Trailer . . . What trailer?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've been hauling my 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 22RK with our 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, which our dealer told us was more than enough truck to handle our trailer!

Well . . . real life experiences have taught us that the old Dodge (luv ya, my old friend) really wasn't enough to handle the load.

So last Friday, I purchased a brand new 2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 with the trailer package and the 4.10 rear end . . .

And I am sitting here in tears (and I proclaim to NOT be an emotional guy) . . . :rolleyes:

Well, I just hooked up my trailer to my new truck and yanked it out of the yard . . . have not yet even hooked up the WD setup yet . . . and wow!

Where did my trailer go?

I could have sworn that I hitched up a trailer to my truck . . .

NewTruck&Trailer-IMG_20140828_104506854 (1).jpg

I couldn't even tell that I had something hooked to my truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going out in a few minutes to hook up the WD stuff . . . then take it out for a highway drive . . .

Will report back later!

Garypowell

John,

Really happy for you! It is a beautiful truck.

When we started full timing in 1996 I initially pulled a 18,000 pound (unloaded) Travel Supreme with a 2500 dodge diesel. I would literally pray each time we got to an entrance ramp that God would open up a spot for us to merge.....and He came through every time! Even on long ramps I would only be up to 35 MPH by the time I hit the freeway.

Then, because I thought this rig was too heavy, we went to a Prowler at 9,000 pounds.....never knew it was back there. It was a mistake as it was too small.

Enjoy your truck and the ride.

Saildogs

Congratulations on the new truck! You will have to look in the rearview mirror to be sure you have the trailer with you. We had the same experience moving from the F 150 to the F 250 diesel.

Diane

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
They look awesome together! But check your trailer, I can't tell but looks a little nose high? You may have to make some adjustments to get it level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

They look awesome together! But check your trailer, I can't tell but looks a little nose high? You may have to make some adjustments to get it level.

Just got back from my test drive . . . all I can say is WOW!

What a difference!

While I was out I pulled into Home Depot and a guy pulled in behind me with another Trail Runner in tow.

So we chatted for a few minutes and I told him about this forum and the Heartland Owners Club . . . so maybe we'll se him here soon!

Yes, the nose is a little high . . .

I tried to back the trailer in when I got home and the jacks dragged a little, so I guess I'll have to get another drop-down as my current one is all the way to the bottom.

More later!

chiefaret

Interesting thread. We started out with a light trailer and pulled it with a Tundra. Did a great job, But when we found the Heartland floor plan we had to purchase it. The new trailer was much heavier, but still within the towing limits of the Tundra. It pulled great on flat lands, but struggled on the hills, and there are lots of them in AZ. After a couple of trips with the engine screaming to try not to hold up traffic, I found a Super duty 250 with a 6.7 diesel. Bite the bullet and have not looked back. It has so much power that I hardly notice the grade, and I do not hold up traffic. I loves my Ford, so much less stress in towing knowing I have enough power to go where I want. And he mileage is what I consider fantastic while towing.

JohnD

Goodbye, old friend . . .

Well . . . just sold the old Dodge about two hours ago . . .

Had a tear in my eye as it pulled away from my house one last time . . . except this time without me in it!

The new owner should get many years and miles of service out it!

Here it is just before it drove off into the Colorado sunset . . . the end of an era at our house!

DodgeLastTime-IMG_20140901_194212486.jpg DodgeLastTime-IMG_20140901_194233999.jpg

This 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 was my most favorite vehicle I've ever owned . . .

Cathy used to say that I loved that truck more than I did her! DOH! :eek:

I think my new Chevy will prove to be just as good of a ride (seen in the driveway behind the old Dodge in the second photo).

It sure pulls our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner like there is no tomorrow!

I'll be putting it to the test when we pull over the Continental Divide in two and a half weeks for the 2014 Colorado HOC Rally in Rifle, Colorado!

Lynn1130

Re: Goodbye, old friend . . .

