Bedroom Slide

EPaulikonis

I'd like to see the bed raised up some in the bedroom slide. It appears the bed is level with the sub-floor and not accounting for the additional height of the carpet and padding. Brand new carpet already getting badly worn by the two rollers supporting the bed by just operating the slide a few times. The deep depressions caused by the bed rollers resting on the carpeted floor when the slide is closed are unsatisfactory.

I did make slide slickers using 3/16" Masonite to mitigate the issue, but my local service representative recommended not using them because they're changing the geometry of the slide when it's closed. Guess I'll use a piece of throw carpet to hide the depressions when slide is extended for occupancy.

bob34787

do not have that problem on my 2013 san Antonio, the bed seems to be slightly elevated at the foot and leaves no depression

danemayer

Lippert makes a product for their slideouts that apparently is ok to use. Slideout Slickers. Here's a link. Amazon carries them as do many other places. You might even find them at your local dealer.

EPaulikonis

Lippert makes a product for their slideouts that apparently is ok to use. Slideout Slickers. Here's a link. Amazon carries them as do many other places. You might even find them at your local dealer.

Thanks for the info. The slickers I made were very similar alternative to the ones you can purchase. Can't remember if I saw them in a Trailer Life issue or some other blog. The real issue I'm having is clearance of the bed frame/rollers on the carpet. You can only see about 1/2 of the roller when slide is in or out. Even the thin 3/16" Masonite I used causes ~1.25" rise at the foot of the bed because it keeps the rollers from digging into the carpet.

adam

I personally like the design where the rollers are fixed on the floor and the bed moves over them, instead of the rollers moving "with" the bed frame.

When the rollers are stationary it allows you to change to a hard surface flooring in a bedroom because the flooring doesn't have the weight or the friction of the rollers moving across it. The bed simply stays elevated above the exposed flooring when the slide is in or out.

While I have not fully investigated the strength of the bed frame in the Landmark I suspect it isn't strong enough for this design (but may be able to be reinforced?). The unit I had it in, the bed was framed in quality plywood and had aluminum strips underneath it so the bed could easliy glide on the rollers.

It my situation I won't get to changing anything until the carpet requires replacing. But if possible I would switch to a solid surface flooring in the bedroom when I get a chance.

Back to your concerns - Can you see if there is anyway of changing the roller configuration for a long term solution or is it possible that your slide needs adjusting to minimize the marks that are being left on the carpet?

Adam

adam

I knew I had some pictures somewhere.....

In these before and after photos you can see where the rollers are fixed to the floor versus travelling with the bed. These are pics of our last unit where I removed carpet and put solid cherry hardwood in the bedroom. (Notice the thickness of the bedframe in the picture when I was taking the bedroom apart.
Again I'm not trying to say that this will work for sure in the slide of the Landmark but this design is really good.

I think I will wait to after the warranty period before I change mine though.

Adam

Attachments

• IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    728 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1330.jpg
    IMG_1330.jpg
    635.7 KB · Views: 136

EPaulikonis

Thanks for the idea Adam. Very nice install on the wood flooring.

I'll have to take a look at the bed frame and possible solutions once I get the trailer out of the shop. I'll see what I can do to reinforce where necessary so I can get the rollers stationary on the floor. Was getting the final 3-issues from delivery resolved, so anxious to get back out on the road again.

EPaulikonis

The RV Service Manager and I were talking about the slickers I made during pickup. He recommended I not use them under the bed rollers because it added too much torque on the slide. He took me outside and we looked at the slide closed without slickers in place. We opened the slide, put down the slickers, and closed the slide again...I was quite surprised to see it tipped the top of the slide out ~1/2".

When I took the camper back to storage, I looked a little harder at the bed rollers that are installed. I pulled the inside bottom of the bed apart to access the rollers from the inside of the bed frame. I pried up the frame, blocked with some wood, and took to the task of removing both rollers without disassembling the bed. Once I had them off it was apparent that the rollers added over 2 1/2" of height to the foot of the bed. I then installed Waxman sliders along the bottom of the bed frame every 3', just pushed them into the pressboard frame. The sliders are 1" round and made of hard plastic. Now the bed is level and the sliders seem to be working good on the carpet. No noticeable tracks being created. We'll see if the fix holds water with more frequent use as we enjoy the next camping season.