Between a 305rw and raptor 300mp

My wife and I had our hearts set on the 305rw(or cy3010 but there is a RW dealer down the street) then we just went and looked at the 2014/15 Keystone Raptor 300mp. They seemed very nice with lots of interior details that seemed pretty nice ( a little more home style touches with moldings and lighting). I'm sure it will be a little biased here but I am still leaning toward the heartland. Does anyone have any experience with the newer keystones or things to look for to push me over the edge back to the heartlands? I know I absolutely want the level up system and the rear patio which both brands have.
Thanks in advance,
cole

danemayer

Hi Jeepercole,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a great bunch of friendly and helpful people here and I'm sure you'll hear from some of them shortly.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As I have never looked at a Raptor, I can't compare the two. I suggest you find some forums with reviews of both. One thing I know for sure is HL customer support is the best out there. Keep in mind that is more important than anything. Is anything you buy going to be trouble free....probably not. How well will Keystone stand behind their product would be the question. All the "bells and whistles" won't mean a thing if it falls apart around your ears and the manufacturer won't stand up and fix it. JMHO

ILH

Three years ago we looked at both models. We found that the garage was better finished on the HL model. We also preferred the hinges, drawers and bench/table setup on the 305 over the raptor. I'm sure happy with this support forum and rallies.

This is about what I was thinking. It seems like every make has some issues at one point or another. From reading on here it sounds like heartland has been pretty good at making things right with any problems that arise. How important is it to buy from your local dealer? Any problems buying across the country and getting a local service dept to work with you? If you were ordering a new one today are there any option you would definetly order if doing it over? Thanks!

ILH

I ordered double pane windows - love them! I wish I had ordered levelling system - I'm getting jealous watching all these guys pull in and push a single button to level their rigs. I have the rear patio - would do it again. However, I did not order the awning over the patio which I regret. I would also consider (if available) the awning along the side towards the rear of the rig. As for a genny - depends entirely on how much you will use one.

porthole

Retired
When we were in the market I flew out to Indiana, rented a car and toured all the big name toy hauler plants.
They all had +'s and -'s and in the end the Cyclone was a clear winner for us.
Fit, finish, options etc.
lot of little things you just don't think of when looking.

The cost if flying, renting, hotel and meals was minimal considering the was a major purchase for us.

One brand had the genny exhaust on the door side, one had ugly compartment doors, one had the compartment door doubled. All but the Cyclone at that time had 1/2" doors, Cyclone had 1" doors.
There are many things that add to the value that you may miss on first glance.

Take your first impression when you walk in. Sit in any trailer you like for at least a half hour.

ILH

When my wife and I were shopping we would keep notes on things we liked and disliked for each unit, then looked at the same items on susequent rigs. Its important to make notes or you forget too easily when comparing. A camera or smart phone to take pictures is good too - after a few comparisons you won't remember which unit had what features!

Its often the small things that make a difference,

- fit and finish
- hinges
- drawer construction
- kitchen layout (are the cupboards in the right location)
- enough plugs?
- mattress quality
- tire quality
- access to plumbing for winterizing

porthole

Retired
Something else to consider with the cabinets. There are a couple of previous Cyclone models that had cabinets that a) had almost useless doors and b) were not deep enough for a standard dinner plate.

Something you just don't think about when looking.

That's when sitting in a trailer you really like for an hour or so really helps.

Blue Oval

We just bought a 2014 310RW and love it. I looked at the raptor and it would have been my second choice. Small things that I didn't like:
*table in the garage was kinda cheap and free standing as opposed to being secured in the floor like the RW. I could see stuff getting spilled when people tried to get up. I think the one in the coach was the same.
*I don't think they had the slam hatches, which were a must for me.
*I'm not a fan of the frameless Windows. You really don't get anymore of an opening, and I have heard they have a tendency to leak or pop out.
*the decor inside the raptor leaves allot to be desired IMO. Reminds me of the 60's with all the patterns and colors.
*the drive mechanisms and gears for the slide seem to be a lot beefier on the HL.

We Travel with a couple that have a raptor. Nothing but problem Everytime we go out for 2 years on their Raptor. Little sitting room in living area. Their free standing table broke after about 3 trips. I have had a lot of issues with my RW but, you couldn't give me theirs.