Bighorn 2985 and 2014 Gm 3500 SRW bed clearance

Looking at a 2015 Chevy 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4. The dealer I am working with said the truck is really high and bed clearance may be an issue? A 2011 they had only had about inches and that was a bit unlevel. The 2015's are nearly two inches taller when you combine the rise in bed height and bed depth....that means 3" maybe clearance with an un-level trailer.

Anyone with any experience with this?

jimtoo

Re: Bighon 2985 and 2014 Gm 3500 SRW bed clearance

Hi 2wiresdave,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I think there have been a few that did add blocks to the trailer suspension to get it up a little higher. I'll let some of the others report on what they have done.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

I went from a 2007 2500HD Chevy to a 2013 GMC 3500HD. The '13 bedrails were about 1 1/2" higher. I did not have to change anything about the hitch or pinbox. Truck and Horn set level when hooked up. Unless GM changed the bedrail height in '15, you should be good to go. Go back to your dealer with a tape measure and measure a '14 and a '15 to see if they are the same. Make sure you measure on the inside of the bed to the top of the bedrails.

BTW, go buy a 1' high plastic folding step stool and keep it in the truck. Your going to need it. My '13 is a DRW and I cant even get close the hitch even on my tippy toes and I'm 6'1". Maybe its due to getting a little chubby lately.

swburbguy

Bob are you running airbags? I have a 3500hd srw looking at a big horn or landmark.

dewwood

I have a 2985 Bighorn with a 2013 one ton Silverado SRW and it was a bit close with the original Lippert hitch on the Bighorn. I put my Trail Air Tri-Glide hitch on and it works better. It gives me more top of bed to bottom of trailer clearance and more between the back of truck and front of trailer clearance. I can now open the front cargo door without hitting the tailgate. It worked with the original hitch but was a little closer than I liked.

Kbvols

I went from a 2001 2500 to a 2014 3500. The bed is approx 3.5 inches higher. Adjusted my reese hitch up one hole have as much clearance as with the older truck. I wouldn't think a 2015 bed rail is any higher than a 2014 as it is plenty high. The plastic stool prior mentioned is a great idea! Thanks!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

swburbguy, yes. I installed the Ride Rite bags with the auto leveling kit. No muss-no- fuss. It always keeps things level without me having add or subtract air manually. If you look at Ride Rite kits...see if they are having their $50 off on each kit. I got $100 rebate back and a free "T" shirt. I like the way they work.

I went from a 2001 2500 to a 2014 3500. The bed is approx 3.5 inches higher. Adjusted my reese hitch up one hole have as much clearance as with the older truck. I wouldn't think a 2015 bed rail is any higher than a 2014 as it is plenty high. The plastic stool prior mentioned is a great idea! Thanks!

This is where things get scary. The bed height is 1.43" inches taller and the bed depth is .34" taller.

The 2015 CC SB 3500 SRW is 1.77" taller. On an already tall truck.

If I had known this I am unsure if I would have ordered the truck...

Would assume people are going to have issues with these trucks height-wise. Unless the extra height is for ride softness when totally unloaded or something and all that height gets compressed with a little weight?

Westwind

I'm in the same boat your in, I bought the same truck this morning. I can adjust my hitch up by 1 inch increments so hopefully that will keep me out of trouble on bed clearance, but then you have the problem of the FW being nose high.
From what I've learned so far "Correct Track" system will lift the FW by two inches or so - it bears looking into, I think it beats blocks and bigger U bolts.

http://www.amazon.com/Correct-Track-The-Mobile-Outfitters/dp/B007HRX5DI

caissiel

I can't understand the reason for deep boxes that no one put anything in.
My SD box is fine and if I want to put more in the box I use my additional side rack that are cab height.

Westwind

When they redesigned the 2008 GM trucks they made the boxes deeper so I dealt with that problem when I bought my 2012 Bighorn, now this truck has a new frame (changed in 2011) and it is higher by at least two inches. So it will be interesting on how I make out adjusting to compensate for the changes.

Cjackg

I have been fighting this issue with my 2015 Chevy 2500.
With the hitch adjusted to get the Cyclone level, my bedrail clearance gets down to 4.5"... too close!
When I raise the Curt hitch to highest setting I have 6.5 clearance but then the Cyclone is nose high several inches.
Looks like the only way to get everything level is to raise the trailer but that will increase overall height...
Not good!

Love the truck but disappointed to deal with this issue.

Cjackg

Don't think so... The overall diameter for the 20s is only slightly more due to the shorter sidewalls.
Unfortunately the heart of the issue is the GM bed siderail height and about the only way to deal with it seems to be raising the trailer height, or learn to live with a nose high Cyclone!

I am considering the MorRyde Independent Suspension upgrade for later that will level the trailer plus significantly improve the suspension.

Last edited: