Factory prep pkg for generator?

Jimnkarens

Can anyone tell me what is included in the factory installed prep pakg for generators in the Bighorn? Is there an automatic transfer switch included?

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
We have a 2013 Landmark witht the "Gen Prep" and it does have the transfor switch factory installed. To best answer you question and be sure would be to take down a basement wall and look under the flooring to confirm the gray boxed transfer switch is really there. It would be connected inline with your electric service line to the back of your 120V circuit panel.

Jimnkarens

Murry135, thank you. I have the genset start switch inside the coach on the wall. And I have the modular electrical connector in the genset compartment. I will open the basement wall to check for the transfer switch, as you say. If I understand, the transfer switch should already be wired into the electrical line from the start switch to the connector in the genset compartment.
thanks.

jimtoo

Also,,, since your back there looking,,, if your not afraid I would suggest you make sure you have all power disconnected and maybe remove cover and check the connections on the transfer switch. There have been some reports of wiring or transfer switch loose connections causing a failure of electrical service.

Jim M

murry135

Jim,

More than likely you have the transfer switch already onboard since all the other items are there but a final look see will be the best answer. Yes, watch out if you plan on opening the transfer switch and checking connections, DC land line power. Good Luck.

danemayer

If I understand, the transfer switch should already be wired into the electrical line from the start switch to the connector in the genset compartment.
I'm not sure where the start switch terminates, but I'm sure it doesn't go to the transfer switch. It should go directly to something on the generator. I think you'll find a junction box where the generator goes. The #6 wires from that junction box go to the input side of the transfer switch.

The sequence of operation is that you press the Start switch to get the genny started. After it runs for about 30 seconds, power is passed to the transfer switch, which gives priority to the generator. If the transfer switch detects 120V on L1 coming into the switch, the contactors activate and power passes through the switch and on to the circuit breaker panel.

Another owner who did a self install found some type of plastic lockout plug in the transfer switch that prevented the contactor from activating. If you have that, you'll have to remove it when you install the generator.

And once again, when working on the transfer switch, best to unplug from shore power. There are two 50 amp circuits on each side of the transfer switch, which is more than enough to injure or kill you.

Jimnkarens

Thank you both, Murry135 and danemayer for the help. I plan to buy the Onan 5500 LP and install it myself.

Jim.Allison

I have to ditto the others, I could never get a straight answer from anyone on what is included with the gen prep package. I bought it anyway assuming that every thing would be there. I paid $800 for the prep. Included in the gen prep for the 2014 Big Country 3650RL;

1) steel generator housing
2) Generator mount
3) Junction box and wire from garage to the transfer switch (prewired)
4) Transfer switch (and yellow lock device that hold the transfer switch in the shore power position)
5) Generator panel and starter switch.
6) Generator panel wiring harness into the garage/generator cabinet

I think it was a good value for $800. It was a "plug and play" installation. It took my son and I about 5 hours to do the job,

With the gen prep, it cost me an additional $4000 to install a Cummins Onan LP5500. It was exceedingly easy, but took a lot of planning and a few common tools. Cutting out the ventilation holes (cool air intake and hot air exhaust) and the flywheel access hole require interpreting a drawing in the back of the installation manual or you can get the template from any Onan dealer so they say, I just interpreted the drawing they provided in the installation guide. I just plotted it with a scratch awl and center punch. I used a hole saw to cut the metal to the proper dimension, and to cut the corners on the cool air intake and hot air exhaust, then used a sawzall to cut the straight lines, it worked great. No welding or cutting torches.

About the worst thing about my install was getting that 273 lb thing in the garage. You will have to have a plan to move it into your garage or you will need some mighty teenage boys around, probably would not be a bad idea to have them anyway. They work for beer and burgers.

BTW, the dealers always quoted the generator and the gen prep separate. That means that if you buy a generator and they install it, you will also pay for the gen prep. If the generator install is $6k then it is $6800 with the gen prep. Don't let this one get past you. I saved $2k on the install, based on what they wanted for the generator. I will work for a half of a day for $2k.

Order that generator from an out of state wholesaler, I did not pay Texas sales tax or freight on the generator. It came to my front door. If they don't do residential for free then tell them to "hold at the terminal for pickup." They will load it for you.

Sorry to go on for so long but if you're doing this, I thought you might like to hear the details of what you are up against. Personally the gen prep is worth $800.

Bought my LP5500 here. http://www.norwall.com/products/Cummins-Onan-QG-5500-Propane-RV-Generator-5.5HGJAB-1270

Can anyone tell me what is included in the factory installed prep pakg for generators in the Bighorn? Is there an automatic transfer switch included?

Jim.Allison

When installing a generator in a gen prep package, you need to open the transfer switch housing and look for a yellow machined or laser cut plastic piece. that needs to be remove so that the switch will transfer to the generator from the shore power position. If you start the generator and this lock is still in place you will burn up the transfer switch, take nothing for granted. It happened to me.

Jimnkarens

Ok, I found the transfer switch and found the 8 pin cable and connector in the genset compartment. Does the gen prep include the wires connected to the shore power and batteries from the transfer switch? And does it include the cables to connect the xfer switch to the genset?
Thx for all the advice.

murry135

OK, glad you found the transfer switch box. The rest of your question I can not honestly or accurately answer. You probably need to purchase some cables in addition to complete setup. ie: battery cables and power supply cable to/from junction box.

danemayer

Does the gen prep include the wires connected to the shore power and batteries from the transfer switch? And does it include the cables to connect the xfer switch to the genset?
Thx for all the advice.

Jim,

There should be a junction box in the genset compartment with #6 wiring going to the transfer switch. That's all that goes from genset to transfer switch.

A heavy 12V wire runs from the battery to the genset starter terminal. I don't know if that's part of the gen prep option. If you don't see an extra large diameter (probably RED) wire either in the genset area or at the battery, it may not be part of the option.

Jim.Allison

I had to buy my starter wires. I elected to have a separate battery for the genset.
Jim,

There should be a junction box in the genset compartment with #6 wiring going to the transfer switch. That's all that goes from genset to transfer switch.

A heavy 12V wire runs from the battery to the genset starter terminal. I don't know if that's part of the gen prep option. If you don't see an extra large diameter (probably RED) wire either in the genset area or at the battery, it may not be part of the option.

sjandbj

Can someone tell me where Heartland hides the transfer switch on a Big Country 3150? I must be going blind because i can't seem to find something that has a yellow tab on it.
Steve

Jimnkarens

The transfer switch in my Bighorn was mounted on the floor behind the wall that houses the utilites, rearward of the removeable wall in the cargo area.

TXTiger

Just a reminder, if you have a generator you should run it about once a month even if you are hooked up to shore power or the rig is in storage. If you have a dish for your television also remember that when you shut the generator off there is a few seconds delay for the shore power to reconnect and you will have to reset up your receiver for your television.