hitch code

torque1911

Ordering new truck & cannot figure out what hitch I will get !
2015 F350 CC SRW 4X4 156" ULT LARIAT DIESEL 11500 GVRW !
The dealer gave me a book to look over for ordering but there is no specific code for what hitch I will be getting, me & the salesman both cannot seem to figure it out !
On some trucks there is a 18.5 V5 hitch & that is what I want, I have seen it on 2015 F250 LARIAT DIESEL 10000 GVRW with no where near the options I am getting and I cannot figure out what you have to order to get the 18.5K hitch, this has nothing to do with a 5th wheel prep, 11500 GVRW, FX4 ! The only thing in common with the f250 & the truck I am ordering is there both diesels and lariats ! Is there a Ford Guru on here that might have the answer it's driving me crazy !

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Are you talking about a reciever hitch or fifth wheel hitch?

If fifth wheel hitch the only thing the truck will come with is the prep for the hitch which includes the puck holes and wiring harness in the bed as well as place for the gooseneck ball. You have to order the hitch as an option and I think ford only handles the Reese but you can get a b&w or others aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torque1911

Pplease read post carefully before replying !

Are you talking about a reciever hitch or fifth wheel hitch?

If fifth wheel hitch the only thing the truck will come with is the prep for the hitch which includes the puck holes and wiring harness in the bed as well as place for the gooseneck ball. You have to order the hitch as an option and I think ford only handles the Reese but you can get a b&w or others aftermarket.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Excuse me? You're post is vague to say the least. Let's try to not be ride here and maybe you will get some help.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Ordering new truck & cannot figure out what hitch I will get !
2015 F350 CC SRW 4X4 156" ULT LARIAT DIESEL

this has nothing to do with a 5th wheel prep, 11500 GVRW, FX4 ! The only thing in common with the f250 & the truck I am ordering is there both diesels and lariats ! Is there a Ford Guru on here that might have the answer it's driving me crazy !

Maybe this will help as to what he needs an answer to.

Tombstonejim

Well that just causes me to say Huh, because at least 85% of the parts on a 250 and 350 or the same. I am sure he asking about a 5th wheel hitch but is about as clear as mud. And I really find it hard to believe that a dealer can't get an order code unless his sales manager is worthless.

porthole

Retired
You get the hitch Ford puts on, there is no order code for the receiver. The 250's are only rated for 12,500 to 14,000. The 350's are rated for 19,000, so they get the bigger hitch.

From the 2015 brochure:

Trailer hitch receiver – 12.5K (2") Built Ford Tough® (SRW with gas engine; SRW with diesel engine and 137" and 142" WB)

Trailer hitch receiver – 14K (2.5") Built Ford Tough (SRW with diesel engine and 156,"158"and172"WB)

Trailer hitch receiver – 15K (2.5") Built Ford Tough (DRW with 156" and 158" WB; DRW with gas engine and 172" WB)

Trailer hitch receiver – 18.5K (2.5") Built Ford Tough (F-350 DRW with diesel engine and 172" WB; F-450)

Trailer hitch receiver – 2" sleeve reducer (vehicles with 2.5" receiver)

chaplady

I have a 2014 F350 Lariat 4x4 as state below my receiver came with reducer sleeve u pull pin and slide out if you use bigger hitch.

torque1911

Agree with your statement
but there is a 2015 F250 CC LB 172 LARIAT DIESEL 4x4 no other options on truck on my dealers lot that has the 18.5k hitch !
I told my salesman my new truck better have the 18.5k or it will be on your lot, should of seen the look on his face !

You get the hitch Ford puts on, there is no order code for the receiver. The 250's are only rated for 12,500 to 14,000. The 350's are rated for 19,000, so they get the bigger hitch.

