Flex Fuel (E85) . . . anyone got the scoop on it!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My new truck is capable of using FlexFuel (E85) gas, and I've seen it around .40 cents cheaper per gallon than regular unleaded.

I haven't used it yet as I am unsure about it's capabilities.

Or if can hurt anything . . . ?

I'm also wondering if FlexFuel would be good when pulling the trailer . . . especially up in the mountains!

Anyone here have knowledge or experience with FlexFuel (E85) gas?

Last edited:

JeromyS

Re: FlexFuel (E85) . . . anyone got the scoop on it!

So I don't have personal experience but I too have a vehicle that will run off of E85. When I researched it, while it is cheaper you will get much less gas mileage so you'll end up needing to fill more frequently. Also given the less efficient energy from the fuel (worse gas mileage) I would venture to guess it would be quite problematic towing. I hope someone out there has real world experience and can help.

123camper

I have used it. Mpg drops a lot! Since I never let my tank get below 1/4 tank it took me 3 fill ups before my mpg went back to normal. Never towed with it and can't see how it could be a money saver with such low mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

John, while I can't use in my TV, we have used it in our SUV's on roadtrips. Seemed to work fine. Fuel mileage seemed about the same. The issue could the 15% alcohol in it. It takes about twice as much alcohol to create the same "bang" in the combustion chamber. So you might see some power difference. Try a tank and see.

Bohemian

Right now I would consider it a flexibility feature. If you can't find regular gasoline, you can fill with E85 and keep going.

Gas/E85 difference: The fuel economy of our Tahoe on E85, under these conditions, was 26.5 percent worse than it was when running on gas.
A motorist, filling up and comparing the prices of regular gas and E85, might see the price advantage of E85 (in our case 33 cents or 9.7 percent less) as a bargain. However, since fuel economy is significantly reduced, the net effect is that a person choosing to run their flex-fuel vehicle on E85 on a trip like ours will spend 22.8 percent more to drive the same distance. For us, the E85 trip was about $30 more expensive — about 22.9 cents per mile on E85 versus 18.7 cents per mile with gasoline.
The Final Score Card — Performance
We were also interested to see if there was a clear difference in performance. Here, the news was better for the renewable fuel. While the test times were generally slower for E85, the difference was small enough to go unnoticed by most drivers. Despite E85's higher octane rating (103 here) the flex-fuel nature of the Tahoe's 5.3-liter V8 engine prevents it from taking full advantage.
Final results
0-60
1/4 mile
50-70 passing, uphill (sec.)
time (sec.)
time @ (sec.)
speed (mph)
Cajon Pass
Baker Grade
Gas
7.6*
E85
* delayed kickdown
Environmental Comparison
E85 is often heralded as a way to reduce air pollution. Since increasing concern about global warming has focused attention on greenhouse gases, we decided to track our carbon emissions during this test.
By relating our observed fuel economy to CO[SUB]2[/SUB] emission figures found in the EPA's Green Vehicle Guide we determined that our gasoline round trip produced 706.5 pounds of carbon dioxide. On E85, the CO[SUB]2[/SUB] emissions came to 703.1 pounds. The difference came out in E85's favor, but only by a scant 0.5 percent. Call it a tie. This is certainly not the reduction in greenhouse gas emissions we had been led to expect.

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html

Note The observation that ethanol produces the same amount of CO2 as gasoline misses the fact that the net added CO2 from ethanol is exactly 0, while burning gasoline adds CO2 to the atmosphere. The reason is that the CO2 from plants source ethanol came from the atmosphere as the plant grew and is simply being returned to the atmosphere, net exactly 0 added CO2.

sjs731

We have tried it in our Jeep. Mileage goes down enough to make the cost difference a wash.

Steve and Carrie

HOC# 2252

2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax

B&W Companion Hitch

2012 Sundance 3300CK

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

I have used it and agree with the other posts.
Because your mileage will decrease you will not be saving much if anything.
There was a noticeable lack of power.
I don't think you will want to use it for towing.
I will never use it again. Ever.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

The Ethanol also eats away at any rubber parts it can get to in the fuel system.

GOTTOYS

John, while I can't use in my TV, we have used it in our SUV's on roadtrips. Seemed to work fine. Fuel mileage seemed about the same. The issue could the 15% alcohol in it. It takes about twice as much alcohol to create the same "bang" in the combustion chamber. So you might see some power difference. Try a tank and see.
E85 is 85% alcohol...Your vehicle has to be equipped for it from the factory. Costs about 25% less...fuel mileage is about 35% less...Where's the savings???...Don

Jim.Allison

Not in a flex fuel, and plus that they have not used rubber in a motor vehicle or general aviation aircraft for 40 years.
The Ethanol also eats away at any rubber parts it can get to in the fuel system.

