Mobile DVR for Dash/Cab Cameras

jbeletti

I'm starting this thread to discuss the use of a Mobile DVR to use with a dash/cab "multi-camera" setup.

This spring, in Elkhart IN, I was involved in an accident where a car slammed into the side of my truck while in motion. They were pushed over into my lane by a semi truck turning right on red with no stop.

Also this spring, in Memphis, TN, my truck was burglarized. Simply stated, someone opened one of my unlocked bed cabinets and took a plastic shoe box of electronic testers.

In both cases, while a video recording would not have prevented my loss, I'd feel better having video evidence. In the case of the accident, I'd have loved to have video of that semi truck running the light and pushing to car into me. In the case of the burglary, I'd love to have video of the face of the person who took my stuff. While I didn't know I was burglarized until a couple of days later, I still may have had the video, depending on the system being used.

By Mobile DVR, I mean a mobile optimized recording system that runs on 12 VDC and is capable of recording multiple concurrent video channels. That's really it as a minimum.

Other features I'd like:
  • Small form factor
  • 4 camera capability
  • Adjustable shut-down timer (say, 1 to 120 minutes after ignition shut-off)
  • 64 GB SD card capable
  • Multiple SD card capability
  • 3-axis G-Shock Sensor (where shock is noted in video)
  • GPS Receiver (where speed, direction and position are noted in video)
  • WiFi built-in (Wi-Fi client for wireless offload)
  • LAN port (for network connectivity - i.e. you have a router in the truck with an Ethernet port)
  • Cellular capable (not high on my list but a nice-to-have feature to access to DVR remotely)
  • NTSC Composite Video Output
  • HDMI Video Output
  • WiFi accessibility to Video (i.e. the ability to see a single or all 4 cameras from a dash mounted iPad or other tablet or computer - all connected to the same WiFi network)
  • 1 Channel and 4-Channel matrix display (switchable)
  • Manageable via HTTP
  • $400 max retail price
I'll add to and refine the above features as I do more research and think through what my true needs are.

jbeletti

Okay - changed my mind on what I want "for now". So no plans to keep this thread updated.

Here's the new thread that I will be updating.