Onan oil filter brand

BLHFUN

Having troubles locating the Onan brand filter. Oriellys had a cross over using the WIC brand. I can't get the filter to seat well and has a small weep around the top. Is anyone else using another brand of filter that works well and seats properly? Or know where to locate the correct Onan Filters?

Thanks in advance!

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I've used Wic without any issues. The last couple I bought were Onan and bought them at Amazon!

BLHFUN

That's the one. Hmmmm. I'm pretty sure tightening it any further is not the answer. It may just be a faulty seal. I'll run back up there and try again. I've used WIC filters in the past on other items, with no issues as well. It threaded on perfectly and feels very tight, but is still weeping. I don't want to risk over tightening and causing damage.

thank you both!

Jim.Allison

Are you sure the old gasket came off when you removed the filter?

This happened to me the other day, had I been on the ball I would have caught it. As many oil and filter changes that I have done and never once had it happen until the other day.

That's the one. Hmmmm. I'm pretty sure tightening any further is not the answer. It may just have a faulty seal. I'll run back up there and try again. I've used WIC filters in the past on other items, with no issues as we'll. it threaded on perfectly and feels very tight, but is still weeping I don't want to risk over tightening and causing damage.

thank you both!

BLHFUN

Are you sure the old gasket came off when you removed the filter?

This happened to me the other day, had I been on the ball I would have caught it. As many oil and filter changes that I have done and never once had it happen until the other day.

Yes sir. Clean as a whistle up there. That was the first thing I checked when it did it the first time. I dropped the new filter, checked the seals and cleaned it. Re oiled it and slapped it back on. Same issue. It's such a small weep, I almost missed it. But it's there.

Jim.Allison

If you did not have a leak with the old filter and you have a leak now then it is the new filter, take it off, pull that gasket out and see if there is some pookie between the filter and the gasket or some other malformation. The filter can crimp could be bad. Stranger things have happened.

Lynn1130

WIX or Napa Gold #7398(same filter). If the old worked and the new one does not then I'm with Jim, something got between the filter and the seat. If you still have the old filter and gasket, try the old gasket on the new filter and see if it leaks. If Not then I would be taking the new filter and back to the store for a replacement.

BLHFUN

I went ahead and bought a new WIX filter and it worked just fine. No visible creases or rips on the old/new one, but it just wouldn't seal up. O'Reilly's took it back with no questions asked. Thanks for all the advise.