Ram owners with Short Bed

'Lil Guy'

Just got a 14 2500 CTD SWB with hitch prep in bed. Using a hitch with a slider, is there room for the axillary fuel tank/tool box combination? Right now I have the standard bed toolbox in it. Looking at the puck locations, there seems to be enough room. I haven't ordered or looked at one yet but they appear to be about flush with the top of the bed. Any help here would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

ramdually4100king

I have a 2009 mega cab 3500 with aux tank/tool box combo (zylstra fuel box) and a Reese 20k sliding hitch. I do not have the factory prep kit but I can't see that that would take up anymore real-estate in the bed than a hitch with rails.

The fuel box is flush with the top of the bed and on a previous truck with the same setup I had a soft cover over the bed. I would just roll it up when towing and cover the bed otherwise.

Hippy

Have you considered or looked into replacing your original 34 gallon? I replaced my 34 gallon with a 56 gallon Titan.
Saved bed space for other things. It's worked out great giving me that extra distance .

'Lil Guy'

Have you considered or looked into replacing your original 34 gallon? I replaced my 34 gallon with a 56 gallon Titan.
Saved bed space for other things. It's worked out great giving me that extra distance .

Are you saying I can exchange my original tank with a larger version? I think I have a 31 gallon ank now. Thant could be the ticket if they can replace it with a larger one.

'Lil Guy'

I have a 2009 mega cab 3500 with aux tank/tool box combo (zylstra fuel box) and a Reese 20k sliding hitch. I do not have the factory prep kit but I can't see that that would take up anymore real-estate in the bed than a hitch with rails.

The fuel box is flush with the top of the bed and on a previous truck with the same setup I had a soft cover over the bed. I would just roll it up when towing and cover the bed otherwise.
Is your truck the shorter bed or the 8'?

Cjackg

Are you saying I can exchange my original tank with a larger version? I think I have a 31 gallon ank now. Thant could be the ticket if they can replace it with a larger one.
I just looked into a Titan 57-gallon replacement for the oem tank in my Silverado and they wanted near $1,200. for just the kit, then add more $$ for installation. You could buy a lot of diesel fuel at those prices!

GOTTOYS

I have a 62 gallon RDS wedge type tank in my 2010 Ram shortbox. This is the gravity feed type. It does fit. If I did it again I would use a smaller 40 gal that mounts vertically for a little more room. One problem with their tanks is the fuel filler. It does stick up a little too high when using their standard locking cap if you have a soft roll up tonneau cover. I fixed that by going to a standard non-locking cap when the cover is in use. There is no RDS kit available for the latest Ram trucks and they cannot be installed in them because they have no gas cap and no way to stop the fuel from coming out of the filler pipe when the tank gets full. This no gas cap thing is a real stupid idea to me. So, if you want a auxilliary tank your choice will be limited to the more expensive units that use a pump...Good luck...Don

GOTTOYS

Yikes! That's a lot more than my gravity feed system cost. I would have to do some hard thinking about that. I generally don't use mine that much, but I do go through a few stretches when heading to AZ that are kind of lonely. Gives me peace of mind. I can make better time without have to look and stop for fuel also...Don

Hippy

Sorry for the delay.
My truck is a 2010 Dodge Ram Laramie 4X4 crew-cab short bed. I paid $1,100. I installed it myself. It was fairly easy. Took me total 3 hours. This is going to be funny.
Only because some parts ( the straps ) where missing. The parts and installation instructions where lacking specifics as where to look for them. Titan company sends you the tank with a front cross bar no straps. So I believed the old Og straps where re used. The old and the new tanks looked the same size with exception length.
Nope. I had to call Titan.
I was told there where 3 straps. Sometimes they are put inside the tank when delivered.
I did not see anything in the new tank when I checked prior to installation. I had to drop the new tank, pull it out from underneath the truck. I stood it up thinking the straps would slide back and forth inside. I bang on the outside numerous thinking something would give, nothing. Finally I took the gauge/float back out, looked inside and even stuck my short arms to see if I felt anything. There was nothing. So I called Titan and told them what I did.
I was told to go look again inside however use a flashlight. Well guess what, yes, they where deep inside. Not reachable. They had enough tension they where locked onto the wall of the tank. I pulled them out and re installed everything back.
I am happy. It's worked out great for me.
The only thing you have to be aware is your fuel tank reading doesn't change. Only your miles to empty does with a full tank till your tank drops to it's original calibration then you get a true reading. I heard yes and no it can be calibrated but I haven't looked into it. I don't feel I need it.
Now my bed is free for other things.

ramdually4100king

Yikes! That's a lot more than my gravity feed system cost. I would have to do some hard thinking about that. I generally don't use mine that much, but I do go through a few stretches when heading to AZ that are kind of lonely. Gives me peace of mind. I can make better time without have to look and stop for fuel also...Don

Yea, it cost a lot but it gives me aprox 76 gallons of fuel and when towing the beast I can go 700+ miles between fill-ups. That is about 4 tanks for a cross country trip. Or a days worth of driving at 65 mph.