Big Country Bed

Bob Vaughn

When we get home from our Alaska trip we are going to have to replace the mattress in our 2011 Big Country 3250TS. My side feels like I am sleeping in an Army cot....when I get up in the morning you can see the indent in the mattress where I slept and during the night I have trouble turning over...........What do I need to know in order to buy a new mattress to replace the one that came in our unit?? Would something like a Temper Pedic mattress be a good choice? When we have had to take the current mattress out of the bedroom it takes 2 men and a small boy to get it thru the bathroom to the hall and down to the living room. I think delivery and installation will have to be part of the deal for what ever mattress we decide to get. I just wonder what I need to go look at?

danemayer

Hi Bob,

The two favorites that people commonly post about are the Camping World Sleep Number mattress and the memory foam mattress from LastingImpressionsFoam.com. In either case if you have a king size mattress now, it's actually an RV king size which is a few inches narrower than a residential king size. You'll want to make sure you're ordering an RV king.

The sleep number mattress requires a little assembly work and modifications to run power and air hoses. From what I've seen posted, the assembly takes place after bringing the pieces into the bedroom.

The memory foam mattress comes compressed into a large suitcase form factor. After carrying it into the bedroom, you cut the plastic, remove the mattress and watch it slowly expand.

You might need help with the weight, but getting these into the bedroom is much easier than getting the old one out.

The problem with ordering either of these is that you probably won't have an opportunity to try them out until you install them. I know on the foam mattress they have a return policy but I don't know how you'd deal with repacking the mattress.