2007 Toyota 4Runner V8

Snugg

Hey everybody. New to the forum. Just picked up a fantastic deal on a 2011 21fbs. Super big sale here in CO at the ol Mile High Stadium! (Sports Authority Field) Will be pulling it with a 2007 4Runner V8. Included in the deal is a weight distributing hitch and brake controller. The 21fbs is a little larger than we were originally planning on, but couldn't pass up on the deal. Plus my wife fell in love with the interior. Well, all except for the small window in the dining area. But I can always switch it out with a larger window.
Hoping that this will be a good setup. Shorter wheel base of course, so I expect the typical challenges when big rigs pass us. Other than that, we are pretty excited. I tried searching first but didn't see anybody with a similar setup to see how they liked it.

S&M Family!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We tried pulling a 21fbs with a 2005 4runner. We werenot overloaded, and according to our numbers, the 4runner can pull it. However, we did not have a good experience. The trailer seemed very prone to "tail wagging the dog" when trucks pass. We felt we could not go over 55 and feel safe. We soon traded our 4runner for a Tundra pickup. Night and day improvement!

The 21fbs is a great trailer. You might have a different experience, but be aware the short wheelbase may be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snugg

I appreciate your input. That's great info. Did you by chance have WD Hitch? I'm hoping that it will help with those symptoms.

My apologies, I hit post too soon. For educational purposes, and mainly because I'm ignorant. Did your '05 have the 4.7 V8 or the 4.0? I thought the Tundra has the same motor. Did the wheel base make that much of a difference alone?
Haven't picked up the 21fbs yet. So unfortunately, I haven't even had a chance to pull it yet. Still waiting on financing. I would hate to get a setup that was unsafe. We still need to go through a final walk though and viewing. Likely going to happen Monday, Tuesday or Wed.

Last edited by a moderator:

TravelTiger

We did have a WDH and sway bar. I think it was a Husky. I know there are better choices out there, Hensley Arrow is good one that is supposed to virtually eliminate sway. Others can weigh in on this.

As far as the 4Runner, we specifically bought it to buy the trailer, based on the numbers it could haul it. It was a 4.7L V8, 4x4 Limited. Unfortunately, we did know to test tow before we purchased.

I would recommend before you sign anything to ask to test tow the trailer. See how it feels -- remember that this is empty towing, and weight of your stuff will be additional.

TravelTiger

Also, our first trip with our 21fbs was local. We didn't really have any issues. It wasn't until our first long trip, from Dallas to Durango, CO that we had issues. Lots of passing trucks causing sway, and some mountain driving, that we decided we'll need to consider something else to tow with.

Since then, I have seen a couple of 4Runners towing a 21fbs, so like I said, it's possible, and your experience may be different.

TravelTiger

As far as engines, etc. the new Tundra we bought was a 2008, 5.7L V8 double cab 4x4. Way more truck than needed for a 21fbs, but a pleasure to tow with!

Snugg

The eye opening part of this new venture is that our 4runner really can't be traded in at this point. We just purchased her last week. I will bend the trailer dealerships ear about the 21fbs.
My wife is scared we will make the wrong decision. My wife read your reply and she is making that face.... :/ Of course, once we have the trailer home, it's our problem if it was the wrong choice. She does want to travel to other states so those long trips are in our future.

I'm assuming it's a factor of the length of the 21fbs which is around 26.5' and the loaded weight. Expecting it to be around 5,500-5,900lbs loaded. Combined with the limitations of a 4Runner and it's shorter wheel base. We could always find a shorter camper say around 18-20'. But I'm not sure how much that will make a difference.

I do not know what brand WD Hitch or controller they are installing yet. I will find out more tomorrow when I follow up with them in the morning.

TravelTiger

I understand, it was a hard lesson for us to learn. We traded a 2002 V6 Tacoma in on the 2004 4Runner, because we didn't think the Tacoma could tow it. Btw, the RV salesman said, "sure the Tacoma can pull it!" We did our research and decided we needed to upgrade-- so we bought the 4Runner for towing!

We actually got close to what we paid for it when we traded less than a year later for the Tundra.

