Loud hum coming from pre installed Surge Guard Model 41260

J.S.B.

Starting in June we began to notice a loud hum coming from under the shower walk through area. Moved enough stuff in the storage area to get close enough to confirm it was coming from behind the rear wall. Called Heartland customer service to ask about what it might be and was asked if I had actually taken a look to which I replied no but I'm sure I can get behind the wall to find out. I called back once I had the wall out and knew what it was and even the tech I was talking with heard it over the phone. Said he needed to confer with another person and would call me back. When he called back he told me that the noise was normal. My reply was something like, not to me it isn't. As long as it's working then there's nothing we can do about it was the reply.

Question then is anyone else noticing this humming? Sounds like a high power transformer. Make no real difference that we can notice if there are a few things running or many. As soon as we pug it in the noise comes on. 50 amp or 30 amp.

My worry is being out in the middle of some absolutely wonderful and isolated area when it finally fails. Failure from what I can find in research means TOTAL FAILURE of all electronics. Worst of all would be no way to easily bypass anything to get the residential fridge to work.

One of the issues we need to get past.

J.S.B.

Thanks for the reply Branson.

This sound is coming from inside the SurgeGuard. I popped the cover up and it grew louder, needless to say. That confirmed the source of the noise. Will have ti wait until I get close to another one of these beautiful beast to compare.

MTPockets

Hum is normal but varies on install, voltage, current draw, etc. following from internet article regarding transformers, but applies: The maximum sound level of the transformer to be used should be compared with the estimated ambient of its location. If it is higher than its estimated ambient, the unit should be relocated.When installing transformers in “people areas”, such as office buildings or motels, plan to have at least one “non-people” room between the transformer and the “people area”.
The mounting surface for a transformer should not amplify the sound level. A general rule of thumb is the mounting base (such as a concrete floor) should weigh at least 10 times as much as the transformer.
A corner location should be avoided since the sound will be reflected out into the room.
Don’t mount unit on thin walls, such as plywood or curtain walls. They amplify the noise.
The manufacturer’s installation instructions should be followed so that any vibration suppression devices incorporated in the transformer design are utilized.

branson4020

Icantre Member
My confusion. I didn't realize your "SurgeGuard" was actually a transfer switch and surge protector in one box. Mine are separate.

J.S.B.

From the sound of that mounting the thing to plywood surrounded by more hard plywood walls might not be the most favorable method or space for quiet operation. This unit is loud enough that without a fan between it and us it really is an annoyance to easy sleep. If it would only compare t the fans white noise. There are no rubber mounts even to absorb any of the transferring vibrations. Same for the growling water pump.

Rather disheartening that for the price you might anticipate a degree of attention to these types of details. Expected in the flagstaff we owned once but not in something like this Landmark.

J.S.B.

Great idea.

Can I ask another seemingly silly unrelated question?

I would like to add the map and signature but for the life of me can not find the "Additional Options area" or "Manage Attachments button" that Jim mentions in his instructions for adding pictures and such. Am I missing the obvious again? :)

Kbvols

I get a hum from mine but usually notice it when it is parked at our woods. The voltage seems to be just a little higher there than at a campground which I attribute to hum too. Hope I am right.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I would like to add the map and signature but for the life of me can not find the "Additional Options area" or "Manage Attachments button" that Jim mentions in his instructions for adding pictures and such. Am I missing the obvious again? :)
At the upper right when you are logged in click on SETTINGS then scroll down to lower left to get to EDIT SIGNATURE.

danemayer

Hi J.S.B.,

Here's a link to some of the manuals for the transfer switch/surge protector. They've got phone numbers for customer support as well.

As you've discovered, "there's a loud hum" is a subjective statement, so differences of opinion are likely. I agree with you that excessive noise, especially on a transfer switch, could be a sign of upcoming failure that might leave you without power. In all your discussions with TRC, or Heartland, or your dealer, I would refer to it as a transfer switch rather than as a surge protector. I'd guess it's much easier for people to envision the noise as a contactor beginning to fail, than as a surge protector circuit board getting ready to fail.

I'd advise calling TRC first and then getting back to Heartland.

In the meantime, while traveling, you might want to have a battery charger handy, or be near a Walmart. If your transfer switch fails, you'll need a way to keep your coach battery charged or you'll quickly lose all lights, refrigerator, water heater, furnace, slides, and landing gear. With a battery charger plugged into the pedestal, you can keep the battery charged to run all these items, at least until you run out of propane.

Jim.Allison

I don't get an audible hum from anything. If its loud enough to bug you then there is probably an upcoming problem.

I have an extra transfer switch in a box behind the basement wall. They are cheap enough on the internet to have one rather than go looking for one. It will eventually fail.

I have not heard of a surgeguard transfer switch combo. I like the individual component concept, that way I have more flexibility in the event of a failure of either component. I have heard though that one should never try to beat an EMS because if its not outputting electricity then you don't want the input coming into your trailer. When I heard that it sounded like sound advice and worth repeating.......

Good luck hope you find out what it is and it dont cost you "nothing"......