MPG - How does battery charge

A.Wright

Hi, We just bought a new deep cell golf cart battery for our MPG.

We are wondering how this battery gets re-charged.

Does it automatically charge when the trailer is plugged into shore power?

Can you add a solar charger? Where would it be mounted? How would it be connected.

Is there anything else we need to know about maintenance of the battery?

Thanks so much.

Angie Wright

Jim.Allison

Re: ATF: MPG - How does battery charge

How many volts is your golf cart batt, generally speaking a golf cart batt is 6v, if that is the case you will need two in series to make a 12v system which is what most modern RV require. There are 12v golf cart batts but they are unusual, I use them but many use 2 6v golf cart batteries. So you need to answer that question. Second, in a modern RV your charger works off of shore power or generator, and provides charging for your batteries and DC for your rig in general. And yes solar is an excellent choice for charging batteries. There is a lot to this topic. And so much new stuff on the market. one can build a nice, highly capable solar system for very little money. But is dependant what you want to achieve with it as to how you style it.

Hi, We just bought a new deep cell golf cart battery for our MPG.

We are wondering how this battery gets re-charged.

Does it automatically charge when the trailer is plugged into shore power?

Can you add a solar charger? Where would it be mounted? How would it be connected.

Is there anything else we need to know about maintenance of the battery?

Thanks so much.

Angie Wright

Last edited:

pegmikef

Re: ATF: MPG - How does battery charge

I used two six volt Trojan 105 from my golf cart on my North Trail when we boondocked and just mounted them on the tongue behind the propane tanks. That is the location that is already cabled for the batteries. I did have to buy two battery boxes for the batteries, because the one for the OEM 12 V battery was too small. I got them from JC Whitney.