TravelTiger

I would insist on them getting you a Hensley hitch in the deal. You are right, once you drive away, it's your problem. Better to get the best sway control hitch available and feel safe!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If you plan on staying out here on the flatlands camping then your truck will be OK, but probably not enough truck in my opinion.

If you want to go up in the mountains, then you WILL need a bigger truck!

As for hitches, go to Lampert's Hitches at 38th & Perry in Denver . . . they know their stuff!

TravelTiger

According to the tow ratings the 2007 4Runner 4.7L v8 can pull 7000 lbs. 7300 lbs if 4x2.

Manzan

Snugg the weight can creep up real fast. Had our 21fbs weighed at Gillet and it came in at 6500 lbs. Full propane tanks, water tank half full, empty holding tanks. Food, clothes for two week trip. A good sway control hitch does a good job of keeping the trailer from wagging the TV. The wide track helps as well. We have used the same Reese Dual Cam Sway Control for three trailers over 25 years. Works like a charm but there are other good hitches out there.

Snugg

Thank you for the replies. I have decided to not purchase the 21fbs. We decided to go with a shorter and lighter trailer. Something like a 2015 Winnie Minnie Micro. 19' long and around 4k loaded. Your opinions have been greatly appreciated. Thank you.

TravelTiger

I hate that we can't help you become a Heartland owner, but I think you'll have a happier RV towing experience with your current tow vehicle.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I hate that we can't help you become a Heartland owner, but I think you'll have a happier RV towing experience with your current tow vehicle.

I was thinking the same thing, although there are many Heartland options that would fit his tow vehicle!

Today on my way to work I saw an Airstream being towed ahead of me . . . looked like at least a 24-footer!

And when I passed, I saw that it was being towed by a Honda mini van . . . way too small of a tow vehicle for that trailer.

They are just asking for trouble when it comes to trying to stop quickly . . . or in a mountain situation!

I wonder if they ever thought about the safety of their family that is riding in this unsafe tow vehicle?

I don't think that people realize the kind of risk they are taking when towing a trailer with a vehicle that is not only too small for the trailer they are towing, but also by towing a trailer with a vehicle that is not meant for towing any kind of RV trailer . . . period!

Unfortunately, someone is putting trailer hitches on these vehicles that are not meant to haul these trailers . . .

I had a close call with my big truck last week . . . imagine what would happen to someone in the same situation with a vehicle like a Honda mini van or a Toyota ForeRunner?

I started a topic thread about it . . . here is the story:

Today, while coming down the mountain on Hwy 34 (Big Thompson Canyon) from a week of camping in Estes Park, Colorado, we had one of those white knuckle experiences that we all fret!

I was following another travel trailer and was probably 8-10 truck-trailer lengths behind them.

It had just started to rain so the road was just starting to get wet . . . the speed limit 45 and we were going about 35 . . . then a blind sharp left curve and the trailer in front of me disappeared . . . I slowed down a little more . . . and as I rounded the curve, the trailer in front of me was stopped as another vehicle was making a left turn into a driveway and was waiting for oncoming traffic to pass!

"Oh $#!+!" I shouted out and hit the brakes, only to start sliding and squeeling . . . I let off the brakes . . . pumped them a couple of times . . . slammed them again . . . slid a little more . . . pumped them a couple more times . . . then put all I had as I slammed on the brakes one last time!

I was sure that we were going to run into the back of that trailer, but somehow I managed to get the beast stopped about 10 feet from the rear of that trailer . . . in a huge cloud of smoke as that burning rubber smell encased us!

And . . . somehow I kept the whole rig straight!

I pulled over about 10 miles down the road as there were no pull-offs handy that I could use (they were all closed off as this is one of the canyons that suffered major damage last year during the Colorado floods) to check everything out (including my shorts :eek: ), and all seemed to be OK, other than the kitchen drawers came open inside the trailer.

I don't know how I managed to stop . . . but I did!

We've been shopping for a new truck, and I told my wife that this was my current 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 trying to keep it's job!

Which it did very well today . . .

Took this shot as we were getting ready to pull out of our campsite about 20 minutes before the big skid:

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg