2015 3950FB Tow Vehicle Help

PTLOVER

41' 11" Long
Dry Weight = 14,350lb
That is after my upgrades of Washer Dryer, Double Pane Windows 2nd AC unit, Generator and 8000lb axles
Max Weight = 16,000lbs
Hitch Weight = 2,825

Have requested towing details from dealers of the big 3 and plan on entering the data into the beforeyoubuy website but wanted to check with the same folks that help me decide on the fifth wheel purchase.

I'm okay with the diesel
Is a dually needed?
Are the newer (2015) Single wheel trucks enough truck for the job.

Once the truck is selected what extra goodies should be added to also assure a safe and comfortable ride.

Thanks in advance for any input

The truck decision is starting to become harder than the fifth wheel

Patrick

DW_Gray

Re: 2015 3950FB Tow Vehical Help

With a trailer that long, I wouldn't want to tow it without a dually. It can be done by the 350/3500 SRW, but I would not personally feel comfortable with it. Driving in windy conditions with that trailer could give you some white knuckles and an elevated heart rate towing it with a SRW truck.

danemayer

41' 11" Long
Dry Weight = 14,350lb
That is after my upgrades of Washer Dryer, Double Pane Windows 2nd AC unit, Generator and 8000lb axles
Max Weight = 16,000lbs
Hitch Weight = 2,825

Have requested towing details from dealers of the big 3 and plan on entering the data into the beforeyoubuy website but wanted to check with the same folks that help me decide on the fifth wheel purchase.

Hi PTLOVER,

It looks like your numbers might be taken from the Heartland site with some puts and takes that you've estimated, as opposed to being actual weigh-in results.

I'd expect your Hitch (Pin) weight to be much higher than the 2,825 dry weight spec for the base model. You should plan on around 20% of GVWR, which would put it closer to 3,200 lbs, and it could go higher. Add to that the weight of the passengers, pets, tools, hitch, bed liner, bed cover, and anything else in your truck, and your payload will probably be over 4,000 lbs.

4,000 lbs payload can be found in a 3500/350 SRW, but it's at the high end. Our old 2011 GMC 3500 had a payload of 4,100 and handled our 16,000 lb Landmark without any problems. So I would say it can be done. But you need to know the actual specs on the specific truck you're planning to buy. Depending on configuration, there can be a huge variation in payload and 5th wheel towing specs.

Our new 2014 RAM 3500 dually has very good specs, well above what's needed for our Landmark, and well above the GMC. But the specs on our configuration are far, far lower than the maximums that everyone talks about for new RAM trucks.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

PTLOVER, Dan is probably correct on the Dodge. All I can tell you is my 2013 GMC 3500 HD D/A C/C LB DRW has a 5er rating of 22500# and GCVW rating of 30500# because of being a 4WD. I think a 2014 is the same...not sure on the 2015 models. Any of the new big 3 should do the job. IMHO, you need a DRW and the weight of the 5er will kill a gasser.

Last edited:

2TrakR

My 2011 3950 should spec out pretty similar if not a bit heavier on the OEM specs (definitely heavier when loaded). I'm pulling it with a SRW 2012 GMC 2500HD (crew cab, standard box, 4x4). Zero issues with power or wind. I have airbags to help with the big bumps, without them the trailer can be a little bossy when fully loaded and you hit one of those big bridge "bumps".

If you are only using the tow vehicle for towing, getting a dually long box with diesel (of course) would be the best bet.

PTLOVER

My 2011 3950 should spec out pretty similar if not a bit heavier on the OEM specs (definitely heavier when loaded). I'm pulling it with a SRW 2012 GMC 2500HD (crew cab, standard box, 4x4). Zero issues with power or wind. I have airbags to help with the big bumps, without them the trailer can be a little bossy when fully loaded and you hit one of those big bridge "bumps".

If you are only using the tow vehicle for towing, getting a dually long box with diesel (of course) would be the best bet.

