Where can I go for Towing Instructions?

Jhuff8181

We are now proud owners of a new Heartland 5th wheel. I will be taking delivery of our 3500 DWR Silverado in a few weeks. Here's the thing, I've never towed anything much less a 41' 5th wheel. For our first trip we will be traveling from New Hampshire to Florida. I've watched many videos on the subject but I was wondering if anyone offers any kind of formal training? Another related question, where is a good place to practice? I can see a lot of rolling eyes out there but hey, we all have to start somewhere.

jnbhobe

First READ this forum there is a lot of info here, just about anything you want to know can be answered here. Second find a big empty parking lot and start playing around. Just practice, practice, and practice some more. Make wide turns.

MCTalley

I got about 1/3 mile of practice on the road leading out of our RV dealer. I spent most of that adjusting the brake controller. The very next thing I did was to pull out onto four-lane highway, turning left. The people that I cut off (inadvertently, since I wasn't anticipating such slow acceleration) laid on the horn and gave us the one-finger salute all the way past the back of our rig. After that, and a few curbs that day and the next, it has been clear sailing.

A big, empty parking lot and some cones would be a great way to practice a few moves. Look for campgrounds with pull-through sites (fortunately, they are pretty prevalent) until you get used to backing into sites (which is another fun challenge).

Garypowell

Start watching semi's and how they turn. Look at google earth to plan your route. Left turns are generally easier than rights.

I did did the same thing in 1996.....you'll be fine just go slow at first.

Dloebrich

Invest in a hardwire rear view camera. I leave mine on all the time and find it very helpful when changing lanes in heavy traffic. The factory brake controller in our 2013 drw chevy works great. I keep it at 9 1/2. The harder you push the brake the more voltage it sends to the trailer. I have towed many smaller trailers that don't behave as well as our cyclone 4000.
Also a good co-pilot is essential!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When you are actually in a campground, angle your mirrors so you can see the sides of the rig near the roof. If you have to wind through tree lined lanes to get to your site, you will want to keep an eye on any branches that might cause you grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Here are some pages from the Texas CDL Handbook that might be helpful.

Attachments

• Pages from CDL Handbook Texas DL-7C pp32-35.pdf
    42.1 KB · Views: 54

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've been pulling trailers for decades, but just got a new truck two weeks ago.

On my days off from work, I hitched up the trailer and pulled it around everywhere I went, just to get used to the way it hauls!

One thing to remember . . . always leave at least 10 truck and trailer lengths between you and the vehicle in front of you!

It takes a lot more to stop a truck and trailer combo than it does to get it going.

Oh . . . don't go over 65 MPH when you have the trailer in tow.

Never EVER be in a hurry to get where you are going when you have that trailer attached to your truck.

Attachments

• NewTruckAtCherryCreek-IMG_20140909_183951592.jpg
    NewTruckAtCherryCreek-IMG_20140909_183951592.jpg
    649.7 KB · Views: 62

Ladiver

I was in your shoes a year ago. I had pulled small jet ski trailers and the like, but never a 38' 5er. Find a wide open lot and throw some cones down. Figure out where the trailer tires track and what you need to do to back in and turn (right and left) without running them over. Practice, practice, practice. Take you time. Make sure your in the right mental state to tow. Remain focused and give yourself plenty of room. Know where all vehicles are around you.

Learn everything you can about your truck's ability, your trailers characteristics and your skills. Knowing what that combination can AND can not do is the key to safe and successful voyages. You will do just fine.

Ask more questions here. There are no stupid ones. I have already asked them all!

Jeff

Zedd

I don't have any experience either everyone else is right practtice practice practice. It makes a difference especially backing. I haven't used them but i did find. www.rvschool.com they have certified instructors all over.

Good luck and get a/pair of walkie talkies so your signifigant other can guide you. It will make things easier and save your relationship froma lot of arguments. :)

driver311

why would any dealer let u off the lot with no experience. u need some lessons. THIS IS VERY SCARYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

JohnD

why would any dealer let u off the lot with no experience. u need some lessons. THIS IS VERY SCARYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Well, the dealership is only interested in selling you the trailer . . .

It really isn't their job to make sure you know how to haul it!

Don't get me wrong . . . I'm not condoning the fact that dealers are letting people haul big trailers off of their lots without proper knowledge of towing capabilities . . .

But in all reality, it isn't their problem if we, the buyer, doesn't know what we are in for when buying our RV!

