Canada travel

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
I didn't quite know where to place this question, so the general forum it is. We are getting ready to take off from our corner of East Texas in mid-April and make our way through the Pacific Northwest and Canada for 3-4 months, or as long as the fuel card holds out. The 2 questions that have so many answers are this:
1. Travel with pets out of the USA. What's required from Canadian immigration? Our vet said she wasn't certain if Canada needed a specific form filled out, or would a vaccination letter be sufficient.
2. We are both retired Law Enforcement and carry weapons. I understand you can not carry weapons to Canada and that we could leave them at a local PD when we leave and return. The rub is that we are going in through Washington and coming back to the US through Montana.
Has anyone dealt with these issues? You would think that I could find the information through US or Canadian Immigration, but they don't address these specifically. With the on-going changes and restrictions in crossing borders, the rules seem to change every week.
(Note to moderator-As I stated, I didn't know where to place this question. Could a general travel question forum be added?)

jpmorgan37

Jay;

We have traveled into Canada with dogs and all we had to have was their inoculation records and current rabies certification papers from the vet. No license was required (this was about 3 years ago.

John

creeper

When I go to Canada I leave my weapons home as we normally don't leave and come back the same way.

Then again there was an RVer who hid his gun in the woods on the US side of the border and picked it up the next time he came through the area, nearly a year later I believe. Not a thing I would do.

When I was a kid my dad dropped off his gun at a local PD when we went into Canada, we came out a few hundred miles away and the gun has been there for the past 40 years.. :)

Dale Smith

Leave home without them

I guess I will be as gentle as I can. Not sure why someone needs to travel the country in an RV enjoying nature and beauty.....and carry a weapon. I guess this practice is just foreign to us in Canada. I met someone at a Flying J near Buffalo last fall and he was very upset with the hassle he had when he tried to bring his gun into Canada on a trip that summer. Couldn't help myself but ask why he thought he needed one and he just looked at me like I must be kidding.

You will not need your gun in Canada and I would just come with your smile and enjoy our hospitality, and the beautiful countryside, just as we do when we visit your great country.

Try it you'll like it !

Jay,

We've made the into Canada from Washington and exit in Montana trip. But we didn't take a firearm because of the Canadian rules. If I remember right, the work around for the two different locations for entering and exiting Canada was a hassel. You have to find a certified/registered (whatever is correct term) gun dealer in Washington who will mail through the proper methods, your weapons to a certified/registered dealer in Montana who will receive them and hold them for you. Finding the dealers is the challenge, and there will be fees.

The dog immunization documents has already been answered.

Another thing that we did for Canadian travel was contacting our auto insurance company for a "proof of insurance" valid for Canada. I think they just E-Mailed the copies of the form to us.

Check you cell phone provider for Canadian usage.

Passports - your need for passports has been in the news lately so I'm sure you know to take them.

Good luck and good traveling. I know you will have a great time.

Jim

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Thanks for the info on the pets. Dale, Canada is indeed a great place. We've flown in to Calgary 4 times and twice rented an RV there for a week. As for the weapons, I suppose it's a fact that many people carry weapons in the USA, legally and illegally. Since my wife and I have spent our entire working life as police officers in Dallas Texas, we got to see too much of what you probably have never seen. We have never gotten involved in any matters that could have been best handled by local police. 911 works great for that problem. I suppose it's just having been in the business for too many years. Yes, Canada is a beautiful place, but there is that thing called winter, there. And luckily, we're full-time Texans...

We are Canadians, we live near Vancouver,and travel extensively in our fifth wheel in B.C. and Western Washington and nobody here would even think of carring fire arms with them on a trip, you just don't require that extra protection that you need down thier.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Following is the link that you need for taking your dogs into Canada. Basically all they need is their up-to-date rabies, but the form for this must be more specific than usual. Our vet had no problem with it though. http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/dog_chien_3e.shtml

Like Jim, we also got a special insurance card that included Canada. Got one for the 5ver and the TV. Only required a visit to our local insurance office.

We left the firearms at home and fortunately didn't run into any crazies down here (South of the Border). Sure did give us pause for thought though when overniting in Wal-Mart parking lots, etc.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Come on up and if you do nothing else, make the trip between Banff and Jasper on the Columbia Icefields drive. It is spectacular. Stay a few days in both spots and take day trips. By the way you can now reserve campsites in our National Parks, here is the web site: www.parkscanada.ca

Enjoy your trip..../Doug

truknutt

Committed Member
Caddojay,

Here is the U.S. State Department's info on Canada. There is a section entitled "SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES: IMPORTATION OF FIREARMS". Explains procedures and lists a site for downloadable forms under the heading "Visitors to Canada ."

Hope this helps,

Good Luck Ye Olde Gunslingers, you!

Dave

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
I am not going to address the gun issue because I don't have the proper information.

I am Very pro Vancouver, I lived in the area most of my life. In all my travels, you really can't beat the scenery, the people are warm and friendly and it is very culture oriented. It boasts the second largest Chinatown in North America. I will say that Vancouver, like any other large city, is not devoid of violent crime. I know there were five gang murders during the two weeks my sisinlaw was down here visiting. The murder rates appear to be rising. The violent crime rate in Houston is actually decreasing. I don't know if packing a gun will keep anyone safer,,, but that is a personal decision.

I hope you have a wonderful time, I miss it there. Elizabeth

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Thanks again for the info and links. We've really enjoyed the trips we've taken to the Stampede and the Alberta area. We intended to make the drive to Victoria the last time we were there, instead we spent a week in Two-Jacks Park in Banff and only made it to Lake Louise for a day trip. We're coming for an extended period, this time. The folks are incredibly friendly, and who'd-a-thunk that Calgary has a great China-town, as well. I got to see the Northern Lights in a rare atmospheric phenomenon one night at around 3:00 A.M. It was bizarre to see literally hundreds of people standing on the side of the toll-road looking at the lights. The other bizarre issue was the "dusk" that substituted for night.
It'll be a good time.

foleyhs

A good idea is to go to your local book store and purchase a current Milepost. This book has most of the requirements you are looking for and has helpful articles on where things are along the way. Enjoy your trip, as there is so many neat places to see thru western Canada.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
I had a phone conversation with a Seattle PD LT. and he said that they have held weapons for other law enforcement for trips into Canada. We may just travel this trip unarmed since we're going in and out in diferent areas. I can still carry my pocket-knife and my steak nife.

"911 is a great system, if why you're calling it, is not happening to you".