Interesting new concept -- side hauler 5ver

szewczyk_john

I had seen a motor home with this type of a set up 2 years before I bought my current rig. The ramps are to steep to load the bike. Look at the picture you posted and imagine the bike bottoming out a few more inches forward. An earlier thread on this site claimed that they had switched over to an elevator mechanism that allows the floor to drop to ground level and then you raise the bike after driving it onto the lowered floor.

ILH

The elevator version of this has huge potential for people in wheelchairs. Thanks for posting!

porthole

Retired
Saw it today.

I don't doubt this will be a winner. Especially if they put it in a higher line.
Personally, I think there is a market for a luxury toy hauler.

The rear living room at first glance had really no noticeable indication that there was a slide hiding a full size motorcycle.

The bike is loaded on a cable operated ramp system.

b0724e23dd7f43f99fb5b94cd6adeda9.jpg

szewczyk_john

I'm guessing that the bike is placed on the ramp and then the ramp is brought up by the cable? From the first picture in this thread, there is no way the bike would make it in the slide without bottoming out.

If you read my comments on the 365 toy hauler thread, this is what I had in mind for that high end toy hauler. A half wide garage with a ramp door that would not be noticeable from the inside.

porthole

Retired
John, these are one off ramps at the present, but it looks to be a copy of the electric lift popular for use in pickups.

Extend the ramp, roll the bike into the front chock, tie down and pull the ramp/bike up and in.

Sure beats riding up on a wet ramp or with wet & dirty bike tires.

And since you wouldn't be moving things around in the garage once unloaded, it would make for an easy "in the garage every night routine"

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
I'll post a couple of pics when I get them off the camera, but, the ramp looks to be similar to this ramp in looks and operation.

http://www.jettrax.com/Motorcycle-Lifts.htm

If there was a model in the the higher end trailer category with a bath and a half and this side/slide option, we probably would have ordered a trailer yesterday. 365+ :rolleyes:

szewczyk_john

I saw a similar system in use in New Hampshire once. Not sure if it was the same name as the link you have. It was mounted a semi truck which was modified for fifth wheel use. The system was mounted sideways and lifted a road king. It ended up sitting behind the cab and in front of the fifth wheel. It was strapped and secured after the ramp stopped moving. While it was loading the only thing holding the bike was a clamped front chock and a piece of metal that locked the front tire to the chock.

If they ever developed what we are talking about, if you could use a false floor to cover the ramp when the bike was not in there, you would have a walk in closet/storage room or a bedroom for the dogs. I am really liking this idea that we are developing. Wonder if anyone is listening?

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
I saw it, too. Thought it so interesting I mentioned it to Tom Montague. Also, sent him a link to this thread.

porthole

Retired
John, the trailer I saw - if you were to utilize the as equipped dolly system it is only good for that purpose. There is just too much steel framing on the floor. Not really sure if this area of the room was completed sealed when the slide is out. There was a small cutaway at the base where the door would close. I'm guessing it had to do with the ramp operating as it slid and rotated back.

Your idea - have a full length fold up floor. Yeah that'll work.
The lift was probably about a foot high. Do you really think though your going to get your crew to sleep in the opposite end of the trailer now that you spoiled them :rolleyes:

There was enough room though that a gear storage cabinet and racks for leathers would easily fit.
The designer told me that it was designed around the biggest commercially available bikes on the market. So I assumed he was referring to EG's GW's and Victory's

porthole

Retired
BTW, the bike is the picture is a somewhat rare 2003 Screamin Eagle Road King. Whomever loaded it had the front suspension cranked down all the way to the stops. There was 1/4" or less between the fender and triple tree. One good bump and that is a $900 oops - if you can even find the fender.

sengli

I was at their factory one day doing a tour, and I saw this unit. Its a Bay Hill fiver. Its nothing I was interested in, but it was unique.