Carpet replacement

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Even though we have a less than 3 month old unit, we see the carpet showing a lot of wear. Especially on the steps, where the slides rest when in, and the vanity area. Has anyone replaced the factory carpet with a better and thicker grade of carpet? I'm curious of the tolerances regarding the slides and if we installed a better carpet, would we have a problem with clearances? We've had great carpet in the past, and there's not much under these, so this will wear very quickly. The staples that were used are also very sharp when you step on one barefooted.

ChopperBill

I have found the ends of the slides have and aluminum plate to keep things ridged. With folks stepping on the carpet it has a tendency to bend the plate down and have notice that it make a "grove" where it slides in and out. I make a habit now of going around the slides and giving that area a tug up to keep it off the rest of the carpet when moving the slides. Have no idea about in front of the vanity deal.

jpmorgan37

We have a plastic runner (one of those with the spikes on the underside) that we place on the carpet so that the rollers and edge of the slide don't rub and wear the carpet when we are travelling. It sure helps.

John

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
we have the same problem with the slide-out making a mark on the carpet in our Landmark. Had been using a plastic carpet runner under each in of the slide. Then last month in Trailer Life Mag. I saw something called the Slide-out slicker which is used under each end of the slide-out. Order ed them but have not used them yet so I can't tell you how they work. Did a search on Google to find them.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Thanks for the info. We used a 12' X 12" piece of Vinyl floor tile for the rollers on the past unit. That seemed to keep the dent out of the vinyl floor. in the kitchen. I'm interested in the slide-out slicker. That probably is similar to the runners and vinyl tiles. My concern about the tolerances and the carpet may be a factory question. Thanks again.

RickNB

We had a problem in our bedroom with the bedroom slide marking the carpet in our new 2007 3200ES Sundance...also had same prob in our 2007 2800RL...our dealer service dept fixed it in the first unit so we were 'educated' when we got the 3200..they just raised the slide a bit and we haven't had a problem since...