Refill disposable propane bottles?

brianharrison

Can you do this reliably? I see these adapters on EBay and was just wondering..

Would not see how - liquid propane is used to refill - there is no way to get liquid propane with this setup.

Those adapters have been used to allow the small cylinders on devices with the 20#(and larger) tank fittings.

Buyer beware.....

Brian

ILH

They do work - you have to invert the larger (20lb) tank so that the liquid propane flows into the smaller container.

ILH

I haven't personally done it, but my son's scout group used to do it all the time to save money. BTW, they sell the adapter at Bass Pro.

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
I also freeze the disposable cylinders to reduce internal pressure. It allow you to get more propane transferred. As for re-sealing, I have had good luck with refilling them 3-4 times before they leak. I always use some soapy water on the valve to make sure it does not bubble verifying the seal. If I find one that does not seal, I put it on my propane torch which has a valve that will reliably close off and it makes for a great fire starter! You can also attach it to your grill and burn it off if necessary. ALWAYS inspect it for leaks!!! NEVER assume.

olcoon

There are You Tube videos on how to do it. I haven't watched them, and haven't refilled any cylinders.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just seems easier and safer to use a 10 lb. tank for my portable grill. It lasts most of the summer. I have a couple of disposable 1lb. bottles just for backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evolvingpowercat

Yes it can be done, it works best if the cylinder being refilled is refilled right after being taken out of a freezer. Personally I can get one refilled about half way. Beware, it is against the law to refill disposable cylinders and illegal to transport them, so do it with your eyes open aware of the potential risks and issues if something happens you might have insurance claim issues or legal liability issues if it was discovered some how.

Personally I have thought about it and compared to the money I spend on fuel towing my TT the small amount of money I was saving refilling disposable cylinders is puny and not worth it and I have gone back to buying new ones.

ILH

I tend to agree with you. Although I have one of the adapters to fill the cylinders, I've had it for about 4+ years and never used it. I have it for one of those 'just in case moments'. It was also probably a weak moment at Bass Pro when I thought I 'needed' it. :rolleyes:

I think I carry 2 cylinders for my Coleman tiki torches. I never seem to use up the fuel. For my bbq I use a pancake style 10lb tank.

donr827

I have never refilled the small bottles. Supposedly they are made for a single use only. Might be more of a marketing statement then a safety statement but who knows. It does not cost that much more unless you are using a lot of the small ones. One gallon of diesel fuel saved driving will pay the difference. JMODon

Jim.Allison

A gas container is unreliable when it comes to storage. Go to any welding supply store and they will have a poster of a car that tried to haul an acetylene bottle which leaked then subsequently exploded. Propane bottles of any kind are subject to this; new, refilled or otherwise.

I would guess that 12 refilled bottles of propane are statistically safer than 12 new ones in a box from bass pro. I cannot tell you how many times I have found an empty bottle in a package of 12. If you refill your own you probably will eliminate the leakers anyway.

As far as legality is concerned I don't know who is going to arrest you for such a digression. For example it is an extreme federal offense to modify or alter a pollution control device on a diesel motor vehicle. Yet people remove the system and buy computers that fool the onboard computer and blatantly roll coal (they call it), in front of God and everybody. So any legal concern is; in my mind out the window, as I do not think that you will be arraigned in front of the federal magistrate for the offense of refilling a camping bottle, if it is indeed an offense. There are unenforced and unenforceable laws everywhere. And if there is a law, it is probably a law that prohibits the sale or exchange of refilled bottles driven by the industry that does not want to compete against a refiling company who is refilling the bottles that were put onto the market by the original manufacturer. This would definitely mess up their gig.

As far as insurance is concerned, I doubt that they would make an issue over a couple of refilled propane bottles. If anything they would pay for your damages and recover their money from the company that made the adaptor and told you you could do it. You would be foolish to offer the fact that you refilled the bottle that caused the damage in question, unless asked directly. At that point you could say yes and I did it with this little adaptor I bought at Bass Pro Shop.

This having been said, I don't think safety, or legality is a concern, but practicality is. I would do it in a pinch or routinely if it suited me. It is much easier to tap onto your rigs supply line and never worry about it again. Or just do as one poster said, get the smallest refillable cylinder and carry that with you.

SeattleLion

I won't refill those bottles. For one thing, the best you can do is get half a pound in one. For another, there are no safety devices on the cylinder. The refillable bottles (10, 20, 30lb), have a float in them to prevent overfilling. Too much propane in a bottle can cause leak or explosion of the bottle gets hot.

As far as modifying emission control systems, all I can say is, Sheesh! They are there to protect the environment and health of all of us. I, for one, care about the other guy.

rxbristol

I almost started to use the device to refill the bottles, but I kept thinking about how every company always wants to reduce costs (i.e., thinner metal, less corrosion resistance, etc.) and I decided it was not worth the risk...it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. I think the older bottles may have been better made, but when I get that "tingling" in the spine it prevents ME from going against the warnings. If I'm going to be using my grill for longer periods of time, I just use an adapter hose and connect it to a propane bottle from another grill or the rig.