What I do have an issue with, however, is when a dealership tells you that whatever truck you happen to have at the time of purchase is more than enough to tow whatever it is you are thinking about buying!

Last edited:

scottyb

Not sure which 5th wheel you purchased, but if it is 41' and you are pulling it with a DRW, you probably are over 26K CGWR. In most states, that requires a Class A license. The dealers will not tell you that either.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
This might help you:

Right turns, if its onto a 2 lane road....get out as far as you can to the left before you make the turn. Watch the right side if the 5er all away around the turn. Lean forward in your seat if you need to. YOU NEED TO GET THIS STRAIGHT WITH YOUR DW THE FIRST THING. TELL HER NICELY AT 1ST AND AFTER THAT YELL IF YOU NEED TO. DO NOT look in the mirrors for me...KEEP YOUR HEAD OF MY LINE OF SITE TO THE MIRRORS. Light posts and signal posts can do alot of damage to the side of a 5er. Make sure the 5er tires are not hitting the curb. You can damage the rim and tire. One other thing you need to watch for. The dumby in a car or on a bicycle that is trying to pass you on the right while you are turning. The stories I can tell about this when I was driving 18 wheelers....flattened one.

Left turns are easier:

Pull out straight into the intersection as far as you can when making the turn. This way you wont remove the front of a car/truck that is sitting at the intersection. Samething goes for watching your mirror all the way through the turn. Ya never know what some dumby will do. If any left turn lane have 2 lanes...always use the far right one.

Changing lanes on an interstate or a 4/6 lane road..WATCH YOUR MIRRORS. Make sure you can judge speeds of other cars in the next lane. If some dumby tries to go around you while you are changing....tough. Go over anyway. Never yank the wheel to avoid them. You could end up with the shiny side down/dirty side up.

Last thing for now when backing up. Tell your DW ...."IF YOU CAN'T SEE MY FACE IN THE MIRROR..I CAN'T SEE YOU". Backing up takes lots of practice. I could sit here are day typing on how to do it. Put the palm of your right hand on the top of the steering wheel. Look in your mirror, watch the trailer and slowly back into a spot. Move the steering wheel SLOWLY to correct as needed. If the trailer will not recover from a turn/angle....stop... pull forward...straight out the whole rig and start over again. I don't care if people in a CG are sittin in a chair, drinking a cold one, have popcorn and holding up numbered score signs. Back in at your own pace....NO ONE was born backing up trailers.

Gary521

It is a bit intimidating at first, however, you will get used to it quickly. Be aware of gas station overhangs. I almost hit one when I first started out by not thinking about it. Give yourself plenty of stopping room. You have a bunch of weight back there.

lynndiwagoner

This situation does sound kind of scary. I started out with pop-ups, then 24' trailers, then small 5th wheel to where I am now. It would be hard to imagine jumping into a 41' rig without ANY prior towing experience. I'm not trying to discourage OP, but like everyone says, I would go to a big empty parking lot and practice. There are so many things to look for, like trees, curbs, other drivers, etc. Wow

Zedd

X2 on the gas station overhangs make sure to plan your route carefully! Additionally don't forget about the trees especially if you boondock camp a lot other wise you will be spending some time snd cash to replace that vent cover on your refrigerator when you could be camping! Don't ask how I know:-(

JohnD

This situation does sound kind of scary. I started out with pop-ups, then 24' trailers, then small 5th wheel to where I am now. It would be hard to imagine jumping into a 41' rig without ANY prior towing experience. I'm not trying to discourage OP, but like everyone says, I would go to a big empty parking lot and practice. There are so many things to look for, like trees, curbs, other drivers, etc. Wow

Ironically, when I am driving with the trailer in tow, I have what I call the "Too late to change my mind!" scenario.

This is when I commit to going through an intersection despite what the stop light dictates!

When you have an 8000+ pound trailer in tow, you can't always stop on a dime.

I generally point my finger forward when I've made the decision to go through an intersection, no matter what the stop light might be telling me!

Word of advice . . . never be in a hurry when you are pulling your trailer . . .

And NEVER count on the other driver to do the right thing!

Because they could care less about you or the heavy load you are pulling . . .

Since you are the one with the extra load . . . it is up to you to do the right thing! :eek:

Jhuff8181

I didn't actually drive it off the lot, I had it delivered. We will not be leaving for Florida a few months so I given my self some time to learn.