Dash Cameras

porthole

Retired
Dash cams - everyone I'm sure has seen the plethora of Russian dash videos and the need - want for a dash cam.

The latest great video out there is some Good Sam's pulling a grandparent and child out of a terrible wreck involving a fire.
I'm sure there will be a lot to come of this video with the lack of effort on the part of the van driver, the police and the fire department to supply aid to the victims.

And a big Bravo Zulu to the Good Sam's that did the deed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeSmeZ5nvWU

So, that said. Last year while heading up to the New York rally at Turning Stone Resort we were cut off by some ignorant dumb azz Canadian truck driver.

Right lane closed for construction ahead, we were doing the posted limit (whatever it was at the time) Tractor trailer came flying up behind us and just as we were in the one lane section he began to pass us on the right.

He knocked over cones to pass on the right and ran us off the highway unto the shoulder.

I looked for troopers for the next 20 or so miles, of course the 2 times we saw one they were well hidden and we were well past by the time we saw them.

But - if we had a dash cam, I absolutely would have stopped to visit a trooper. If nothing else, I would have implored on the troop to at least stop the trucker, and perhaps do a roadside inspection and do something to ruin his day.
I did write the company and posted on their facebunk page, but we never heard anything.

So, back to dash cams.

Using one?
Happy with it?
Quality?

Can you actually read a plate number or truck ID number with it?

While at Urbanna I bought one of the cams that the vendor Techno RV was selling.
I guess you get what you pay for. The camera is about useless for what I wanted it for.
The video quality is poor, certainly not HD, the buffering can be excessive at times and it does not maintain a date memory. And, if you leave it off too long, the battery goes dead and will not restart until it has been on a 12 volt supply for a good long time.

Lets begin :rolleyes:

White Oak Transport, truck number 2684R, if your ever lucky enough to be near this moron, be careful.

Attachments

• IMG_2072_b.JPG
    IMG_2072_b.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 154

ILH

Re: Dash cams Dash cameras et all

I noticed that Garmin has one - sold through Costco. At least the quality should be reasonable.

Lynn1130

They are good and in a case of a crash or some very serious behavior might provide the police with something to work off of, however, traffic violations caught on camera cannot, in most all states be followed up upon by the police. It might make a good stop for a chat with the driver but if the violator tells the officer to P--- off he has little choice. Civil violations and minor misdemeanor laws NOT committed in the officer's presence cannot be acted upon.

Gary521

There are several and reviews can be found on Youtube. I have one designed for RC aircraft but it comes with several different types of mounts and one is for a windshield. I use it in my race car to either view out the front or rear. The video is HD so any plate is plainly visible. The camera is a Mobius and has a base price of $75.

porthole

Retired
They are good and in a case of a crash or some very serious behavior might provide the police with something to work off of, however, traffic violations caught on camera cannot, in most all states be followed up upon by the police. It might make a good stop for a chat with the driver but if the violator tells the officer to P--- off he has little choice. Civil violations and minor misdemeanor laws NOT committed in the officer's presence cannot be acted upon.

Maybe so, but a civilian can act.
And as an LEO, one could follow and look for their own viewed infraction, which is what is done here in Jersey. The highways here encourage civilian call ins about dangerous drivers. As well as a "welfare" check of the driver.

But, in our case, a stop and lengthy chat, paperwork inspection etc, would have been OK for us at the time, anything to slow down his "hurry".
If we were no so far from home I would have signed my own ticket against him

Curious though, how many drivers have told you to just P--- off and you said have a nice day and let them continue?

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I can't remember any situation like that happening with out a signed autograph.

porthole

Retired
The video on the camera we got at Urbanna is also rated at HD. But, it is far from any HD we have seen.

I may pony up and go for the Garmin offered by Costco. 2.5 times the cost of the cam we have, but if I don't like it at least it is easy to return.

Costco's website does not list the cam they carry, but it is this model by Garmin
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Dash-Standalone-Driving-Recorder/dp/B00HFMN46S

My current cam, because the battery died, would not come on on our way home from the PA rally. So we did not get to record an incident.

After 230 miles and 2 miles from our house we had a near miss. Teen girl, in the lane to our left, made a right turn in front of us for an exit ramp. Real hard brake and I am still surprised I did not get her right rear quarter. The Garmin has a g-force sensor as well as a GPS built in. Features I now would like to have.

porthole

Retired
I can't remember any situation like that happening with out a signed autograph.

