Labor Day 3 AM wake up explosion

rjr6150

Heard a loud explosion 3am looked out our bedroom window to this across the road. The man and wife both got out smoke inhalation and 2-3 degree burns on both will be in the hospital at least a week.

Sold their car to buy this early to mid 80's MH. No insurance what money they had was on the dash and now gone with the fire.

The ranger wanted my photos next day as only ones they had at start of fire. Evidently people walking by earlier in the evening stopped by to tell then they smelled propane while walking by. Gentlemen had just bought the rig and supposedly knew it all.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

pegmikef

Well, I am very sorry for their loss, but glad they survived. Looks like he might have made a bad choice or two (no insurance, ignoring the propane warnings).

Birchwood

Similar incident in St Augustine FL two years ago when the MH across from us exploded while the lady owner was at a flea market
No one injured but gutted the MH ,blew out the front window and doors were ajar.

Westwind

Unfortunate incident, so many folk are hanging on by a thread and think that getting an RV is a inexpensive way to have a roof over their head, unfortunately we know that a RV that is the age of their unit needs work to be safe. A financially strapped newby doesn't. I'm glad they survived.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sad to think that an inexpensive handheld gas detector might have told him he had a problem.

Say what you will, but these rigs are not for those that are trying to live hand to mouth. They take money to maintain and age is not in their favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HornedToad

what money they had was on the dash and now gone with the fire.

TRUE STORY...

In the mid 1980's a gambler leaves Sunland Park Racetrack after cashing a large ticket. He sets the envelope of cash on his dash and starts his car, the engine explodes in flames and he was barely able to escape with his life. The money was burnt in the fire.

He contacted the Treasury Department and filed a destroyed money claim. They came out... inspected the ashes on the dash, verified his winnings with the track and replaced the money.