12 v issue.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We just had a few storms come thru and the power is out. And for some reason or 12V is not working. I have 2 6V batteries in parallel to make 12V. Can I jump them with my truck? I would think I need to connect to the terminals that my red and white are connected to.

Jim.Allison

I hope you are in series not parallel for 6v. Check them with multimeter to see if they are charged. If they are charged then you have another problem. So you have shore power restored or are you depending on batts?

Series for 6 volt is positive to negative. I assume that you meant series and not parallel. Here is illustration link.

You can plug in your truck and charge with 7 way truck connector rather than do a direct jump and possibly damage your alternator. (I dont know one way or another if you can jump with cables but I do know that your 7 way will charge. Good luck.

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-bank-tutorial.html
We just had a few storms come thru and the power is out. And for some reason or 12V is not working. I have 2 6V batteries in parallel to make 12V. Can I jump them with my truck? I would think I need to connect to the terminals that my red and white are connected to.

branson4020

Icantre Member
You can certainly connect your truck battery across the two series-connected 6V batteries. But, if you have 12V power to the landing jacks and slides, but nothing inside the coach, then the problem is almost certainly a tripped 12V circuit breaker in the battery compartment.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You can certainly connect your truck battery across the two series-connected 6V batteries. But, if you have 12V power to the landing jacks and slides, but nothing inside the coach, then the problem is almost certainly a tripped 12V circuit breaker in the battery compartment.

X2 from me

Jim.Allison

I forgot about the little breaker.....lol, i think I might put a red flag on mine lest I be on the forum someday looking for this answer.

I will not dispute the ability to connect a set of jumper cables to the tv battery terminals because I don't know the details. But I wonder if the unregulated flow from the TV batts to the house batts will 1) damage either house or TV batts (depending on depth of charge) or 2) damage his alternator.

I would think that the regulated charge off the 7 point would be the tried and true way to run your rig and charge your house batts. IMHO.

But in any case, the breaker in the batt compartment is the probable solution.

2psnapod2

Yes they are in series. As I was getting 12 volts from them before. I will check the CB first as that's an easy one.

2psnapod2

Thanks guys for the help. It was the CB. But now I know I can also use my truck, which just could come in handy at some point.

jbeletti

Happy to hear it was a simple CB reset Mike. BTW, whenever you use an external battery charger or jumper cables on the house batteries, just be sure to never short the wires, even for a second, lest you blow all 3 fuses in the converter. Simple to replace them, tough to get to them :)

2psnapod2

Thanks for that very important piece of info. Gen low on oil so no power there. Kelly out with truck. So I sit in the dark trying to save battery for the frig. Good thing for my new tablet and some games.

jbeletti

Michael,

Your converter should be supplying enough DC power to the coach to light the lights. You may want to check the converter to see if it's plugged in or if that circuit breaker is tripped again.

2psnapod2

Jim, I have lights. Just not much charge left. So I was conserving for the frig.