GCVW question

doctrbob

Trying to understand all the ins and outs of weights and towing.

To stay legal do you add the stickered GVWR of the TV and GVR of the trailer and stay under the GCWR of the TV? For example, if you had a SRW F350 which has a GVWR of 11,500 and towing capacity of 15,900 and GCWR of 23.500, and a fifth wheel that had a dry weight of 12000, but a GVWR of 15,500, the combined sticker ratings would be too much at 11,500 plus 15,500 which is 27,000. But if your actual weights of the TV loaded was 9000 and the fifth wheel loaded was 14000, you would be ok at 23,000. Would that fly and keep you legal due to the actual weights? Would it make sense to have a weight certification from a CAT scale to prove your within limits?

Thanks in advance for any replies. This forum is great!!

Bob

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Yes..it's your actual combined weight of truck and trailer that needs to stay under the GCWR of the truck. We always carry a Cat scale ticket to show we're with specs but have never needed it.

Probably more important is the Cat scale ticket will show you to be under all the axle weight ratings that will be listed on the sticker on the door jamb of your truck.

danemayer

"Legal" may depend on how the regs/laws are written and which one you're asking about.

In California, for example, the requirement for a non-commercial Class A drivers license is based on >15,000 lb GVWR 5th wheel, not the <15,000 lb actual weight. Here's one reference. Of course, as discussed many times, California doesn't seem to be enforcing the license requirement.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I think more importantly it is all about being safe more than it is about being legal.

Pulling a load that a truck can't handle is the real issue.

I just replaced my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (anyone need a good work truck? :cool: ) as it is getting old for pulling in the mountains, plus our new trailer was maxing it out.

Of course, our dealer assured us that it was plenty of truck for it, but once it had all of the accessories added and our stuff in it, the old beast was taxed!

And then fill the water tank (another 400 pounds), and it was too much!

I just got my new 2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 last Friday, which is probably overkill for our Trail Runner . . . but at least I know that the truck will handle the whole load with plenty of room to spare!

I will be hooking up the trailer tomorrow for a test run just to make sure everything works and hitches up correctly as we have the Colorado Heartland Owners Club Rally coming up in three weeks over on the other side of the Great (Continental) Divide.

Old and new:

NewCamperTruck-P9110306.jpg NewTruck2500HD-IMG_20140823_121212002.jpg

pegmikef

In Texas, I went to my local DMV to get a class A drivers license because according to the stickers I was at 26,000 pounds. They sent me back to get the registration and it turned out to be lower than the sticker so I was under the threshold for a class A license. They said I could get one anyway, but would have to get a different rig to take the test in as it would have to be over 26,000 pounds . . . so I guess they go by the registrations. The DMV folks said that it was not unusual for there to be a disparity between the two (sticker, registration)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bob, let me see if I can make it simple. The trailers GWR is 15500#...the TV is lets say 8500#. You now have a GVWR at 24000#. You are now over "legal" weight by 500#. You have remember that anything you add in weight to the TV, hitch, people, dogs, extra fuel tank, etc, etc takes away from what you can "legally" tow.

The only real way you will know what your TV weighs....is to go weigh it full of fuel and at least 2 people. Then add 150# for the hitch and add 100# for other stuff you might carry in the TV. Then you will be close...sorta.

Now, if you buy off the lot, open the door on the coach and see what the yellow sticker says the coach weighs empty as equiped. Each coach weighs different depending on options. They are weighed leaving the plant. As far as the GWR of the coach, it will still be the same.

In California, anything over 10K, you need an adendium to your class "C" license. Over 15001# you need a non-commercial CDL. I don't have either and don't worry about it. However, if you don't have the correct license endorsments and have an accident you could be in trouble. You will never have to go through the CHP truck scales and probably will never be stopped by the CHP unless you do something stupid and even then I'm not sure if they would say anything about your license. The only thing the CHP will look at is the GVW of the trailer and truck. They will not care what it really weighs. Heck, everytime I have gone to the DMV to get an endorsment....they have NO IDEA what I'm asking for. So go figure.

So go weigh your TV and see where your at.

Bohemian

GCWR: The maximum total weight allowed of everything in your towing setup.

The tow vehicle. The trailer. The double tow second trailer. All the contents of the tow vehicles, trailers, etc. Anything you mount on the tow vehicle and trailers. Bike racks and bikes. All hitches and options. Carpet mats Tools, Extra motor oil. Absolutely everything, nothing left out. Not even the DW, DH, cat, dog parrot or even you. Nor the mice who hitched a ride.

Bohemian

I looked up New York State drivers licensing requirements:

A Class C license will allow you to tow

1) any trailer as long as the truck has GCVW less than 26,001 lbs.

2) any trailer less than 10,001 lbs if the GVW of the truck is less than 26,001 lbs.

A Class A license will be required if the truck has a GCWR greater than 26,000 lbs. and the trailer has a GVWR greater than 10,000 lbs.

=====================================================================================

This means for the 2014 Ram 3500 trucks towing a trailer greater than 10,000 lbs. GVWR

that for the diesel DRW trucks with 3.42 axle and ether manual or 68RFE automatic, NO Class A license is required, Class C is good

change the transmission to the AISIN HD and a Class A license is required

or

change the axle to either 3.73 or 4.10 and a Class A is required.

danemayer

I looked up New York State drivers licensing requirements:

A Class C license will allow you to tow

1) any trailer as long as the truck has GCVW less than 26,001 lbs.

2) any trailer less than 10,001 lbs if the GVW of the truck is less than 26,001 lbs.

A Class A license will be required if the truck has a GCWR greater than 26,000 lbs. and the trailer has a GVWR greater than 10,000 lbs.

=====================================================================================

This means for the 2014 Ram 3500 trucks towing a trailer greater than 10,000 lbs. GVWR

that for the diesel DRW trucks with 3.42 axle and ether manual or 68RFE automatic, NO Class A license is required, Class C is good

change the transmission to the AISIN HD and a Class A license is required

or

change the axle to either 3.73 or 4.10 and a Class A is required.

Did you happen to look up the "R" endorsement to a New York Class D license?