

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
They will not work for 50a but will work for 30a in parallel. That means only one AC and a small amount of other items is all that you can run using two 2000's hooked up together in parallel.

2TrakR

I have a pair of those and run our rig on them with a 50A to 30A adaptor. Will run one AC; or the hot water heater; or the microwave. Can't run more than one at a time with that setup on our rig. I think it's due to two fridges and the other "little" things pulling juice at the same time.
Both gens are cabled with the special cable and both must be on non-eco mode (i.e. wide open) and then plug into the 5th wheel. If it's real hot out, I set the AC to be on one speed as cycling can kick out the gens.

While I would prefer a regular on-board 5500 gen, having just one of these purring while dry camping is very nice. I can keep both fridges running and all the other little doodads with one on eco mode which works out to 12 hours on one gallon of fuel. Bigger appliances will kick it out, but toaster and such run fine on just one.

sjs731

I also have 2 Yamaha 2000s that I hook in parallel. Use the 30 amp adapter and away you go. As mentioned you have to limit electrical usage.

Steve and Carrie

HOC# 2252

2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax

B&W Companion Hitch

2012 Sundance 3300CK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grey Ghost

I run with duel Champion 2000i parallel inverters and it runs my A/C and everything else except hair curlers and dryers. Now I do run my hot water heater and frig on gas while dry camping so maybe that is why my A/C works along with TV and microwave. I only paid $300+ (each) for them on E-Bay about two years ago. Run good and only about 53 db so they don't drive out the people next door either! Much cheaper than Yamaha or Honda and they do the job.

Milton_and_PeggySue

Okay; thanks for the input. I think we have to run the smaller AC unit but can't use the convection oven with 30 amps. I guess I thought we'd get more out of them.

sjs731

Just had a little problem over the last weekend. The surge protector in my EMS-HW50C tripped and wouldn't let power into the rig. The relay chattered like crazy and then now power. Rewired the rig back to stock so I could run the air. Long story short I called Progressive Industries and got "Oh you have the Yamaha problem". According to them the induction load capability of the Yamaha 2000 watt inverter is less than the Honda and they have lots of calls with this problem. I can't find any info on those specs online but anyway sending my unit to Progressive so they can diagnose and fix. We couldn't do it over the phone because the remote display wouldn't work anymore either.

Steve and Carrie

HOC# 2252

2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax

B&W Companion Hitch

2012 Sundance 3300CK

jimpav

I have the same generators, and what I've done was to connect the parallel connector directly to the 50 to 30 amp reducer. I was then able to run either air conditioner with no problem. If I hooked the parallell kit to my 30 amp extension cord, the EMS tripped out immediately when turning on either A/C. The hard start relay I installed on the smaller A/C didn't seem to help much. It seemed like the added resistance of the extension cable was too much for the generators to handle.

sjs731

I run mine through the 50 amp cord with the 30 amp reducer on the end with no luck. Jimpav are you saying you run a short stub off your rig basically a 50 to 30 pigtail adapter....no cord?

Steve and Carrie

HOC# 2252

2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax

B&W Companion Hitch

2012 Sundance 3300CK

jimpav

Sorry for the late response, Steve. We just got back from Iowa for the week. . Yes, I just use the pigtail adapter directly into the parallel 30 amp adapter. No other cord, as I was having problems starting even with the hard start relay in the smaller A/C. I found that I could even run the 15K unit as well. (separately) let me know if this works for you as well.

sjs731

Thanks for the reply. I am going to order a 50 to 30 pigtail and try it. I just got a call from Progressive Industries today and they said that the sine wave gets so messed up when there is such a voltage drop that their unit can't handle it. Since I discussed with them what happened and they knew of the generator issue I had to pay to fix the unit. The circuit board and relay were destroyed. Still was cheaper than appliances or A/C unit.

Steve and Carrie

HOC# 2252

2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax

B&W Companion Hitch

2012 Sundance 3300CK