what to leave in the camper when talking it to the dealer???

Blue Oval

I have a laundry list of stuff for the dealer to fix, so I will be dropping it off at the dealer today or tomorrow. My question is what does everyone do with their personal items when taking it in for service. Not saying anybody is going to steal anything, but if something happens they usually aren't liable.

danemayer

Dealers generally won't accept responsibility for missing personal items and often leave trailers unlocked while on their lots. Before we were full-timing, we would unload our personal items before taking the rig to the dealer. If we had to take it in now, we'd probably have to put a lot of stuff in the truck or find a temporary secure location.

RoadJunkie

Don't leave anything that would hurt to live without. In general, I would remove man-stuff; tools, generator,etc.

Blue Oval

Ok....well at least I'm not over reacting. I was thinking I would take everything out, but I wanted to see if others on here did the same. Guess it's time to make some room in the garage lol.

pegmikef

We take anything out that is hockable (includes small appliances, tools, cds, dvds, and anything else of marketable value). We usually leave most of our clothes (except maybe high dollar jackets or similar apparel), mundane kitchen stuff such as dishes pots and pans cleaning supplies. and as RoadJunkie said, anything you can't live without.

Jim.Allison

Losses are covered by your insurance company, they will attempt to recover your deductible and their expenses from teh dealers liability insurance company. Its a foregone conclusions not to leave your good stuff in there. RV'rs tend to have good camping chairs, good tools including unusual ones like torque wrenches. Some people value the strangest items. You might think that no-one would steal item X but they will because the attach value to it, other items are stolen be cause the opportunity presented.

The real problem comes in what you can't remove, like your inverter and batteries, and sound system.

The best defense is to photograph your stuff at the RV lot, preferably with the service manager standing there. Remove anything else.

Blue Oval

Thanks everyone, along with removing my personal items I will video a walk through with the service writer there.

branson4020

Icantre Member
It wasn't until months after we had our RV serviced that we noticed that some of our good kitchen knives were missing...

Blue Oval

Guess I'll pull the majority of stuff out, just to be on the safe side and avoid the potential hassle of proving it was there.

GOTTOYS

The one and only time I brought mine in to the selling dealer...It sat there for over a month. When I finally got tired of waiting for them to finish it I went and picked it up unfinished. When I got there hitched up and did my walk around, I found one of my big storage compartment doors was unlocked. There wasn't much to take so I was lucky. Who knows how long it sat on their unsecured lot like that? Just a warning..it does happen...Don