ATF: Road Warrior - gas vs auto refrigerator

porthole

Retired
Either. But, "gas" will only use propane.
"Auto" will default to AC electric if available. As soon as you unplug the fridge will switch to gas mode.

Most that travel with the gas on just leave it in auto.

ILH

You're safe to leave it on auto. The only time I put it on GAS is when the fridge seems to having trouble staying cold. Gas is soooo much more efficient that it will render the fridge cold very quickly. Once cold again, I switch it back to AUTO.

danemayer

If you leave it on AUTO, make it a practice (or add to your departure checklist if you have one) to check the frig a minute or two after disconnecting shore power. If for example you were out of propane on the tank that was open, when you unplug shore power, the frig will attempt 3 times to start up the propane burner and then lock out. Better to discover that before you go down the road for 7 hours.

rxbristol

If you leave it on AUTO, make it a practice (or add to your departure checklist if you have one) to check the frig a minute or two after disconnecting shore power. If for example you were out of propane on the tank that was open, when you unplug shore power, the frig will attempt 3 times to start up the propane burner and then lock out. Better to discover that before you go down the road for 7 hours.

Good point. Also, if there's air in the line it might take several tries to get it ignite. The only way to restart the ignition phase is to turn off the fridge and back on again. On an old A class I had, I would have to repeat this step three times after it had not used propane for several weeks. The fridge should give an audible warning if it did not ignite.

ILH

With respect to purging the line, such as at the beginning of the season, I run my stove burners to help draw the gas through the line. Then the fridge doesn't have to draw gas quite as far.