Towing Speed in Cold Weather

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
First of all let me say I always tow at 100 KMH or less and have a Tire Pressure Monitor System. My question is, if I were to travel South from cold Alberta in the winter can I bump up my speed safely in the cold weather with cold highways until I encounter warmer weather. I assume the tire pressure would not increase as high as it does in warmer weather, is this a valid assumption? Doug

danemayer

Hi Doug,

From what I've read, tires are designed to dissipate heat that's primarily caused by flex. The higher the speed, the heavier the load, the lower the inflation, the more heat buildup you get. Road surface temperature may contribute, but I don't think I've ever seen it described as a primary factor.

When the tire carries a speed rating of 65mph, I think that rating means that the tire is designed to dissipate the heat buildup from flex, assuming load and inflation are ok. At 70mph, it can no longer dissipate the heat buildup and the internal temperature will climb, eventually damaging the internal fibers.

So if what I've read is accurate, and I understand it correctly, driving faster than the rated speed, even in the winter, will likely lead to tire damage.

Jim.Allison

I'm having trouble with your question, but here is my answer to what I think you are asking.

I don't know how far south is SOUTH for you, but lets pick Texas as an extreme, it can be hot as Heii here. So lets say you are leaving Canada in the cold season. I'm sure you have a method of pressurization for your tires based on your environment in Canada (of which I'm not familiar). That having been said lets say you are running 80 psi cold when you leave "0 degree" Canada. You cannot bleed hot air from your tires or you risk underinflation, so it is my opinion that you check your cold pressure readings each day BEFORE rolling your rig. As you come further south you will have to begin bleeding air out of your tires, a 50 degree morning vs a 0 degree morning is quite a difference, your pressures are going to build the more you travel into the more temperate climates. By the time you get to Brownsville Texas you will have bleed a few pound of air out, and by checking your cold pressures each morning you will be good for the day each day. 62 mph/100 kph is perfectly reasonable. You should not see anything outside the tires pressure capacity as long as you stay within the manufacturers cold pressure readings.

The cold pressure reading takes into the increase in tire pressure from heat. The manufacturer knows that if you stick to the old pressure rating that your tire will perform correctly.

My question for you is what kind of tires are you running on your trip down south? If you are running "Pops-A-Lot" or "BlowMax" or any other inferior Chinese tire you probably can expect a tire failure, but it won't be because you're in warmer weather. It will be because a Chinese tire is overloaded the day it is installed. It gets down here in on a 100 degree day and it comes apart.

I'm pulling a BC3650RL, I lost a 16 inch TowMax within 1800 miles, my solution was to substantially increase the load rating of my tires. Many advocate a higher rated chinese tire, I don't I advocate tires made in North America by North Americans. I dont care what anyone says no-one knows how to bond rubber to a tire carcass better than Goodyear Tire and Rubber/Firestone/Michelin. If it is a tire and it is not made in the USA or Canada then it is useless. IMHO

I think you should bump up that speed to 65 mph on our interstates. The Truckers generally stay in the right hand lane which is where you will be. They try to beat the clock by running 66, 67, but not much over that. At 62 every truck and most everyone on the highway will be passing you. At 65, not so much.

Where in the south are you going? And when?

First of all let me say I always tow at 100 KMH or less and have a Tire Pressure Monitor System. My question is, if I were to travel South from cold Alberta in the winter can I bump up my speed safely in the cold weather with cold highways until I encounter warmer weather. I assume the tire pressure would not increase as high as it does in warmer weather, is this a valid assumption? Doug