Microwave fire in my Motorhome

emsgranny

Has anyone had a microwave spontaneously start and cause a fire? I have a2014 3950 that that has happened to. If so how did you get it resolved? We have put our unit up for sale and now this has happened so we cannot currently sell it till resolved. Please advise of best way to get this resolved quickly. New one installed would be great.

jimtoo

Re: Microwave fire

Hi emsgranny,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum.

You don't say what kind of microwave you have, but there was a recall on a few microwaves. You might check with Heartland at 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032, have your VIN handy when you call.

Jim M

Bohemian

Re: Microwave fire

Yes, in our motorhome. There was a recall for fire hazard. We contacted the manufacturer and they sent a new microwave.

We were very lucky, only the inside of the MW burned.

emsgranny

Microwave is a frigidaire. No recall on it as per Heartland or Frigidaire. Neither are being very helpful. Heartland says call Frigidaire. Frigidaire wants a tech to come out to our place on our dime. We live out of town and service call will be over $150.00. No guarantees with that. We are too lucky that fire was contained in microwave. It just seems with spending top dollar on a unit we would be getting things looked after better. It is just over a year old and microwave was literally used 2 times.

danemayer

Check the information below to see if you're in the model/serial number range for the recall. If you've got a different model or are outside the s/n range, you may want to discuss with Frigidaire whether the recall is too narrow.

Frigidaire KG-series microwaves, models CFMV152CLB and CFMV154CLS, manufactured January 27, 2013, through April 10, 2013 in the serial number range KG30607951 through KG31600670.

============================
Report Receipt Date: MAR 18, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V128000
Component(s):
Potential Number of Units Affected: 417

[h=4] All Products Associated with this Recall [/h] [h=4]Details [/h] [h=4]4 Associated Documents [/h] Manufacturer: Heartland Recreational Vehicles, LLC
[h=5]SUMMARY:[/h] Heartland Recreational Vehicles, LLC (Heartland) is recalling certain model year 2013 Bighorn Silverado, 2014 Bighorn and 2013-2014 Cyclone, and Landmark fifth wheel trailers equipped with certain Frigidaire KG-series microwaves, models CFMV152CLB and CFMV154CLS, manufactured January 27, 2013, through April 10, 2013 in the serial number range KG30607951 through KG31600670. In the affected vehicles, the microwave may start on its own and begin heating when unattended. [h=5]CONSEQUENCE:[/h] If the microwave starts on its own and there are contents inside, a fire could result. [h=5]REMEDY:[/h] Heartland will notify owners and dealers will repair the membrane/keypad component, free of charge. The recall began in May 2014. Owners may contact Heartland at 1-877-262-8032. Heartland's number for this recall is 99-01-17. Note: Until the microwave has been repaired, owners should not store anything in the microwave while it is unattended.

Link to NHTSA info on this recall.

Lynn1130

I think that if there was a problem in mine, and I was trying to sell it a $150 service call to see if it will be replaced under warranty (and probably have the service call waived) would be a pretty simple call. The choice is that the units sits, unsellable, for who knows how long until it is resolved in some form.

Super obnoxious they're giving you the run around on replacing your microwave. Like you said though, really happy that the fire didn't spread.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately the OP has not returned to tell of the final outcome.

Peace
Dave