From the 2015 brochure:

Trailer hitch receiver – 12.5K (2") Built Ford Tough® (SRW with gas engine; SRW with diesel engine and 137" and 142" WB)

Trailer hitch receiver – 14K (2.5") Built Ford Tough (SRW with diesel engine and 156,"158"and172"WB)

Trailer hitch receiver – 15K (2.5") Built Ford Tough (DRW with 156" and 158" WB; DRW with gas engine and 172" WB)

Trailer hitch receiver – 18.5K (2.5") Built Ford Tough (F-350 DRW with diesel engine and 172" WB; F-450)

Trailer hitch receiver – 2" sleeve reducer (vehicles with 2.5" receiver)

porthole

Retired
Agree with your statement
but there is a 2015 F250 CC LB 172 LARIAT DIESEL 4x4 no other options on truck on my dealers lot that has the 18.5k hitch !
I told my salesman my new truck better have the 18.5k or it will be on your lot, should of seen the look on his face !

You did ask for what ordering code is needed, and the answer to that is still no order code for the receiver hitch that is supplied.

Did you by any chance notice if there was a "brand" label on the hitch?

Ford sources their hitches from suppliers and they are relabeled, could be a Reese, Curt or some other brand. Whatever they are using since the 2011 model year I don't remember, but it is not a Reese, and the receiver tube is not square, it is more of a rolled square and the standard 2-2.5" adapters do not always work without grinding. Almost every 2011 SD owner found out the hard way, Ford did not supply the adapter at that time, and adapters that fit were not easy to find. Very expensive adapters were availbe at Ford though.

But back to your 18.5K hitch.
The hitch "should" have been labeled to match that truck. Could be as simple as the wrong labeled hitch came down the line. I do not know if there is any physical difference in the Class 5 hitch between a F-250 and F-450, they look the same. The rating is based on the application.

Was that truck equipped with this 18.5K hitch a 2.5" receiver"? If it was not 2.5" it is not a Class 5 and not 18.5K rated. 2" receiver hitches are rated up to Class 4 and up to 12.5K.

Even rated at 18K, that is only with a 2.5" weight distributing hitch. Anything less then 2.5" drops the max capacity dramatically.

So, your truck should come with a 14K rated hitch. If you leave it on the lot because it is not rated 18.5K - you lose out on a nice truck and the dealer will sell it anyway.

torque1911

Porthole, I will look @ the one on the f250 on Monday but I know for sure it had the sleeve & 18.5k, I called Ford marketing yesterday and got nowhere ! Girlfriend said call the Kentucky plant ? $67,000 truck and I don't know what hitch I will get is ridiculous ! I will talk to the GM @ the stealership on Monday !

danemayer

Here's a link to Ford towing specs for 2015. The 1st set of tables show max towing capacity for each configuration. Looks to me like the limiting factor is your choice of SRW and the rear axle ratios available. I think you're looking at 14,000. The same receiver hitch may have a higher capacity when installed on a truck with higher capacity. So the label on the hitch may not tell the whole story.

Ford tow capacity conventional.jpg

porthole

Retired
So which chart do you go by?
The towing guide you listed or the table from the brochure I listed :rolleyes:
They sure don't make it easy, but maybe this is to help confuse comparing apples to oranges.

Either it appears the rating is based on the combination of SRW or DRW, gas or diesel and wheelbase. The brochure does not bring axle ratios into the chart.

pegmikef

my f250 required a sleeve to make it a 2 inch hitch and the accessory place (also owned by and affiliated with my dealer) gave me a sleeve that I had to grind the edge a little to get it started and then used a rubber mallot and block of wood to hammer it into place (it never moved). My F350 came with the same hitch, but the sleeve fit in much easier. The lcapacity label says 18,500 without an adapter and 12,500 with an adapter.

whp4262

My Chevy has the 2 1/2" receiver rated at 18000. I picked up a sleeve at Walmart so I could use my 2" hitch. Then I bought a 2 1/2" hitch from tractor supply rated at 16000 for $36.00 so I don't have to use the sleeve.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My GMC had the adapter in the glove box. BTW, it took me until page 2 to figure out what the OP wanted to know. It was for a bumper pull....DUH.