Yup. Love my Duramax and people do not believe you until they get in and take a ride up some our our "hills" in AZ with the trailer in tow. (passing Fords on the way up :) )

Kosanko

Lynn hope you make the Az. rally down in Sierra Vista, because I would love to see your Chevy pass my Ford on SR-83

Lynn1130

Why would I want to drive 83 to Sierra Vista when I get there by taking I-10 to 90 into Sierra Vista? A waste of fuel. I am sure that the rallies are lots of fun but I am not a "crowds" type so won't be making it there. We do spend a good amount of time in SE AZ but more in the Sonoita area. Let's go north and do I-17 to Sunset Point or the Sedona exit to the lookout. LOL

Have you even noticed that both Ford and Dodge mention how they out perform each other (in vague terms) in their ads and only Chevy gassers when they tout their prowess but never seen to mention Chevy Diesels?

JohnD

Yup. Love my Duramax and people do not believe you until they get in and take a ride up some our our "hills" in AZ with the trailer in tow. (passing Fords on the way up :) )

I know about hills as I live about 20 minutes from the Colorado Rockies.

I'll be finding out how my 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gasser handles the hills in two weeks when we will be going over the Continental Divide at the Eisenhower Tunnel, not to mention Floyd Hill and Vail Pass on the way to and back from the 2014 Colorado Heartland Owners Club Rally in Rifle, Colorado!

All of those I have dubbed "Truck Killers!".

As for the crowds . . . the rallies are a blast!

You should just try at least one to see how fun they really are . . . plus you'll most likely make a bunch of new friends!

I think you'll be surprised at how much fun you can have at one of these!

Here are some shots I took at the Spring 2014 Colorado HOC Rally near Colorado Springs, Colorado last May:

HOCRally-IMG_2255.jpg HOCRally-IMG_2220.jpg HOCRally-IMG_2210.jpg HOCRally-IMG_2335.jpg HOCRally-IMG_2196.jpg HOCRally-IMG_2208.jpg ColoHOC2014RallyCampfire-IMG_2330.jpg

Our regular camping buddies that we have been camping with for 15 years moved to Florida a couple of years ago, so our whole camping scenario changed.

Before they left, we probably never would have gotten into an owners club thingy . . . but after getting involved with the HOC, we've met many new friends and now look forward to the HOC Campouts and Rallies as part of our summer getaway outings!

Kosanko

why would i want to drive 83 to sierra vista when i get there by taking i-10 to 90 into sierra vista? A waste of fuel. I am sure that the rallies are lots of fun but i am not a "crowds" type so won't be making it there. We do spend a good amount of time in se az but more in the sonoita area. Let's go north and do i-17 to sunset point or the sedona exit to the lookout. Lol

have you even noticed that both ford and dodge mention how they out perform each other (in vague terms) in their ads and only chevy gassers when they tout their prowess but never seen to mention chevy diesels?

you want to pull sr-83 because you have that big ford stomper in the hills and 83 is a scenic route with hills and not any further to drive.

Lynn1130

Thanks. I will try it someday. Scenic routes, however, are for passengers. I am usually too busy driving to enjoy much of it. I do find things that I have never seen before when riding and after 45 years in Arizona and driving some of the same routes over and over, I see things I never have seen before when I get a chance to be the passenger. And the driving thing has become more intense as this state has become a hotter California.

In looking at the map, I have traveled most of 83 to Sonoita. Backroaded some roads off of it. There is not much in the way of "hills" on that road and if you take 82 out of Sonoita to Sierra Vista is almost flat. SR 83 takes a winding route south and then east to Sierra Vista and certainly is not going to be shorter than I-10. I have backroaded a fair amount of that locale but have not done that part of 83 so the next trip down (this winter/spring) I will have to take a drive on it.

