Cover 5th wheel for Winter?

clayhud

I am trying to decide if I should cover my 5er for the Winter. I live in the Atlanta, GA area and the Winter is usually mild, however, we do have some rain. I have heard that wind could cause the cover to rub the sides resulting in damage to the gelcote finish. Has anyone had this happen when their rig was covered?

Any advice or experience on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

jnbhobe

What you have heard is true along with it may rub on the edge of the roof. Most people I know who have used a cover just quit useing it after it ripped in the wind or did damage to their rig.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
But the Prez of Camping World may send you a letter telling you he's concerned that you haven't ordered a cover from them. It's in my circular file awaiting action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zedd

John
Thats funny i got that same letter! I actually took it in and its a great deal off of there extremely high in store price until you see on the web that you can buy it from them for $20 more and Amazon's regular price is $40.00 less. Going to add that letter to the burn box for camping next weekend!

happykraut

I had a cover on my brand new BC. After I removed the cover my dealer looked at it and asked if I had it covered for the winter. He could see the damage the cover had caused. Oh by the way I have a cover for sale.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Our cover is 50x18 with an electric door opener. My neighbor built a 10 unit building a couple years ago. He's hopping to get concrete poured this month for the next ten. He already has five of those reserved. We had our unit reserved while it was still in the "thinking about it" stage. In fact, he used our Bighorn to determine the unit size so folks could have the slides out when stored. A friend of mine was thinking about renting one when the first building was done but couldn't justify the cost. A couple weeks ago he was complaining about not being able to keep his clean and cracking decals. BTW my neighbor has been storing his Artic Fox for the 11 years they have had it and it still looks/works great. They are currently looking to update to a Bighorn:)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
One of my neighbors has a cover for his 5th-wheel (not a Heartland), and after his experiences, I will not get one for my trailer.

His ripped after the first wind storm we had . . . it rubbed off caulking on the edges of his trailer roof . . . and he also had mold issues, which is not very common here in the high altitude of Colorado (our neighborhood is roughly 6000 feet above sea level).