Jim.Allison

Ditto, it boils down to miles per dollar and nothing more. not miles per gallon. When towing you will be consuming all kinds of E-85 as there are not as many hydrocarbons in a gallon of 8-85 as opposed to gasoline. Diesel is packed with hydrocarbons. Its dollars per mile, or hydrocarbons per dollar, how ever you want to break it down.

E85 is 85% alcohol...Your vehicle has to be equipped for it from the factory. Costs about 25% less...fuel mileage is about 35% less...Where's the savings???...Don

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

At $0.70 per gallon less for E-85 than E-10 and even difference more than no-ethanol blends, I fill up on E-85 when I can. The mileage is only a couple mpg for me. I avoid E-85 if I am towing long distance just so I don't have to refill as often.
Overall, I can save money using E-85 as long as the difference is around $.60 less per gallon. The best mileage I have is when I fill the tank 1/2 E-10 and 1/2 E-85.

JohnD

Sounds like the E85 is more of an option than something I should consider all the time.

I guess I was worried that maybe using it might damage the motor somehow.

Last summer on our way home from South Dakota we ran out of gas in the middle of Nowhere, Nebraska, and we used our Good Sam's Roadside Assistance to come to our rescue . . . and the tow truck driver dumped 5-gallons of FlexFuel (E85) into our gas tank on our 1996 Dodge Ram 1500.

Even though we had to fill up three more times on the way home, it took about six months to clear that stuff out of that truck.

For the rest of that trip home, when we would stop at a stop light or stop sign, the engine would sputter and I would have to keep my foot on the brake and the gas pedal to keep it from stalling.

For months, every time I started the truck . . . a cloud of black soot shot out of the exhaust and it ran real rough.

Perhaps after camping season (one more trip to go next week), I'll try a tank or two and see how it goes.

Now, my motor only has 1259 miles on it (just used my Onstar app to check that out) and right now is getting 13 mpg (Onstar app again), so I wonder if there is some break-in period that I should wait for until I try the E85?

JohnD

At $0.70 per gallon less for E-85 than E-10 and even difference more than no-ethanol blends, I fill up on E-85 when I can. The mileage is only a couple mpg for me. I avoid E-85 if I am towing long distance just so I don't have to refill as often.
Overall, I can save money using E-85 as long as the difference is around $.60 less per gallon. The best mileage I have is when I fill the tank 1/2 E-10 and 1/2 E-85.

What truck are you using E85 in?

Jim.Allison

Its always in the math. There is no magic in combusting hydrocarbons. Fact is if you have less hydrogens atoms in a gallon of fuel, you have less BTUs. Less BTUs less mileage per gallon. Try as they might the pro alcohol people lose on every point. There is no practical purpose for alcohol fuels except to reduce carbon emissions from fossil fuels. Nothing more. It takes the same number of hydrogen atoms to transport 1000 pounds from point A to point B no matter what fuel you burn. Diesels are more efficient at extracting power from the hydrocarbons burned but it fires at tremendous pressures in the combustion chamber. Given a common v8 motor though there is no difference in the number of hydrogens that will be combusted to provide the energy to do X amount of work.

JohnD

Yes

Cool!

We are originally from southern Michigan (Jackson - where the prison is :p ) and are thinking about pulling our trailer back there next summer for a long overdue visit.

Matter of fact . . . Labor Day was our 19th. anniversary of arrival here in Colorado!

Last time I was back there was August of 2006 . . .

Steadfast

The mandate in many states to use ethanol (E10,E85) as a gasoline additive helps no one except perhaps farmers. When you include the fossil fuel used to grow the corn and process it into ethanol, there is more total emissions over all. The corn processing procedure currently in use requires tons of water. I will go out of my way if non-ethanol fuel is available elsewhere.
Although we wouldn't have this fuel additive without the farm lobby, show me a farmer that actually uses E85 in the fields. They understand that ethanol has too little energy for the money.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

What truck are you using E85 in?

2012 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Vortec 6.0L V8

E-10 is common 10% ethanol regular unleaded gas. (In Iowa)
No ethanol unleaded gas is available but 10-15% higher or more.
Premium unleaded is even higher.