2009 Bighorn Pick up and Shakedown Cruise

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Well I know everyone is holding their breath to see if we are making it safely on our travels to pick up our new 2009 Bighorn 3400RE. I want you all to know it is probably safe to go on the roads in California as we are unhitched for the first time and safely in a pull through site in Paso Robles at the winecountryrvresorts.com. tomorrow we head to Avila Beach for 2 nights at Ocean Canyon RV resort owned by Reynolds and Reynolds.

The PDI took 3 hrs but I think we got most of it down right. Put about 50 lbs in the airbags in the ford and made sure to put air in the Bighorn tires as they were the Mission tires from China and they were 15 lbs light.
Clovis RV and John Black were very friendly and there were no surprises as well as the associated RV Outlet in Fresno that prepared our rig for us to pick up. There were a few minor problems, but were ironed out quickly by Mike Golding the PDI mgr. Finally got on the road at 3PM and headed in the swirling wind for Paso Robles on our maiden voyage. With the airbags and the Mor/ryde pin cushion it was a pretty easy jaunt as we tried to make it to our campsite before dark. Our GPS misinformed us but luckily the campground guided us in to them. Once I informed them I was a rookie, they descended on us to assist us in settling in.
Everyone was quite impressed with the Bighorn, which made me like a proud daddy. I am really happy these guys helped me, as it was a difficult process to unhitch and the right front leg had a loose nut, that they tightened for me. They were personally unhappy that noone at the factory or the service center caught that, as it was barely attached. Eventually we got unhitched and as we started the unpacking, everyone disappeared very quickly. LOL! The camp mgr gave me a TV cable, as it wasn't included. Also the starter kit was missing, but luckily Bob had me buy most of the stuff that was in there. The biggest problem so far is getting the TV to utilize the cable. We turned off the booster in the bedroom behind that tv but are still unable to get more than 6 channels. Our dvd unit is a samsung, the living room TV is a Olevia 42" and the bedroom Tv is a Jensen. Help anyone! Anyway the antennae doesnt work,it just turns and turns with no end but we are still happy campers.

Today we went to a bunch of wineries and had loads of fun especially at J. Lohr. Also another bighorn exactly like ours except it was a 2008 showed up and we shared stories as he bought his at Clovis RV just like I did. What a coincidence. So far so good everyone, so hopefully we will see our fellow socal heartlands next week at the rally. Thanks everyone for all the help and hopefully, we will iron out our problems and have a great time. I was lucky that tomorrow at Ocean Canyon that while I will be trying to back into my first site, the guy on duty said he would help me. Any maiden voyagers, at least I started a new thread, to tell your harrowing tales. As a newbie, it was quite exciting for Debbi and me.
Later until next time.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
See Larry, I told you that you could do it. Now you can calm down and enjoy the new adventures and new people. Take care, see you next weekend. Bob, Patty, and the SOCAL gang :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

sdgirl

Hoorah!

Good Job Larry !!! I don't have a Mor-ryde yet, but I probably will get one eventually. I bet that really helped you enjoy a smooth ride! Very smart of you to get that before you pulled the coach the first time. I knew you could do it! Just a matter of gettin' up on that horse and getting used to it. You'll do fine backing up, too~! Just take it slow and easy. See you on the 22nd!

CGibson

Larry,

Glad to know everything went well for you. We are so anxious for April to get here and to get our 3400RE. Let us know any tips you have for us in the next few months.

sealman

Glad everything went well....Wine Country is one of the nicest RV Parks around...Everyone there is very helpful....One of our favorite....Great wineries too. Another nice park is in Malibu across from the ocean and on the hillside.....John grew up in So. Cal and we get out there as often as possible.

Larry,

Glad to see all went well with your PDI. John Black is a very nice guy. We will be picking up our 09 Cyclone 4012 on March 6th. So far I am very impressed with Clovis RV.

I glad to hear all went very good on you end too.

BTW: We are also member of Ocean Canyon and have stayed at Wine Country RV Resort. Thumbs up on both if you have not stayed there before.

Rock On...

Larryheadhunter

well folks, the wine country resort in paso robles was outstanding. they,found the front jacks had loose brackets, so they fixed it for us and helped us unhitch. we stayed an extra day and everything went well., especially the wine tasting at J Lohr.

we had an easy drive to Ocean Country resort and it is crowded bigtime. Since there is no pull throughs, i made an agreement with reynolds and reynolds mgt to have them park it, because there were alot of tight spaces and cars parked in the street sticking out. Unfortunately, mgt never told the on site mgr and he was not very nice, and told me to park it myself. Well I saw the spot, and it was the last one in the park, and it had a huge hole in the middle, as well as a cabin next door, so we declined. The mgr told me to pull out of the park exit, which had a car leaning in the street, turn and find a place to make a u turn. Well, the next part is sad but true. Ever had 2 accidents in 15 minutes? As I tried to go around the parked car, the truck made it, but we scraped the exit pole right on the furnace and water heater. Within seconds other rvers helped me out without too much of a mess, with both items still in working order. I was shooken up but turned onto the side road and when i found a rest area I attempted to make a uturn, attempted. As before the truck made it easy, however the passenger rear of the rig took off a parked car who was parked backwards, rear bumper off and our and our rear end was scraped but only took off the parking light. Needless to say, we are all safe, no one was hurt, i just have egg on my face a little. Anyway, the mgr decided to park my rig in a better spot and everything is fine. Thank god for insurance, so for a 2 $500 deductibles, and repair to our rig we will be fine. I think I heard every story possible on how to smash a rig from all the park goers. Bad judgement on my part, but its all part of the learning process, so we will still be going to the socal rally next weekend if they will let us on the road! LOL You gotta have a sense of humor. Anyway thats the latest. The park took no responsibility since they weren't driving, even though we had arranged for them to park the rig. I got flustered with all the rigs behind me checking in, but in the future, I will hold my own and make them stick to the agreement. I was intimidated but I learned my lesson. Nice and easy.

jbeletti

Larry,

Ouch :eek: Just be happy no one got hurt (except your pride).

Many of us make newbie mistakes. Had my share of them and like you, I fessed up right here on the forum. You will get better but it does take practice.

Jim

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Hang in there Larry. I remember my first scrapes and scratches on our Landmark and Ford truck. Not a good feeling but I did learn something from it. All part of camping.I had towed and backed a TT for years and could back it anywhere I wanted to. The fith wheel is another story.Have had our Landmark since Nov. of 2004,I am getting better,but still have my problems backing it. I am just a weekend camper so I really don't get that much practice backing. Might be a good some Sunday afternoon to find a big empty parking lot and practice backing. Anyway just remember you will learn something everytime you take your rig out. Good luck and good camping!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
It's cool

LARRY, besides your pride are you OK??? Get some rest, go visit a Winery, calm down and it will be OK. 1st MH in 1977, parking next to the curb, forgot about the tree. The whole side front to rear dented. This was coming home from the dealer the day we picked it up. So dont beat yourself up. Be careful coming home, dont get paranoid, just drive like nothing happened. If you tense up, then you will make mistakes. BTW, the next time you have to make a sharp turn make sure to have Debbi get out and watch the rear of the coach. The rear of these things swing around farther that the wheels do. Always give yourself 10-12 feet of clearance for the rear to swing out. We all wish you well on the way home. See you next Friday. Bob, Pat, and the :eek: cat & the whole gang

Last edited:

sdgirl

What they said

Larry,, I would have felt the same way! But from what you've described, it doesn't sound too bad,, and could have been worse. I'd say those were fairly gentle lessons! At least your DW didn't back you into a tree,, which my dear sister did (okay,,, disowned sister!). I would agree with Bob,, don't get all tense on your next trip. Not only will you make mistakes, but you'll be soo incredibly sore after that you won't have any fun at all. Just make mental notes on what to be aware of. And thanks for sharing with us. You probably just helped someone else avoid the same mistakes,,, most likely ME~! :)

See you soon!

quandee

Learning Curve

Just part of the learning curve. Your fifth wheel does not follow the same as any other trailer or the back end of a motor home. Because of the hitch location it cuts much tighter turns so when turning even slightly you must clear objects much wider the u thing necessary. My first unit even after several travel trailers i messed up BOTH sides at least once!None:eek:

