20" Wheel for Towing

'Lil Guy'

Just curious. If I opt for the Ram 2500 instead of the 3500, would the 20" wheel with the shorter sidewall be better for towing? Standard with 18" wheels. Thanks in advance.

ILH

I opted for the 20" wheels on my GMC when I bought it. Probably not the best decision as the cost will be substantially higher when it comes time for new rubber.

dbbls59

I think you want the taller sidewall of the 18". It provides more room for compression when driving over rough roads.

'Lil Guy'

I think you want the taller sidewall of the 18". It provides more room for compression when driving over rough roads.
That's what I'm talking about. Thinking the shorter sidewall would give the TV a more stable ride when towing. I might be looking at this all wrong though. Wouldn't be the 1st time. Thanks for the input.

JanAndBill

Part of me wants to say this isn't a good option, but another part wonders if it might. Heat is the enemy, and flexing is the cause. So the more rubber, you have to flex the more heat, but you also have a greater area to disperse the heat with the taller sidewall. When I first started out in trucking years ago, the 11R24.5 and 11R22.5 was the tire of choice. When we started shifting to the LP model people said it wouldn't hold up, but it did. I would think the shorter sidewall would give a stiffer ride, with less roll from side to side.

scottyb

The 20" tires offer a higher load rating. The Michellin LTX A/T2 275/65 R20 is rated for 3750 lbs. This was the OEM tires on DW's F250.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you take a tape measure with you.....you will probably find the the tire height between a 20" and 18" are the same. Wheels bigger...tires shorter.

stevenssr

I opted for the 20" wheels on my GMC when I bought it. Probably not the best decision as the cost will be substantially higher when it comes time for new rubber.

Yeah, my GMC had the LT265/60R20's on it new. I just replaced them with Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventurers and it was $330 per tire. The worst part is that I didn't have many choices in this tire size. Every other tire had horrible ratings.

I haven't had smaller rims on it, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I've never noticed anything unusual about the pulling characteristics of this size of tire.

Jim.Allison

Baker

Tell you what I'm doing; I am in the process of buying a set of 4 20 inch rims and putting them on my 2013 RAM 2500. The diameter of the tire is slightly larger than the OEM but I think my speedometer system can be adjusted, My 2500 pulls good right now, but pinweight has always been my concern. With the 20 inch not so much......

Just curious. If I opt for the Ram 2500 instead of the 3500, would the 20" wheel with the shorter sidewall be better for towing? Standard with 18" wheels. Thanks in advance.

'Lil Guy'

I'm very aware it doesn't change the sticker on the door. However, in case I opt for the 2500 over the 3500 TV, my real concern would be rear tire failure and stability. I was assuming the shorter sidewall would let it handle a little better. If they have a higher weight load, the better. Since tire height is controlled by tire size, I would be getting the correct tire size recommended for the truck to maintain ride height. This wasn't posted to compare TV's. I know you can,t replace the DRW with a SRW and get the same stability. Just wondering about the best option if I go with the SRW. Thanks.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
When I ordered my 08 F350 the rating chart showed lower towing capacity with the 20" tires. I went with the 18" to have the higher capacity. Don't know about the Dodge.

Jim.Allison

I would think that the load rating of the tire has something to do with it, But I don't think there are any LT 18 that exceed the load rating of a 20. The RAM uses the Firestone Transforce AT or HT. LT285/60R 20 at 3860 lbs at 80 psi.

When I ordered my 08 F350 the rating chart showed lower towing capacity with the 20" tires. I went with the 18" to have the higher capacity. Don't know about the Dodge.

'Lil Guy'

All good info here. Thanks . Still seems the shorter sidewall (60 compared to 70 or 75)would help in stability also. If so, then higher load rating and more stability going with the 20 rims seems right to me. Thanks for the input.

lwmcguir

Interesting, when I ordered mine there was no difference in the towing rating. I went with the 20 inch wheels as I needed the extra load capacity for the Augusta.

We run 19.5 on all the ranch trucks, due to the better tires that have much higher load ratings. Better stability as well.

lwmcguir

All good info here. Thanks . Still seems the shorter sidewall (60 compared to 70 or 75)would help in stability also. If so, then higher load rating and more stability going with the 20 rims seems right to me. Thanks for the input.

You are absolutely right. Same reason the large trucks went to higher / larger diameter wheels. The higher load rating is a plus. The only down side is the higher priced tire but not really that much higher than the 18's. Look better on the trucks also.

Jim.Allison

TireRack had a set of Firestone Transforce AT in 20 inch for $1000 and change.
You are absolutely right. Same reason the large trucks went to higher / larger diameter wheels. The higher load rating is a plus. The only down side is the higher priced tire but not really that much higher than the 18's. Look better on the trucks also.