Refinishing Countertops

ClarenceD

I recently purchased a used Bighorn 2011 3055RL and its generally in pristine condition except there are some scratches (more like rub marks) in the countertop finish which viewed in the right light are dull marks in an otherwise polished countertop. I tried a liquid refinishing product from Home Depot and it helped somewhat but I think I need a rubbing compound and a buffer to bring the polished finish back. Has anyone had any experience with a product that works for these counters?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The method used for the Hanex countertops is to start with a 220 grit wet sand paper (use water with a few drops of Dawn) and progress to a higher grit like 1000 or higher. Clean it well and then use automotive polishing CREAM, not compound. Follow with a coat of wax and it will shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

Don't know if the same person but I know Bob Mansolino has done several demos. I was lucky enough to attend one this past spring at Gulf Shores. He really knows what he is doing.

Tallyrver

Don't know if the same person but I know Bob Mansolino has done several demos. I was lucky enough to attend one this past spring at Gulf Shores. He really knows what he is doing.

He was great!
After the rally I went to Walmart and bought a polisher and ordered the wax off Amazon. In about half an hour I had counters that looked like they came out of a Prevost .
wayne

happykraut

I recently purchased a used Bighorn 2011 3055RL and its generally in pristine condition except there are some scratches (more like rub marks) in the countertop finish which viewed in the right light are dull marks in an otherwise polished countertop. I tried a liquid refinishing product from Home Depot and it helped somewhat but I think I need a rubbing compound and a buffer to bring the polished finish back. Has anyone had any experience with a product that works for these counters?
Don't waste your time and effort using sandpaper if you just have rub marks. Use the Meguiar’s #50 as shown in post#3 and a buffer/polisher. If that doesn't take it out, you can always go the sandpaper route.

ClarenceD

Thank you all ! You have me excited to give it a try !
I think I will take Happykrauts' advice to try the Meguairs#50 for the first attempt and see how things turn out. The link that dcwettstein supplied is pretty awesome process its kind of what I actually was expecting that would be required. I'll definitely take before and after photos.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you have deep scratches from some worthless piece of **** dragging your TV's over the counters as he's "liberating" them, you'll be "wasting" your time with multiple grits of sandpaper. BTDT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk