Passing of Don Massengill

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
It's with great sadness that I post that our dear friend, camping buddy, and long time Heartland Owner's Club member, Don Massengill, passed away early this morning after a year and a half battle with pancreatic cancer. When I formed the Virginia Chapter back in 2008, Don and Cindy were one of the first couples to sign up for our first rally. They have been stalwart members and our great friends ever since, attending nearly every chapter rally and many Regional, National and nearby state rallies. Don was a consumate RVer/camper and had an engineering knack such that he could fix just about any problem or find a way to jerry rig around it. Debra and I will miss him terribly, and our love and sympathies go out to Cindy. She has been such a rock for the past few months, taking care of Don and staying by his side. We last saw Don just a couple of weeks ago and are so glad we got the chance to visit with Cindy and him then. Please pray for Cindy and her family in these difficult times.

jnbhobe

We were so happy to see Don and Cindy in Urbanna. Our prayers are for Cindy and the family.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
Prayers for Cindy and family it was great to see them at the rally having a great time and dancing the night away at the Beach Party RIP Don

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
What sad news. Thanks for sharing Gus. I will miss Don. He was a wonderful person, always ready with a kind word and offer to help. Carol and I send our prayers and best wishes to Cindy and family.

God Speed Don.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Just goes to show us all how short our time really is on this earth.

I didn't know Don . . . but wish I had known him!

wqmiller

Likewise, we didn't know Don and Cindy but it was our loss to not have met them. We send our prayers to Cindy and their family. May I ask what name he used on the forum? Just curious. We lost my wife's sister to pancreatic cancer in June of this year so we can feel Cindy's pain. I echo JohnD's comment......wish I had known him!

Quinton and Vesper Miller

Quinton Miller

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Likewise, we didn't know Don and Cindy but it was our loss to not have met them. We send our prayers to Cindy and their family. May I ask what name he used on the forum? Just curious. We lost my wife's sister to pancreatic cancer in June of this year so we can feel Cindy's pain. I echo JohnD's comment......wish I had known him!

Quinton and Vesper Miller

Quinton Miller

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don's forum name was "Andy". He always said it was just a name he picked out of the air, but I've always suspected there was some tie-in to something. He was not a frequent poster, usually just responding to rally notices. Like "Porthole" on the forum, he was a "King of Mods", could make anything out of nothing and fix broken stuff with chewing gum and baling wire if necessary. When Cindy was having real problems with her knees, he fashioned an electric elevator/lift for her to get in and out of the RV door, modified a swivel wheel trailer to pull his golf cart behind the RV, added tons of storage solutions to the cargo bay, expanded the propane system to have it feeding multiple external appliances, added a full coach water filtration system fully contained within the UDC, and many, many other neat add-ons and mods. We sure will miss him. :(

wqmiller

Hit the wrong button.....didn't finish. Sounds like he was an RVER's go to person for advice and information. I'm sure you are correct.....he will surely be missed! Thanks for the data fill. Take care!