Garage Door - replacement

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
All,

as was noted in another thread my outer skin on my Cyclone 3010 became compromised and bubbled and then split. Working with Lippert they agreed to send me a new door and I paid the $600 shipping charge. The door arrived today with a large gash in the outer packaging and I have not yet determined if it damaged the actual door ( it is the out side not the inside ). I have just started to unpack the door ( it weighs in at nearly 300 lbs ) in my driveway and I am happy to report that it was shipped complete with the springs and hinges already attached ( I was concerned ). here are some photos of the door as delivered and un-packaging process.

Damage of packaging

Door0.jpg

Undamaged Side

Door1.jpg

With the Gray Pressboard removed

Door2.jpg

With the Foam removed

Door3.jpg

Very happy that the Hinges were already installed!! :)

Door4.jpg

Next step is to remove it from the crate and see if there was any damage to the outer wall where the packaging was damaged... that will require two of us so it will wait until tonight

recumbent615

Well just realized that they did not provide the rubber seal on the new door, so all replacement activities are on hold until I either receive from Lippert or Heartland... I was really hoping to get this installed today! :(

Kevin

recumbent615

Well after completing the unpacking of the door, it appears that there is some damage to the door the surface if the door is gouged. I will contact Lippert tomorrow to see what the next step is and circle back on the gasket too.

I also realized after getting the door out that the HW for latching and locking the door in place was not included and attached. Also the rubber bumpers will need to be swapped over from the old door as well.

Kevin

wdk450

Kevin:
Good luck on the door replacement.
Tell me, did the $600 shipping charge make you think about towing the Cyclone to Elkhart/Goshen?

recumbent615

Bill,

It most definitely did make me pause. as a matter of fact I placed the original order as a "pickup" because I have a friend who drives OTR - but his schedule would not permit him picking this up for me. It would have been cheaper for me to drive out, but that did not take into consideration the Wear on the TV. If they would have installed it for me, I would have done the road trip for sure ...

porthole

Retired
So I have to ask Kevin - why accept the delivery without checking for damage?

Was it noted with the delivery company?

recumbent615

So I have to ask Kevin - why accept the delivery without checking for damage?

Was it noted with the delivery company?

Duane,

It was noted with the delivery company ( the driver actually pointed out the damaged shipping container ). It did not appear when I look at first that the damage had breached the all of the foam insulation but in fact it had. I did take photos in the presence of the driver and noted that there was damage to the container on the waybill when signing. Followed that up with a call to Lippert the same day - prior to unpacking and noting the damage as that was not done until the evening. I have since followed up with them on the discovered damage. I do not believe that the damage is something that can not be fixed locally since it is not deep but does cut through the clear coat into the fiber glass ... as long as it is done right and a proper clear coat is re-applied after the repair all should be good. and in the end it will be covered up with some kind of graphics yet to be designed/selected.

The deal with the rubber gasket is, I need to purchase from Heartland. And I will need to move the latching hardware from the old door to the new door and drill the holes for those as well.

So the door install is a few weeks out at best.

Kevin

recumbent615

Well here is an update on the Ramp door replacement. Lippert after discussing the damage that was inflicted on the door has agreed that getting it repaired is the best option. but of course to get it to a dealer for repair I first need to install the door. So now that I'm home for a few days and the weather is dry this morning I removed the old door with my son's able assistance ( this is a two or three person job ) we removed the old door and placed the new door in it's opening only to determine that none of the hinges lined up with the holes in the frame. If I was prone to swearing I'm sure I would have ... But as a rule I am not especially with my children around ( even if he is nearly 30 ). In looking at the original door we determined that those hinges didn't line up either when Heartland got the (original) door... Heartland's answer was to make the holes in the hinges larger ... not the best solution since it appeared that one of the one of the hinges did not even come close to the factory holes ( in the frame ) so it was either drill and tap new holes or rebuild the hinge to match the per-existing holes. I chose to rebuild the hinge assembly so with the door held in place by the swing locks on either side we dissembled the hing set and one hing/spring assembly at a time we made new spacers out of PVC pipe to realign all of the hinges to the correct position.

I also had to drill holes for the door locking latches, I filled each hole with copious amounts of caulk. and sealed the surface with butal (sp) tape sandwiched between the to surfaces. The handles and bumpers were installed from the old door .. now to determine how to dispose of the old door... - I never thought of that ..

I was thinking of cutting it open to ascertain what it is made of -

One MAJOR difference between the two doors is the very obvious caulking that is present on the new door that was very absent on the old door - so this one may maintain it's integrity longer, one would hope.

My Rig will go to the repair shop on Monday for an estimate and as soon as we get approval from Lippert I will get it repaired before parking it for the winter...

Kevin

oscar

Yes, please perform an autopsy on the old door. Many of us would be very interested to see how it's put together.