Cold shower surprise

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
I'm wondering if this is a problem of our unit, or a universal issue. While showering, I get the water just right, then use the cut-off switch to wash my hair and face. When I push the switch back on, I get a 3-4 second blast of very cold water. What happened to the hot water that was set just 15 seconds ago? Then I seem to have to reset the water temp, again. Is their an anti-scald valve in the line somewhere? :eek:

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
ours does that too but if you wait about 5 seconds with the nozzle turned away from you, the temp should resume to where you had it set, it does on ours at least.

Pulltab

Usually a check valve installed on the hot line will prevent that. The shut off causes a surge of cold water to run into the hot line at the shower and thus you get the present of process. :)

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Thanks for the replys. Out of the 4 other RVs, this is the first to have this issue. I suppose I'll get used to it.
Jay

Pulltab

Thanks for the replys. Out of the 4 other RVs, this is the first to have this issue. I suppose I'll get used to it.
Jay

You can buy the check valves at Rvsurplus in Elkhart or on their website. It is just a brass check valve that is pipe threaded both ends one male one female, you can install it on the water heater if you like but the closer to the faucet the better. They cost $5. Cheap fix. Or I suppose you could get use to it :):p

linuxkidd

Ours was solved with a different shower head... The one that comes with the RV ( and most designed for that purpose ) have a trickle flowing even with it shut off. The new shower head we got at our local dealership is a 100% shutoff. When using it, we still get a 'little' bit of fluctuation in temp, but it's completely usable throughout it's recovery time. No more ICE cold water.

I agree that there is a bit of cold push into the hot side, but I really think the key for this setup is that trickle allows the higher pressure of the cold side to push past the hot water and then you have a big slug of cold water in the line leading to the shower head.

Hope this helps!
LK

Netem

I always had the surge of cold water with my Fleetwood and a friend with a HR said his didn't do it. I thought he was pulling my leg but after reading this sounds like it doesn't have to be like that. I was hoping my new Sundance wouldn't be like the Fleetwood.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Again, thanks for the info. This a great site for information and ideas. I'm going to add the check valve and change the shower-head. That'll fix it. There are some things I just have to have and a hot shower is one of them. No surprises!

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
In our last RV we had some of that problem, and that shower valve shut the water down to a trickle. When we took our 1st Landmark shower and the shut off cut the water flow back to about 1/3 flow, instead of off, we reported it as another warranty item to be repaired. They assured us that was normal for the Landmark :confused:. We still considered changing the shower head out to what "we" thought should be normal, to conserve water usage. But we've not run out of water, not filled the grey tank too quickly, and it sure does feel good to have consistent warter temp. (Until someone decides to wash dishes while you're rinsing off. :eek:)
Sheri

soilmovers

When I push the switch back on, I get a 3-4 second blast of very cold water. :eek:

caddojay-
All kidding aside, hot and cold hydrotherapy is a proven, natural treatment for high blood pressure and to strengthen the immune system.
Sounds like you are off to a good start! It works for me.............

Cindy

HOSS

I will soon take delivery (this Thursday), of our 3670 Bighorn fiver. We are newbees to the rving life style. The 3670 has a 12 gallon hot water tank, so how long of a shower can me and/or my wife take before running out of hot water. I know some of you are probly laughing about now, but like I said we are newbees and haven't gotten our feet wet yet if you know what I mean.

HOSS

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Hoss I think you will find the 12 gallon hot water heater to be adequate. We have never had a problem with running out of hot water. We do use the valve that reduces the water flow while we scrub then back to full flow and rinse the soap off.

Don

HOSS

Thanks Don, We like our showers. Will I be ok with it oem, or will I need the check valve, just in case?

HOSS

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
The valve is OEM and I believe that I read on the forum that the new valves cut yhe water all the way off. Oh one more hint Hoss when we want to take a really long hot shower I turn on both the electric element and the gas and it recovers much fasters or keeps the water hot for longer showers.

Don