Doran TPS / Valve Stem Torque

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I meant to post this a while back. We were in Furnace creek the week after Turkey Day. When leaving, after an arduous hook up due to an accident, the Doran dispayed low pressure on the OD front tire. We headed to the Chevron and after convincing ($10) the knucklehead that I was not able to take off the tire he got it off and into the tank, no puncture, the valve stem nut had backed off. With my trusty 9/16 OE wrench I torqued it back up. The compressor there only would get the GY up to 100psi, I called it good and headed out. The next 6 hours of driving through the Mojave in a **** monsoon is for another time.

Point: Check every thing!

jbeletti

Good catch Roger. Glad that's all it was and thanks for sharing. I moved this from BH - Tires to the TPMS forum for viewing by a wider audience. I left a redirect in BH - Tires that will expire in 1 week.

Jim

fivernine

Uncle Rog, didn't have that problem, but started using Doran TPS in April 2004 after blowing the rear OD tire on my 37' Jayco without knowing until someone signaled me. The tire was just sidewalls cooked, smoked and ready to eat. At that time, Doran didn't know that rubber valve stems would fatigue and crack under the increased centrifugal load of the sensors. I had two valve stems go in the first year before it hit me and I switched to metal stems with no more problems. They did work as promised: both times they told me I had low pressure (and both times they caused it). I did find that the display with built-in antenna would not reliably pick up the sensor signals when mounted in my cab (again, this was in 2004) from my 37' fiver, so Doran sent me a unit with an external antenna that I fished back and mounted upside down on the rear frame near the receiver hitch. I have since moved it to my 2007 GMC 2500HD and the rear antenna works with pretty good reliability. Once in a great while, the receiver will fail to pick up one of the senders, but I get a beep warning that it has not sent a signal for several minutes, then it will pick back up and work normally for days. I am amazed at the battery life of these senders: I put them on my Jayco in April 2004 and have since moved them to my Landmark and they still work fine. Good equipment and real peace of mind!

Uncle Rog

I switched to metal stems in around '95 when all the stems on my Prowler were looking pretty bad. We had to have them changed on the way out of town before hitting the road. This is my 4th rig with metal and the first time the valves have been an issue........

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
What is the difference from the pressure pro system and the Doran? And which one should I buy and should I get the sensors for the RV tires and the towing truck tires?

Pat McFall

What is the difference from the pressure pro system and the Doran? And which one should I buy and should I get the sensors for the RV tires and the towing truck tires?

Good morning Larry,

The main difference in the Doran and the PressurePro system right now is that PressurePro has been around for over 5 years. It is made in the USA and has a proven track record. I can guarantee you that PressurePro will stand behind it's product. Doran used to be a distributor for PressurePro so the product he sold for years was actually a PressurePro. Doran decided to go a different direction and now has a "new" TPMS that has only been on the market for a couple of weeks. No one knows how it will perform at this point. I'm not saying it's bad, just that it has no track record.

Some folks buy the Sensors for just the RV tires first but usually always end up getting them for the tow truck later. If I can answer any questions for you, you can email me or give me a call (850)294-0281. We will be presenting a Seminar at the Heartland Owners International Rally in Branson this summer.

Safe Travels,

Pat

Delaine and Lindy

Pressure Pro System..........

Today I ordered our 2nd Pressure Pro system from Pat. Had a PPS before but when we sold out Truck and 5er I let the new owners buy the PPS. Just couldn't let them take off without the PP. It on two different occasions saved us untold dollars because of cracked wheels. I really didn't want to pull our Landmark home without the PP, however since we had the Goodyear G614 we pull it a 130 miles and its under the pole barn and want be moved until I get the PP. Pat said it should be here in a couple of days. The Landmark has steel valve stims already will have to get the Truck changed out to steel valves. I highly recomend the Pressure Pro monitoring system, it will save you money. Low air pressure in tires is the major reason for tire failure, and the PPS will let you know when the tire pressure is low. So get the PPS............ GBY....

Pat McFall

Today I ordered our 2nd Pressure Pro system from Pat. Had a PPS before but when we sold out Truck and 5er I let the new owners buy the PPS. Just couldn't let them take off without the PP. It on two different occasions saved us untold dollars because of cracked wheels. I really didn't want to pull our Landmark home with the PP, however since we had the Goodyear G614 we pull it a 130 miles and its under the pole barn and want be moved until I get the PP. Pat said it should be here in a couple of days. The Landmark has steel valve stims already will have to get the Truck changed out to steel valves. I highly recomend the Pressure Pro monitoring system, it will save you money. Low air pressure in tires is the major reason for tire failure, and the PPS will let you know when the tire pressure is low. So get the PPS............ GBY....

Thanks Lindy. It's in the mail. I sent you an email to your private email address.

Safe Travels,

Pat

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Delaine and Lindy,
This morning I bought the same PPS and her dry wash cleaning solution as well from Pat NcFall for both my truck and bh 3400RE. All I need to do is get the steel stems for both of them and I will feel alot safer.
Thanks alot Pat for all the info and great products. Since Pat has been featured on the forum I felt buying from her was a safe bet and you guys just confirmed it.
Now I just need an air compressor (anyone have any ideas) to check the air pressure and adjust to specs. I don't feel too good trying it a gas station. Might make the wrong kind of news.

kognito

Now I just need an air compressor (anyone have any ideas) to check the air pressure and adjust to specs. I don't feel too good trying it a gas station. Might make the wrong kind of news.

I had the pleasure of using one of these a few weeks ago http://www.pressureprosystem.com/powertank.aspx
My neighbors have one, (Dale and Mark Bruss) so I was able to borrow Mark's tank to give it a try. It has an excellent fill handle and accurate gage. I haven't contacted Pat about ordering one yet, and it will probably have to wait till I finish off this years taxes. (W Bush's rebate check will be spent on one!)

I'm not sure which model I was using, but maybe Pat will chime in with that information

Uncle Rog

cRASH, good move, the system will give you a lot more confidence and piece of mind........
There is lots of info around on compressors here............