Plastic one-way water valves behind commodes

DonnyB007

The plastic valve behind our commode broke off yesterday. I had to disassemble the broken valve from the "PEX" pipes and install a new brass one-way valve.

I found out I needed a "tough built" bolt cutter to break off the existing PEX clamps and a special PEX clamp pliers to squeeze on the new PEX clamps. Oh and a special PEX pipe cutter tool to make the cuts in the pipe. So I bought all the tools, valve and clamps and got to the task!

Getting the old PEX clamp off, I cut my fingers in two spots and ended up with blood all over the darn place! Bandaged that up twice and carried on! What a difficult job getting that old valve out, even with the right tools.

The new valve was slipped into place with the arrow going in the flow of water. The new PEX clamps were squeezed in place with the PEX pliers. Then came the ultimate test - turning on the water! Guess what folks, no leaks at all on my first try. Man what a great. Feeling that was.

Maybe Heartland should go to all brass one-way valves behind the toilets.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    668.1 KB · Views: 113

donr827

Nice job. Anytime I do plumbing it always leaks on the first test. When I had to have a T replaced on the water heater the mechanic made sure that he has excess tubing and cut the T out behind the clamp and used shark bite fittings to hook up the new T.................Don

DonnyB007

Nice job. Anytime I do plumbing it always leaks on the first test. When I had to have a T replaced on the water heater the mechanic made sure that he has excess tubing and cut the T out behind the clamp and used shark bite fittings to hook up the new T.................Don

Thank you for the information. I will pick up some spare "shark bite" adapters at the hardware store today, just in case something like this happens again. You never think you'll use the stuff, then the day comes and one just might have the right spare part.

Happy trails it's my friend :)

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Interesting enough, I do not recall seeing any valve of any kind on my toilet ... I may have to look again...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Something "new?" I don't have a valve, but am thinking of adding one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The plastic valve behind our commode broke off yesterday. I had to disassemble the broken valve from the "PEX" pipes and install a new brass one-way valve.

I found out I needed a "tough built" bolt cutter to break off the existing PEX clamps and a special PEX clamp pliers to squeeze on the new PEX clamps. Oh and a special PEX pipe cutter tool to make the cuts in the pipe. So I bought all the tools, valve and clamps and got to the task!

Getting the old PEX clamp off, I cut my fingers in two spots and ended up with blood all over the darn place! Bandaged that up twice and carried on! What a difficult job getting that old valve out, even with the right tools.

The new valve was slipped into place with the arrow going in the flow of water. The new PEX clamps were squeezed in place with the PEX pliers. Then came the ultimate test - turning on the water! Guess what folks, no leaks at all on my first try. Man what a great. Feeling that was.

Maybe Heartland should go to all brass one-way valves behind the toilets.

Looks like a smart thing to have. Did you rig come with the valve, NEW, from the factory?