Looking hard at a Elkridge 38RSRT

JEClark

Hello, my name is Jon and I'm a perspective heartland owner. So after much research all over the web, scouring the country for exactly what we want, reassuring my wife constantly about our decisions to buy and buy out of state (shes an engineer so needs lots of hard data) and lurking on this forum soaking up every piece of information I could find I believe that we are just about ready to make a purchase on a Elkridge 38RSRT. We had, over the course of the past year, actually really liked and were thinking about the Gateway 3650 BH and almost pulled the trigger on that, however we walked through the 38RSRT and fell in love with it. Wife loves the fact it has the rear hatch leading into a bathroom with a tub for the kids. We have a 3 and 5 year old that dirt seems to jump on at every opportunity, and I wouldn't have it any other way. We are thinking of taking a long drive to Virginia soon to get exactly what we want. Just got a new F350 Dually a few months ago and putting miles on it and burning diesel is still loads of fun for me. I actually went to a local dealer and felt like I was being taken to the cleaners, and when I told him what I thought I could get it for elsewhere, he said "Yeah but you're gonna have to drive all that way just to get it." I had to retort that "If I'm worried about driving a long distance, perhaps I need to rethink the notion of buying a 5th wheel." I'm sure there are 50 other questions I need to be asking you guys as a first time perspective 5th wheel owner, but I guess this post is really just to say hello and stop lurking in the shadows all the time.

danemayer

Hi JEClark,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Many of us have bought from distant dealers to get a better price. But it's also worthwhile having a local dealer if you have a home base. Some of the ExploreUSA dealers in Texas have been matching prices, and if you haven't talked with Joe French at Ron Hoover RV you might see what he's willing to do for you.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Hello, my name is Jon and I'm a perspective heartland owner. So after much research all over the web, scouring the country for exactly what we want, reassuring my wife constantly about our decisions to buy and buy out of state (shes an engineer so needs lots of hard data) and lurking on this forum soaking up every piece of information I could find I believe that we are just about ready to make a purchase on a Elkridge 38RSRT. We had, over the course of the past year, actually really liked and were thinking about the Gateway 3650 BH and almost pulled the trigger on that, however we walked through the 38RSRT and fell in love with it. Wife loves the fact it has the rear hatch leading into a bathroom with a tub for the kids. We have a 3 and 5 year old that dirt seems to jump on at every opportunity, and I wouldn't have it any other way. We are thinking of taking a long drive to Virginia soon to get exactly what we want. Just got a new F350 Dually a few months ago and putting miles on it and burning diesel is still loads of fun for me. I actually went to a local dealer and felt like I was being taken to the cleaners, and when I told him what I thought I could get it for elsewhere, he said "Yeah but you're gonna have to drive all that way just to get it." I had to retort that "If I'm worried about driving a long distance, perhaps I need to rethink the notion of buying a 5th wheel." I'm sure there are 50 other questions I need to be asking you guys as a first time perspective 5th wheel owner, but I guess this post is really just to say hello and stop lurking in the shadows all the time.

We just finished our 2nd trip in our 37 Ultimate. An awesome trailer. With just one kid, the bath and a 1/2 was all we needed, but I can see were the 2 full baths would come in handy. Don't hesitate to go to Virginia to get what you want. We purchased ours near Richmond and would do it again.

JEClark

So I'm looking at a 1200 mile return trip back to Texas. This was no big deal until I typed "Tires" into the search bar. Now I'm a little worried about the Towmax tires making it back here in one piece. I'm kinda on the fence here, as I'm thinking the stock tires should get me home, but I also feel like I'm playing Russian roulette with my brand new 5th wheel. Not even sure if I could or get another tire in the area, or if I could wait until I get home to change them out. Just looking for advice from some others that have made a long trip after purchasing. Thank you.

danemayer

Have the dealer swap out the tires for something you're comfortable with, as part of the deal. And unless you specifically pick a tire rated for higher speed, don't go faster than 65 mph which is the redline for most trailer tires.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you have time, you could order the coach with all the options you want including the GY G614's. Then it is a done deal. If you order it locally you might get a better deal. Download the HL MSRP off the forum, build the coach and then take 25-30% off that price. Then go make your deal.