Cargo Door Supports

here4now

We are full-timers who currently own a motorhome; but we are seriously considering switching to a 5th wheel. We really like the Heartland Big Country.

Some of the Big Country 5th wheels we have seen both online and in person have gas struts supporting the outside curb-side cargo door, but most do not. Are the doors supposed to have struts and is someone forgetting to install them, or are there design changes? If struts are being eliminated, how do you keep the heavy door open?

blarsony

Re: Carge Door Supports

On our Big Country (3450TS) the curb side main cargo door is held in place by magnets, and I personally prefer this over the strut style. The doors are solid and sturdy, not heavy, and can be placed into position with one hand.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life

My Silverado has magnets also. Love having it this way as it gives you more room on the outside to be able to get all your stuff in and out.

Last edited:

Tombstonejim

I went from a Holiday Rambler Endevor to a Big Country. We did the trade because we don't plan to travel anymore and the BC kinda acts as mobile condo we can move if we really decide to. One thing I can guarantee is that you are not going to find a 5thweel that is as well made as your Allegro Bay. I am willing to bet that everything on the Allegro like inverters, generators, water pumps are easy to get to and in separate compartments. All or most of that stuff is all hidden under the floor in most 5thW. I get frustrated all the time having to take down the storage compartment wall to reach something. But having said that we really like our BC for the living space.

Jim.Allison

My Big Country has the magnets and they have never failed, I have had that basement door open in high winds and it remains unaffected. Love it.

pegmikef

My Big Horn came with the struts, but I have noticed several Big Countrys about the same age have magnets. It looks to me like both work equally well.

here4now

Thanks for all the replies.

I like the idea of magnets because they do not infringe on the width of the opening the way struts do.

On the other hand, struts sound like a good idea because they help lift the door, which may come in handy if I have my hands full or if my bad shoulder is acting up that day.

If we end up with a Big Country with magnets, I guess I'll give them a try. If I decide I prefer struts, I cal always add them later.

Jim.Allison

If for some reason you don't like the magnets, you can probably install the gas struts if you wanted to.

Thanks for all the replies.

I like the idea of magnets because they do not infringe on the width of the opening the way struts do.

On the other hand, struts sound like a good idea because they help lift the door, which may come in handy if I have my hands full or if my bad shoulder is acting up that day.

If we end up with a Big Country with magnets, I guess I'll give them a try. If I decide I prefer struts, I cal always add them later.

yport

I have a 2014 Big Horn which had the struts. Problem ... the struts actually pushed the hinge out to much when opened and chipped my partial body paint off the left corner. I was at the factory for a tour and some minor repairs ... one of which was the chipping paint problem. It was a new issue to Heartland that they did not know about on full and partial body paint coaches as that hinge is painted. They tried replacing struts with a pair that was a little weaker and did not "push out" the hinge as much when fully opened. Same problem. Only solution was to change out the struts for magnets that they started using on the Big Countrys. At first I was really bummed, but it has only now been a month since I left the factory and really like the magnets instead. The door now swings easily totally out of the way and I'm not ducking under the door with struts. The magnets (2) hold firmly and there are no scratching issues. I like them better ...

kkamshop

Tombstonejim I also go tired of removing that wall. I removed 1 section of it and added hinges to it and reinstalled it as a door.

Jim.Allison

Im thinking about screwing a 1x2 along the floor and ceiling and applying industrial velcro to secure the panel. Or maybe 6 screws. Any comments on that idea.

Tombstonejim I also go tired of removing that wall. I removed 1 section of it and added hinges to it and reinstalled it as a door.

sengli

I removed the gas struts from my big horn doors, because of the amount of pre-load they put on the hinge of the doors. This amount of pre-load was enough in my case to hold the doors "up" with enough force when closed to not allow the lower seal of the cargo door to do its job. I had water get in the doors. I replaced the gas struts, with the affore mentioned magnets, which have no moving parts, and will never wear out or need replaced. The doors are very light in my opinion to lift and manage. Over time the gas struts will needs to be replaced as they wear out.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
For those that added magnet catches, where did you buy them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli

They use the magnet catches on the gateway coaches. I called up heartland and ordered them. They are very strong, and a much better way to hold up the doors, verses the mechanical catches they used on our elkridge.

pegmikef

Im thinking about screwing a 1x2 along the floor and ceiling and applying industrial velcro to secure the panel. Or maybe 6 screws. Any comments on that idea.

I just used hinge locks and put two on each end of the section to be removed so I can easily remove it entirely or just open one side and swing it open. Works great. I recall buying the hinges at one of the big box stores (Lowes or Home Depot).

Attachments

• wallhinge.JPG
    wallhinge.JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 35
  • wallhinge2.JPG
    wallhinge2.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 33

SilverRhino

Seems that there are a couple of different discussions going on in this thread.

I am interested in the magnetic catches......Are the used as a replacement for the spring clip that holds my main compartment door up in the open position?? Does anyone have a photo of these... or a source?

piet10

This is the second branch to this thread, but I went with Velcro. I have three sections to my basement wall, used Velcro on each. Works great, I can take the whole basement down or put it back up in seconds.

Al

JeromyS

For those that added magnet catches, where did you buy them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I just called heartland customer service and asked for parts. I described the magnetic latches and they were able to look up the part number. The nice lady on the phone mentioned they were 7 lb magnets. Anyhow a set of them (two sets needed per door) was about 8 bucks and some change. HOC members get a discount as well on parts ordered from Heartland (never knew that!). Anyhow figured I'd report back what I found on this thread. Still don't know the manufacturer but you can get them directly from Heartland parts.