Warped Cargo Door from Generator running

blkdodge

I ran the gen. for about an hour with the compartment door closed and it sure warped it. I know of people that run their gen while in transit to precool coach and I have read this alot on forums. I guess my question is, do have to install a vent in the door? I did remove the cut-out panel in the base of the generator compartment. FYI the generator in a Onan Marque Gold 5500 LP. I would like to get this figured out before I order a replacement door.

Any Thoughts Would Be Appreciated

David

dbbls59

Read the installation instructions for the generator. This should tell you if you need a vent in the door.

porthole

Retired
Have a picture?
Any chance your door was wet inside to cause warping? On our 6th season with the Cyclone and no issues with the door.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I run almost the same generator with the cargo door closed all the time.(4 years)
Never had any issues. I agree that maybe there is another cicumstance that may have caused it. Trace

Last edited:

scottyb

If I recall, there is a notation in the owner's manual to not run the generator with the door open. It says that it could decrease the airflow and cause it to over heat. The weekend before last I ran mine for 86 hours straight with the cargo door closed, in 100+ heat.

brianharrison

Is it an OEM installation or dealer/DIY? The reason I ask is the Marquis Gold is an old nomenclature, not used for a couple of years, to my knowldege. If it has that marking on the generator it may be new old stock installed by dealer, or previous owner if you are not original owner.

If that is the case, ventilation may not have been done correctly, and your removal of the bottom cut-out panel may have solved the concern (you do not say if this was before or after the door warping).

As mentioned - from factory, the install should allow running the generator with the door closed.

Brian

blkdodge

It was use that I bought from a friend of mine and a DIY install. The coach was "generator preped" ie. cabinet,stand and control wire and inside switch. I will take a pic and post it later today.

Thanks for all the replies

David

brianharrison

It was use that I bought from a friend of mine and a DIY install. The coach was "generator preped" ie. cabinet,stand and control wire and inside switch. I will take a pic and post it later today.

Thanks for all the replies

David

OK, that helps. Possibly someone with an OEM Generator installed can post some pictures of the bottom ventilation. You can compare.

Brian

branson4020

Icantre Member
This certainly sounds like too much heat in the compartment. Do you have the exhaust piped to the outside of the compartment? Do you have the necessary cutouts for intake and exhaust cooling air in the floor of the compartment? Here's a picture of the ventilation requirements from the 5500 Gold installation manual.

983-0600B.jpg

Also note that there should be a baffle between the intake and exhaust air.

Jim.Allison

I installed mine and paid particular attention to the cut outs, I laid them out according to the drawing and made all access holes, intake, flywheel, and exhaust. I have 100 hours in the Texas heat with the door open and closed. I have suffered no warping of any kind.

I cannot imagine the amount of heat that would have to be present to damage that door. That cool air comes from outside and goes back outside. Something is wrong.

porthole

Retired
If I recall, there is a notation in the owner's manual to not run the generator with the door open. It says that it could decrease the airflow and cause it to over heat. The weekend before last I ran mine for 86 hours straight with the cargo door closed, in 100+ heat.

Scotty, I believe the notation refers to not running the genny with the front cover off. The front cover in place is required to pull air across the surfaces that need it most.