Propane source to grill hoses, regulators etc

porthole

Retired
Our grill uses a 3/8" male J.I.C. fitting. I have a short hose with a regulator permanently attached.
On the trailer i have one of those propane taps that goes between the tank and the hose.
It uses the standard 1" (disposal propane bottle type) fitting.

This week I picked up a hose to use with my piped propane connection, which is after the trailer's regulator, bypassing the grills regulator.

My question is has anyone trued this and compared the flow between the two?

Using the piped connection and bypassing the grill regulator I get about half the flame length that I get using the original setup.

brianharrison

No I have not trued it - but I size pipe for a living. I have used this chart in the past (or one like it) for low pressure LP sizing - it does not take much of an increase in length of pipe (or decrease in diameter) at 11WC to reduce outlet pressure substantially. Are the length and diameter of the hoses similar in both scenarios?

Brian

porthole

Retired
Guessing at the moment.

The pipe is 1/2"
The tee to the quick disconnect is no more then 3' from the Trailer's regulator
The new hose with the quick disconnect is 10' and appears to be fairly free flowing. 1/4" flame approximate

The hose off the bottle tap is twice as long and a low flow. This hose is the type that could be used off a disposal bottle. 1/2" flame approximate

pegmikef

I don't know. I bought a grill (Olympian 5500) specifically to use with the low pressure outlet (to which I had to add a female quick connect fitting). The grill came with its own hose and itworked fine and the pressure was good with a high flame. Then I changed to the BH that had no low pressure outlet so I bought a hose with a regulator and a gallon propane bottle and it and the grill works the same (and it works the same from 30 pound bottles too I learned in the middle of cooking burgers). Maybe your hose or setup is different than mine was. The low pressure outlet on my North Trail was at least twelve feet from the regulator.