Got My A-Class License Thanks To This Forum

rxbristol

Well, thanks to this forum, Bill, Scott, Jim, John and Dan, I pursued my Class-A driver's license. It started with Bill's question, “Is It Time For An RV Operator's License”...at first, I didn't think I required the upgraded license, but unfortunately, I needed one. Since we're RVing full time, it was highly inconvenient to uproot my current rig just for the test, especially since I would have four dogs in the back seat during the driving portion. The local RV dealership (Patterson's RV), which we've bought four RV's from, was kind enough to loan me a rig for the test. I originally went to DPS just to see what would be required for an RV exemption A Class and found out I had to take a written test (unit 14 of the CDL book). They let me study the unit for a few minutes before I took the test...I passed with an 85%. Next, I scheduled the driving portion. The first time I went for the test, the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel had a dealer tag and they would not let me use it for the driving portion. The dealership let me borrow it again (I bought pizza for all the crew today) for a rescheduled attempt with it's original tag (which was still good along with the inspection). I passed the driving portion with some points deducted for the parallel parking, but it was “good” enough. The examiner stated if I hit a curb it was an automatic failure, so needless to say, I was some distance from it. Glad it's over, glad I got it, glad Bill posted his question...

Jim.Allison

Can you tell us what all was involved?........Even though I don't need one, I might avert some other problem somewhere with a cranky LEO if I did have one. Or who knows, I might need one in the future for some other reason. I would love to hear the details.

rxbristol

Can you tell us what all was involved?........Even though I don't need one, I might avert some other problem somewhere with a cranky LEO if I did have one. Or who knows, I might need one in the future for some other reason. I would love to hear the details.

Jim, it's too bad you're not going to the Bullard rally...I could give you all the gorey details. Here is what I had to do:

1. Have a current TX drivers licence.
2. Have current insurance.
3. Current inspections, truck and trailer
4. Registration for truck and trailer (I had a loaner agreement which worked for my situation).
5. Take the written test over unit 14 of the TX CDL book.
6. The examiner checks your lights and horn.
7. Take a road test (drove a route that demonstrated right and left turns, merging onto the interstate, backing up, and parallel parking.) Lots of turns.
8. Eye test
9. New picture
10. Finger printing
11. $11 fee

It pays to read what is expected from the road test in the CDL book. You'd be surprised the bad habits we get into over the years (eg., hands leaving the steering wheel and not getting into the correct lane after a turn).

I learned how to parallel park from watching a couple of YouTube videos. I practiced in a large empty parking lot a few times before heading off to take the examine.

scottyb

Congrats Rex. It is a relief to have that behind you. I discovered a small DPS office in Marble Falls, 20 min from my house, did a walk-in for the driving test. Had about 1-1/2 hours to burn due to a couple of appointments. Gave me time to have some biscuits and gravy at the Bluebonnet Cafe. Went back and was done in 20 minutes. Saved me a trip towing the rig to the North Lamar DPS Headquarters in Austin.

donr827

Not sure I could parallel park a trailer. Thinking about it how many times have you parallel parked your trailer?
Don

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Parrallel Park ? for real? Rex, I'm thinking of PP a straight vehicle where you only have 120% clearance, but a TV and Trailer would require much more space, what kind of space do they provide for clearances?

I'm going to have to try to do this just to see if I could pass..

Kevin

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I've never had to parallel park. Glad there's no licensing in VA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

I wouldn't let parallel parking scare anyone away from getting a Class A license. They give you plenty of room and you don't have to do a very good job - just don't hit the curb. A lousy parking job just deducts a few points from your score. If I remember, you only have to get 80 out of 100 points to pass the driving test. My examiner made a snarky remark about how far way from the curb I was and I replied that was better than hitting the curb. I think I passed with 92/100. And that was with a tractor/trailer, not an RV.

And parallel parking is just like anything else with our RVs - takes a little practice.

rxbristol

Parrallel Park ? for real? Rex, I'm thinking of PP a straight vehicle where you only have 120% clearance, but a TV and Trailer would require much more space, what kind of space do they provide for clearances?

I'm going to have to try to do this just to see if I could pass..

Kevin

Kevin,

It's not as bad as it sounds. I just followed the YouTube videos on how semi-trucks do it for their CDLs. Actually, once you learn how, it's a real confidence booster on your backing skills. When I used to back into my driveway (90 degrees) I did the same thing...watched YouTube videos. Once you know the tricks of the trade it makes backing less intimidating</SPAN></SPAN>. Don't remember exactly how many feet I had, but it was plenty of room.

rxbristol

Congrats Rex. It is a relief to have that behind you. I discovered a small DPS office in Marble Falls, 20 min from my house, did a walk-in for the driving test. Had about 1-1/2 hours to burn due to a couple of appointments. Gave me time to have some biscuits and gravy at the Bluebonnet Cafe. Went back and was done in 20 minutes. Saved me a trip towing the rig to the North Lamar DPS Headquarters in Austin.

That was nice and convenient.

Bohemian

My GVWR = Truck 14,000, Trailer 16250--total 30,250. The truck seems to push the weight rating over on all trailers.
What is the trucks GCWR? You can get a Ram 3500 DRW with a 68RFE transmission, have a GCWR of 25,000 lbs. and NOT need a Class A, or get the exact same truck with an AISIN transmission, have a 29,000 lbs. GCWR and therefor need a Class A. Both have a GVWR of 14,000 lbs.

rxbristol

What is the trucks GCWR? You can get a Ram 3500 DRW with a 68RFE transmission, have a GCWR of 25,000 lbs. and NOT need a Class A, or get the exact same truck with an AISIN transmission, have a 29,000 lbs. GCWR and therefor need a Class A. Both have a GVWR of 14,000 lbs.

For my truck--30,500 lbs.