Tv4rv Tripod

porthole

Retired
Re: Tr4rv or Tv4Rv ??

Steve, do you mean you can't find the website?

http://tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=1

The tripod they sell is a copy of a transit tripod. So if you have access to a transit tripod you will actually have a slightly better built piece. HD and Lowes, evilbay, craigslist, etc

TV4RV also sells a kit that you add to your own tripod, that works very well. That is what I am using.

BTW, using that tripod makes a world of difference setting up dish.

Last edited:

lynndiwagoner

It is indeed a regular tripod, but it is modified to accept a special mounting pole that fits into a recessed hole. The dish then mounts onto the pole for a complete setup. I can't imagine trying to set up a slimline dish without their rig.

mobilcastle

Duane,
That is an excellent idea-I will keep that in the back of my mind. I made this mount and it works well however I am sure their will come a time when I need a tripod to move the dish around to get the signal. TR4RV is a good setup. I am not in a hurry but I am on the lookout for one.
Thanks
Steve
20140825_153646.jpg20140825_153645.jpg
Steve, do you mean you can't find the website?

http://tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=1

The tripod they sell is a copy of a transit tripod. So if you have access to a transit tripod you will actually have a slightly better built piece. HD and Lowes, evilbay, craigslist, etc

TV4RV also sells a kit that you add to your own tripod, that works very well. That is what I am using.

BTW, using that tripod makes a world of difference setting up dish.

porthole

Retired
I see you are using a round dish. Setup is not nearly as critical as it is with the SWM & HD.

The tripod setup allows near perfect leveling, which then greatly adds to the "swing" capability.

wdk450

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3740649

This is the tripod I got at Radio Shack. There are 3 adjusting bolts on the top pole clamp that allows for fine tilt adjustments - otherwise I just use wood door wedges from Home Depot ($1 or so a pack) under the feet. I secure the tripod with a bungee cord to a 5 gallon bucket of water under the lower braces - I use tent nails into the ground through the holes in the feet, if it is really windy.

BTW - I found a nifty little plastic toolbox at one of the dollar stores that I keep my wedges, nails, level, compass and Sat. meter in. I use that in conjunction with one of the little folding outside chairside tables during setup. The toolbox even has parts storage compartments on top for coax cable connectors.

I also use a dish modified with a threaded rod/nut on the elevation adjustment. I just set the elevation this way for best signal and don't bother to clamp the elevation nuts down, as the front weight of the dish and feed arm keep it down.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Before we got our Tailgater, I used a Slimline dish mounted to a Dewalt tripod I found on clearance at Home Depot for $17. Had to make just a couple of mods to the dish mount to get them to "mate up" together. Took me about 10 minutes to set up and get a usable signal from the DirecTV satellite (SD, not HD). Would have kept using it, but we switched to FIOS at home so I didn't have the DirecTV subscription anymore. Now we just use satellite (Dish Pay as you Go) when we don't have cable access.