Ordering a New GMC 3500 Crew Cab Dually Diesel Truck????

PTLOVER

I've decided to go big and not worry about if I have enough truck or not.

I have a 2015 BC3950FB with generator in front, 2nd AC unit, Washer/Dryer, home frig , double pane windows and 800lb axles
I was told dry weight is 14,350 after my extras
I was told max weight could be 16,000lbs (which is only 1600lbs inside the unit??)

I was hoping to put kayaks and bikes on the trailer and wondering if I upgrade trailer rims and tires can I increase my weight I can carry?

Now to this new truck
2015 GMC 3500 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x2 (maybe change to 4x4)???

I'm thinking of a 2nd fuel tank ? Suggestions

Air bags ??? Suggestions

I'm open to all suggestions to have both the truck and Fifth Wheel set up for an enjoying travel experience.

1st trip will be from Michigan to the Fla Keys this winter so I have some time to get both set up perfect.

It will be nice to post the final pics of both soon!!!!

Patrick

sengli

We have had ours for a couple of years, and 7K miles. So far its been fine, except for an issue with the DEF fluid system once. Our 3500 doesnt squat that bad when hitched up to warrant air bags. The stock 40 gallon tank is good for roughly 300+ miles according to DIC info. Seems like I usually get approximately 11MPG when towing. The no TPMS system on these trucks, still burns me up though.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We just ordered a 2015...based on the 2011 and the fact we have a 4,200 pound pin weight, air bags are not needed. Even at that weight our truck barely squats. The payload for that truck (2WD) is 5,558...can't imagine even with kayaks, etc. you will get close to that in pin weight. Have not felt the need for a second fuel tank, but it might be nice. I didn't see that as an option when we ordered. We use pressure pro for a TPMS...like it much better than the OEM kinds....

MTPockets

We installed the 50 gal below the rail Transfer Flow tank which automatically fills the main tank as you drive. Love the convenience of over 800 towing miles and over 1000 when not towing. This tank also allows the added pleasure of our F1 BakFlip hard tonneau cover to hide and secure stuff in bed when not towing.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
"Legally" you should not exceed the 15500 lbs. GVWR shown on the trailer tag (and the catalog). Doesn't mean there aren't some people out there that do. And there haven't been any reports of the "weight police" pulling RV's over to check them. Possibly, if you were involved in an accident, being overweight might bite you if you're deemed at fault. Mounting different tires won't change the limits. Catalog says the pin weight is 2825, but with the genny, 2nd AC, and W/D, you may want to take it to a CAT scale and see what it really is. I'd guess considerably more. Unless you ordered an upgrade to the axles, the catalog shows them as 7000 lbs. with E-rated tires on them. Based on the catalog numbers and the dry weight you gave, you're limited to 1150 lbs. of cargo. Catalog says it can carry 2500 lbs. (that's stock without the genny and other options you have).

whp4262

I have a 2015 BC3950FB with generator in front, 2nd AC unit, Washer/Dryer, home frig , double pane windows and 800lb axles
I was told max weight could be 16,000lbs (which is only 1600lbs inside the unit??)

I was hoping to put kayaks and bikes on the trailer and wondering if I upgrade trailer rims and tires can I increase my weight I can carry?

Now to this new truck

Air bags ??? Suggestions

I'm open to all suggestions to have both the truck and Fifth Wheel set up for an enjoying travel experience.

1st trip will be from Michigan to the Fla Keys this winter so I have some time to get both set up perfect.

Patrick

I installed a AT50RU tank and Freedom Fill system from http://www.attatank.com/ in my 2013 Chevy 3500 Dually. It takes a little work to install it but it works good and fits in the bed of the truck nicely. It has a computer module that ties into the truck's main tank sending unit and when the fuel level gets down to 1/2 tank it turns on an electric transfer pump filling the truck tank to 3/4 before shutting off. It continues to cycle until the aux tank runs out of fuel. The Aux tank also has it's own fuel gage and on/off switch mounted in the cab so you know how much fuel is in it and you can turn it off if you don't want it to transfer fuel.

PTLOVER

I did upgrade to the 8000lb axles and thinking about upgraded the rims/tires. If I would have known or salesman told me as I was added the extras that that was coming off my underwear and food supply I may have consider the extra weight of the extras.
Not sure how much my inside stuff will weight.
Thanks for the input

PTLOVER

Thanks

That tank sounds perfect
My goal is to get an entire day of driving without leaving the hwy and that should do it

mobilcastle

I am very happy with my truck. We are close to 16K fulltiming. I put in an 65Gal below rail tank so when full I have over 90 Gal of fuel on board. Towing at about 11-12MPG. No air bags on mine-I don't think you will need them. I will say 1500# for cargo is not much. Good luck.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I may be wrong, but I thought that GM offered a 56 gal tank on long bed trucks as an option. Had a 34 gal tank in bed tank made. I now have 70 gal of fuel and at 10mpg average...thats 700 miles of driving. I aint gona drive that much in a day anymore. At my age my bladder aint that good anymore and neither is the hounds or DW's.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I just picked up my new truck about 24 hours ago:

NewTruck2500HD-IMG_20140823_121212002.jpg NewTruck2500HDodo-IMG_20140823_182137907.jpg NewTruck2500HDsm-IMG_20140822_202351380.jpg

First shot was in the parking lot at work today . . . second - check out the odo - 150 miles on the truck this afternoon . . . third shot was just before I left the dealership last night!

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 with 6.0L V8 gas engine, 4.10 rear end . . . and the trailer package with built-in trailer brake controller.

I don't have a 5th-wheeler, but this should pull my Trail Runner through the Colorado mountains without issue.

Boostable

I have a 2015 GMC 3500 DRW and had bags added before I took delivery of the new trailer anticipating I would need them. I don't... Truck is perfectly happy without them.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I just picked up my new truck about 24 hours ago:

View attachment 31444 View attachment 31445 View attachment 31446

First shot was in the parking lot at work today . . . second - check out the odo - 150 miles on the truck this afternoon . . . third shot was just before I left the dealership last night!

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 with 6.0L V8 gas engine, 4.10 rear end . . . and the trailer package with built-in trailer brake controller.

I don't have a 5th-wheeler, but this should pull my Trail Runner through the Colorado mountains without issue.

Is that the Deep Ruby Metallic...that's the color we ordered too! But we got the 3500 DRW CC...goes online this week!!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Is that the Deep Ruby Metallic...that's the color we ordered too! But we got the 3500 DRW CC...goes online this week!!!

Yup!

Ironically it is the same color as my old truck (1996 Dodge Ram 4x4).

That will be going up for sale here in a few days.

jdamude

Now to this new truck

Air bags ??? Suggestions

Patrick

Your new truck looks great. In your comments above, you noted that you want to carry kayaks with you when travelling. I would be interested in knowing his you are going to do this. We have a 2014 3650RL and I have been looking a methods to carry bikes and kayaks.

I would strongly reccomend installing air bags. It makes a big difference in stability and also allows you to level the truck out once loaded.