gel coat finish

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I think the units with gel coat look much classier. I didn't get it when we ordered our because I wanted to keep our weight down. If I were to order a new trailer now, I would load it up and upgrade the running gear. The heavier axles and tires were not an option in 07.

GaryB

I just ordered my first RV ('09 3055RL). I debated endlessly about getting certain options, mostly gel coat, dual pane windows and second AC. At the end, I did not get the gel coat, but did order dual panes and second AC (along with a few other options, such as leather recliners, slide awnings, electric patio awning, electric rear jacks, counter extension).

The main reason I didn't order gelcoat is because this is first RV and I'm not sure how much I'll like the lifestyle. Since gelcoat is rather costly, I figured I probably wouldn't recoup most of that money if I decide to sell it in a few years (unless I get the "perfect" buyer who is dead-set on gel coat). Then again, if YOU know YOU will like RVing and plan to keep the trailer for awhile, gelcoat may be the way to go.

Regarding the advice of others, my dealer told me he would recommend to order gelcoat IF he planned to keep the unit longer then 3-4 years (since fading can differ slightly over time between the non-gel coat sides and the front/rear caps which are always gelcoat). Other people told me to definitely get it. And still other people (including a few at Heartland factory) said the regular finish will be fine and already has some gelcoat in it (it's just not the same thickness as with the gelcoat option).

So I'm beginning to think there are no "right or wrong" answers; it's all a matter of preference, type of usage and willingness to spend money on more stuff. Some people may not mind spending $1700 on something which may offer some benefit; others may not want to fork over $1700 for something that is mostly cosmetic, especially if they plan to keep the unit under covered storage most of the time to reduce UV ray exposure and thus possible fading over time. I rationalized that, since this will be my first RV, I will use it as a "learning curve" for my next step up in case I really love RVing and will stay with it for a long time. Then again, by getting a Big Horn, I hope that my next "step up" will be quite a ways down the road since it's a very nice RV with or without gelcoat.

Anyway, this is JMHO based on the results of my research. Since I've not rec'v my 3055RL yet, I may be totally wrong with everything that I've said! In that case, I'll need to live and learn what is really important based on my upcoming experiences. I am looking forward to that!

Best of luck!
Gary