I would prefer a 2500 but never pulled a fifth wheel and the comments about white knuckled driving with a SRW and how much more comfortable and confident in a dually, keeps ringing in my ear. I ask the dealer if they would bolt on the hitch and allow for test drive in each of the trucks (leaning towards the GMC) Hoping to do that before spending a the cash.
Where in Michigan

Jim.Allison

Isn't the Cummins a hoot?

Hi PTLOVER,

It looks like your numbers might be taken from the Heartland site with some puts and takes that you've estimated, as opposed to being actual weigh-in results.

I'd expect your Hitch (Pin) weight to be much higher than the 2,825 dry weight spec for the base model. You should plan on around 20% of GVWR, which would put it closer to 3,200 lbs, and it could go higher. Add to that the weight of the passengers, pets, tools, hitch, bed liner, bed cover, and anything else in your truck, and your payload will probably be over 4,000 lbs.

4,000 lbs payload can be found in a 3500/350 SRW, but it's at the high end. Our old 2011 GMC 3500 had a payload of 4,100 and handled our 16,000 lb Landmark without any problems. So I would say it can be done. But you need to know the actual specs on the specific truck you're planning to buy. Depending on configuration, there can be a huge variation in payload and 5th wheel towing specs.

Our new 2014 RAM 3500 dually has very good specs, well above what's needed for our Landmark, and well above the GMC. But the specs on our configuration are far, far lower than the maximums that everyone talks about for new RAM trucks.

Kbvols

Which ever TV you decide on I would ensure it comes with an exhaust brake. You will not regret. IMO

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A '13-14 Chevy/GMC 2500 HD D/A has a 17200# 5er rating....yes. Would I use one to pull that big of trailer...no. There is no outside size difference between the 2 except tow ratings and extra rear springs. Probably $2K difference in price depending on a 2WD or a 4WD truck to truck in equipment. I would buy as much truck as can now....than have to upgrade in a few years if you want a bigger trailer. Having had two SRW trucks and now having a DRW. I would never go back to a SRW. JMHO

BTW, all GM trucks from 2011 to now with the D/A combo have an exhaust brake as standard equipment. They work great.

Seren

X2 on the exhaust brakes. We have a GMC Denali 3500 SRW and tow a Landmark Grand Canyon and travelling through the Appalachians in NC, TN and VA we just put it in cruise control (not raining or in traffic of course) with the exhaust brake on and let the truck do its job, have not had any problems maintaining speed up and down the hills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jim.Allison

About the video, the question I ask is would you depend on the difference between a DRW and SRW to get you through the conditions that turned that rig over? A SRW truck would do exactly what a DRW did, but maybe a little earlier. But travel trailers are notorious for this anyway.

Note: They are stacked up in a construction zone and are traveling at a reduced speed also.

DW_Gray

About the video, the question I ask is would you depend on the difference between a DRW and SRW to get you through the conditions that turned that rig over? A SRW truck would do exactly what a DRW did, but maybe a little earlier. But travel trailers are notorious for this anyway.

Note: They are stacked up in a construction zone and are traveling at a reduced speed also.

You taking points are noted. Maybe in the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't make much difference.

When I was work-camping in CO for 6 months, all to frequently did I see on the news reports of big rigs and all types of RVs being blown over by high winds in the area, including southern Wyoming. I've driven by them too, but not with my RV.

What is important to know is when to pull off the road and wait out the windy conditions. There are few RVers on this forum that have noted the improved driving conditions when they upgraded to a dually.

I was lucky a few years back diving my rig through those conditions on I80. I was ignorant then and didn't understand what the flashing signs meant about light trucks and trailers.

Last edited:

Bohemian

Depend on a DRW to get through the worst of conditions? Absolutely not.

But that is a false proposition.

A DRW will give the driver more safety margin, more stability, more time to react. It will handle somewhat worse circumstances than a SRW. It's not just a simple black and white, yes or no proposition. That is a false dichotomy.