What do you mean Jim?

As far as the autograph, I have signed two tickets against drivers. One was a dump truck that dropped a stone and cracked my windshield. That was a "load to spill" summons. I don't remember the outcome of the summons.

sstdusty

I've used my go-pro in the windshield. Great picture, weather proof and I can take it and continue videoing if I need to.

Ladiver

When practicing for my Class A, my buddy told me to get one. He works for UPS and he has one in his truck. Said it has saved his job a few times because of what others do and say. A camera does not lie.

I looked at many different ones and settled on a Lukas model. I like it because it logs everything and even has a mode that permanently saves video in the event of an accident (based on g-force). It is fun to go back and watch some of the stuff that I have captured.

Just on our last trip, we were coming home and witnessed a rollover coming towards us, from oncoming traffic. Scary to say the least. Thankfully both wife and I keep up our First Aid/CPR training. We stopped along with another truck driver and an off duty cop. I stayed on the phone with On-Star who relayed all information to EMS. Thankfully the three occupants of the vehicle only appeared to have minor injuries. After EMS arrived they asked for statements and we left. It was an hour or two later that I remembered I had the dash cam (that was the last thing on my mind)! After completing the 6+ hour drive, I pulled out the card and looked back at the footage. Well, the card had just overwritten the accident and the furthest back I could go was 5 minutes AFTER we left the scene. So, lesson learned...get a bigger SD card. Be able to record AND STORE more than 8 hours of video. Or keep another one, like I do, and just remember to replace it if an incident occurs.

I like the Lukas, I have it hardwired and it automatically turns on and off. I never have to do a thing as it always records!

Ladiver

I've used my go-pro in the windshield. Great picture, weather proof and I can take it and continue videoing if I need to.

I opted against a GoPro because you always have to remember to turn it on. I don't think there is a way to gps locate or record speed. The GoPros are awesome (I always carry one), but for a dashcam there are better options.

Ladiver

Jeff,
You have a very tolerant wife. :)
My wife says I already have too many gadgets. LOL Trace

I love her very much. Sometimes she can be too tolerant though. ;-)
I think she needs the 7900 in her car and I need the 9700 Duo for the truck/trailer. I wonder if she would go for that.

I don't think I'll push it. I just got a new hunting rifle (that SHE talked me into)!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I would differ that an officer cannot issue a citation based upon a citizen complaint. If you don't mind coming back for court, it can be done. You can also testify to the tape's authenticity and get it entered into evidence in case of a trial.

Lynn1130

Porthole, We could always find a reason to make a stop. Lane change without a signal, bad taillight, cracked windshield and you can make someone's life just a little harder when they flunk the attitude test but if all you have is a citizens word and view and nothing else any attempt to push the issue with nothing to back it up makes the officer out the idiot when it is all over and I think we have all seen those clips on the evening news. I have been told to P off on more that one occasion and a few went to jail and a few walked because I had nothing to work off of. Sometimes bluffs work and sometime not.

A citizen can act, but I never recommend that especially in the world today. Too easy to get a good butt kicking or dead for some very minor deal. Be a good witness and call it in but be aware that sometimes nothing more can be done so don't rag on the police for not doing anything. They may be legally prevented from doing anything.

Jayc-I am not sure about your state law but a section of ours says that certain violations CANNOT be acted upon by an officer unless committed in his/her presence. We used citizen arrest forms for some of those and you signed it, I booked him, and you go to court. There are only a few a citizen can make an arrest on. And not traffic.

Here is a logistical nightmare-The Phoenix metro area has 3.5 million people. I don't know how many drive but a big figure. So we send an officer out to cite every driver that someone calls in on every day. And how do we know what they called in on was really a violation of the law or a citizen wanting to get back at his neighbor? Video might help but who is going out to view all of those videos, run the plate and then spend the next month trying to catch up with the violator so we can give him a $100 citation? A lot of wasted time/money for some petty violation and we would be the first asking why the cops are not chasing real criminals.

I should add as clarification that there is a difference between civil violations (most traffic offenses). misdemeanors and felonies. Most states allow officer to make arrests on probably cause for misdemeanors and felonies but not civil violations. There are always some exceptions but not many and you had better be right if you do it because it will get ugly in court if you are wrong.

d_fergie

I had an inexpensive one for about a month & left it in cab in 105+ temps... a coworker has same one working fine for over 6 months, get a 32mb SD card to keep from looping over previously recorded videos as suggested.