If you have not visited Kartchner Caverns don't miss it. There are two living Caverns one of which may be closed depending upon the time of year (bat whelping or hibernation). Get reservations, you will need them.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Surprised you let the old girl go John.
Sounds like it would have made a great second vehicle to run around in.

JohnD

Surprised you let the old girl go John.
Sounds like it would have made a great second vehicle to run around in.

I wanted to keep it, but it was just time to let someone else get some good use out of it instead of leaving it sitting around parked and rarely getting driven.

I will be using the moolah to get a bed topper for the new truck . . . going shopping for those tomorrow!

JohnD

Well . . . ordered the new topper for my new truck today.

From the same place I bought the topper for my previous truck!

Unfortunately, it won't arrive until the day after we get back from our next (and final) campout of the season.

Tomorrow (Friday) . . . taking the new truck to get the hitch assembly corrected.

Right now, with the old setup from the Dodge, the front of the trailer is too high (have to purchase a new adjustable ball mount, not to mention switching from a Class IV to a Class V setup).

Newtruckoldhitch-IMG_20140828_134053993.jpg Newtruck&trailer-IMG_20140829_090639644.jpg

Kosanko

If you are traveling anywhere than from east SR-83 is not a waste of fuel, just a more scenic and Ford capable pulling mountain pass, I-10 would be better suited for the "el chevy" 83 require the ability to pull over an 8000' pass, which separates the big three pulling 15K 5ers. Remember forfeits go to the winner, so unless you put up factual data that can be confirmed no more brand **** talking, until you back it up, and you have backed out of the challenge.

Why would I want to drive 83 to Sierra Vista when I get there by taking I-10 to 90 into Sierra Vista? A waste of fuel. I am sure that the rallies are lots of fun but I am not a "crowds" type so won't be making it there. We do spend a good amount of time in SE AZ but more in the Sonoita area. Let's go north and do I-17 to Sunset Point or the Sedona exit to the lookout. LOL

Have you even noticed that both Ford and Dodge mention how they out perform each other (in vague terms) in their ads and only Chevy gassers when they tout their prowess but never seen to mention Chevy Diesels?

Lynn1130

I'm not sure that elevation has as much to do with climbing as grade and the distance of the pull, especially with computer controlled engines today. I would put the climb up the 260 from Camp Verde to the junction at SR87 (7500 ft elevation) right up there with any of them and I left my wife's cousin and his big Ford Power Stroke once we started the climb. He was complaining all the way up that his "tuned" Ford would not keep up. And while the route may be scenic any flat route that gets you to your destination and avoids a bunch of climbs is a fuel saver. "Ford capable pulling mountain pass"? Why pull a mountain when there is a flat ground route? Just for viewing a few trees? So far, I have not had another brand of truck pass me going up any grade, at least one pulling equal weight and I have passed a bunch. So my factual data has to do with the number of other "brands" passed over long climbs. It's not a challenge if the outcome is predetermined :)

This is one topic that is much like the "which tire is best" threads that get going here. There are a zillion opinions and everyone has a reason for their opinion. Changing their minds only comes with a good or bad experience with whatever brand it is. I don't drive a Ford or Dodge so I don't have an opinion on their abilities. I have some observations and because of those I will continue with my brand until something changes my mine.

I think we have probably beat this dead horse enough and opinions won't be changed even if we continue to beat it.

Have fun at the Rally.

JohnD

OK . . . dropped $400 at the trailer hitch place yesterday, and now my trailer is perfectly level while towing with my new truck.

But . . . now I have a new issue!

Now, when I back the trailer into the yard, the trailer hitch (and the crank-down) itself drags on the sidewalk!

I've had this issue in the past with [previous trucks, and I don't like the fix . . . changing ball mounts to get over the sidewalk, then putting the original back in to put the trailer in it's parking spot!

I've already removed the front scissor jacks . . . hoping not to have to remove the rear scissor jacks as well!

The only other option at this point is to flip the axles to raise the trailer . . . and I really don't want to do that!