Neither will survive the apocalypse at the end of time.

farside291

I also have the 2015 3950FB and I tow with a dually. I would be concerned with the amount of pin weight and overloading the tires on the truck. The dually make towing in windy conditions much easier with more stability. My son and I carried in the LG washer/dryer combo unit and I know it was over 300 lbs in itself. Add that to the pin weight. Clothes in the front closet and what ever else my wife could possibly stuff in that large space is also added to pin weght. Not sure where the black tank is for that front toilet but I bet its up front somewhere, add that as well unless you empty everytime you pull it. These are just my thoughts on owning the exact same unit. Its big but awesome.

Jim.Allison

The Ram 3500 SRW has a 4000 payload and is well within the GCVW necessary to tow most anything that Heartland manufactures. As far a tires are concerned this is the 20 inch tire that is either standard or optional on the 2014 and 2015 Ram 3500HD see link: LT 285 60R 20 Transforce A/T or HT

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ed White Letters&partnum=86R0TATOWL&tab=Sizes

I also have the 2015 3950FB and I tow with a dually. I would be concerned with the amount of pin weight and overloading the tires on the truck. The dually make towing in windy conditions much easier with more stability. My son and I carried in the LG washer/dryer combo unit and I know it was over 300 lbs in itself. Add that to the pin weight. Clothes in the front closet and what ever else my wife could possibly stuff in that large space is also added to pin weght. Not sure where the black tank is for that front toilet but I bet its up front somewhere, add that as well unless you empty everytime you pull it. These are just my thoughts on owning the exact same unit. Its big but awesome.

Last edited:

2TrakR

I would prefer a 2500 but never pulled a fifth wheel and the comments about white knuckled driving with a SRW and how much more comfortable and confident in a dually, keeps ringing in my ear. I ask the dealer if they would bolt on the hitch and allow for test drive in each of the trucks (leaning towards the GMC) Hoping to do that before spending a the cash.
Where in Michigan

Near Midland, MI.

DRW will be better towing, zero question there. SRW will do the job, IMO, comfortably, but I'm only comparing against my 2012 GMC. If I had an 05 Chevy, it would be a different case. Same for a toy hauler that was only a tandem axle as the tri-axle adds a bit of stability (up/down and side/side). Harder to turn, well, harder on the ground itself...
In my case, the truck is a daily runner in addition to towing the Cyclone as well as a few other enclosed trailers for sleds/bikes/etc. and having the SRW is way more practical for around town/parking lots/etc.

I've only had this Cyclone and the BIL's 5'r behind this GMC. His is an 07 SOB ~36' toy hauler with triple axle. Substantially lighter (2 ton less is my guess based on the OEM numbers) than my Cyclone and it was a lot easier towing except it didn't have the box clearance nor the turning clearance (he has a slider hitch).

We had motorhomes for many years before this fiver (class A and C) and they could really, really, suck in high cross winds. There were times I'd have the Winnebago at an honest half a turn steady on the wheel to keep it corrected. With over 10K miles of towing the Cyclone through same conditions, to me, the wind is not an issue with this rig.

Jim.Allison

I pull with a 2500. You dont want a 2500. If you can get the math right its quite ok to tow with a SRW. But you will spend money bringing a 2500 up to the level of a 3500. If the math says you can do it then you can do it with a SRW. Todays vehicle are the best ever built by man. Exhaust braking, hillside assist, unlimited power in the diesels and super reliability. If the math works the truck works. But don't try to tow with a 2500 when you can get a 3500 for just a few buck more. The 3500 with the 20 in wheel option is a heck of a towing rig. look at that one I think you will be amazed at what it can do. DRW are not going to keep you from getting turned over, and my rig tows like a Cadilac. One mans white knuckles is another mans amusement. But if the math take you to a dually then go there. All the 6.7 diesels are going to pull like stripped apes.

Where in Michigan

Bohemian

The GVW difference between a 2015 Silverado 2500 and a 3500 with same options is about 75 lbs. The cost difference new is less than $1,000.00

In reality, these are the same trucks where the 3500 is the HD payload option.