Paul Quandee

Larryheadhunter

Thank you all for your supportive comments. It was wierd but once I got over it, half a day, I was fine and we all had a good laugh. When we left, the mgr was so upset that his regulars found out what a jerk he was, he refused to help us get the rig out. Next thing I know there are 4 other rvers helping me hitch up and guided us out. Stay away from Avila Beach Reynolds and Reynolds Ocean Canyon Resort. It's a low class timeshare where the campers were cool but it was tight and close and has changed owners several times.
More excitement though to add. On our way over the 101 South to the 154 which takes u past Lake Cachuma and back to the 101 our electric connector disconnected and we were on windy roads with zero RV brakes. There was no place to pull over, so I took it nice and easy and made it to Santa Barbara where we gassed up and I replugged in the electronic connector.
We are now home safe and excited about Friday in Anaheim. Battered and bruised, but ready to go, duct taped and hot to trot! The damage to the rig according to Ricks Travel Supply which happened to be within 10 minutes of our storage location said it was minor, and could be repaired in 10 hours. Their biggest concern will be how long it takes Heartland to send them the parts. Anyone know how I can speed that up? Is this a James Fenner of customer service, call?
Cya all Friday..............

jpmorgan37

Larry;

My recommendation would be to get it to the Dealer or repair shop and have them see what parts are going to be needed to complete the repair and place the order. When the parts arrive, take your RV in for repair and that way, you are not without it for the time waiting for parts. You will probably have to put down a deposit in order to start the ball rolling.

John

Larryheadhunter

John,
I came home monday, reported it to the insurance company asap. Within 2 hours the adjuster called me and told me to do exactly what you suggested. This morning I took it in to the repair shop, and tomorrow the adjuster will make the estimates and order the parts. He then told me once this process takes place, since there is no structural damage, I can go to the socal rally on friday and bring it back when they have all the parts. The shops biggest concern is how long it will take Heartland to send the factory parts so they can do the work. He estimated it could take as long as 6-8 weeks. He felt that the repair would only take 10 hours of labor. So my question is, how can I speed up the process? Call customer service? Also, since I bought the rig 250 miles away can the repair shop also fix the problems I found in the PDI? Kill 2 birds with one stone.
Thanks again for your opinion, I am glad that I'm handling this properly.

jpmorgan37

Larry;

My first question is; is this a Heartland Dealer? If it is, then there is no reason to contact Heartland Customer Service. If it is not a Heartland Dealer, then you will need to contact Heartland Customer Service to get authorization to have these warranty repairs done. The service center should be able to get an estimate on delivery of the repair parts when they place the order. If it looks like it is going to be an extended period of time (6 weeks or more), I would definitely contact Customer Service. If you do have to contact them, have all of the order specifics; what date the order was placed, how it was placed, order confirmation number, what parts were ordered, etc. They will need this information in order to track the order. Larry, I definitely understand how you feel. I've been there a couple of times and explaining the "Duct Tape" over and over gets old after a while. Good luck on getting a fast and "perfect" repair.

John

Larryheadhunter

john,
I will call customer service tomorrow to try to get permission to fix warranty items found in the pdi and from the shakedown cruise so i can everything done at the same time. this repair facility is really close to where i store my rig so it would be sweet. do i bring the due bill and add on all the extra screw ups we found? Like the UDC leaks. i know they have worked on heartlands before and feels since it is a 2009 there should be factory parts available quickly if heartland acts in a quick manner. I hope they will fix those legs under warranty since the service center that did the pdi are the ones that screwed up. most of the warranty items were scratched wood and on of the slides is a little crooked.

jpmorgan37

Larry;

Those questions will have to be answered by Heartland Customer Service. It sounds like some of the items would be the selling dealers responsibility, but I can't say what position Heartland will take. It won't hurt to ask and good luck.

John

rckc228

Have a 2008 Bighorn 3670RL, love the new coat cabinet to the right of the entry door on the 2009. I was wonder if we could oder one