Yeti Cooler

'Lil Guy'

With our NT21FBS, space is at premium. We always carry ice chests with us and the problem is making so many trips to replenish the ice. This is a daily job and sometimes twice since ice for the nightly drinks is a must.lol I guess my question is, do the Yeti coolers do what they say and really keep the ice over an extended period. Or, did I just shell out a ridiculous sum for the 75qt Tundra that's no better than an Igloo. This isn't about saving money on ice since you could buy a truck load for the price of the Yeti, but about the inconvenience of making so many ice runs when camping. If anyone uses one, please let me know how you like it and if it works. The reviews are great but you never know if they are real or bogus. Also, has anyone had any experiences with a grizzly attacking their Yeti? If so, tell me where so I can stay clear. Thanks in advance.

L8APXER

We have not tried the bear test yet, but ours ( we have 2 yetis) does keep ice for days, even a week if you minimize opening and closing.

Tundra2084

Ok if your hooked up to power and not boondocking, have you thought of a portable ice maker? We have one that we put on a crate under the slide outside, OR on the counter inside our fiver to make ice. The one we have makes ice in about 5 minutes and can make about 20 lbs of ice in 24 hours. The only thing you have to do is empty the ice bucket when full,and refill the water when it gets low. We fill ziplock bags when making ice and keep it in the freezer. When we are down to one bag we start making ice to replenish what we used. Just a thought as you could also use it to just make ice for drinks and buy bagged for other things.

'Lil Guy'

Ok if your hooked up to power and not boondocking, have you thought of a portable ice maker? We have one that we put on a crate under the slide outside, OR on the counter inside our fiver to make ice. The one we have makes ice in about 5 minutes and can make about 20 lbs of ice in 24 hours. The only thing you have to do is empty the ice bucket when full,and refill the water when it gets low. We fill ziplock bags when making ice and keep it in the freezer. When we are down to one bag we start making ice to replenish what we used. Just a thought as you could also use it to just make ice for drinks and buy bagged for other things.

Not a real boondocker. I guess an ice maker would do the job. We normally don't get the fridge going till we get on the road, so we have some food that needs to be on ice then. Ice maker or not, we need a cooler. I'll look at the ice makers. Probably a lot cheaper than this cooler. Thanks for the reply. Porthole, those don't look cheaper than the Yeti. Their 60 qt is 389. You can get the Yeti 654 for 349.00 at Sam's. $499 for the 75 qt

JeromyS

I have an ice maker and love it. Takes about 30 min to have quite a bit of ice made (10 min per drop) so at worst you'd have to wait 10 min for a glass of ice when stopped. They are pricey 260.00 for mine if I remember right but I got it at camping world. I did learn that the stores do not tell you about the internet deals on the same item so if you shop camping world bring your smartphone or tablet with you and demand the internet price at the register for the items you are purchasing.

HornedToad

Yeti coolers are very popular in the oil patch, almost everyone has one and they all luv em. I considered paying the premium to get one, then I remembered all the stories about them being stolen. Last year someone drove through the tailgate lot during the game and nabbed three, they left my old marine igloo behind. I also watched someone walk off with one at a festival and didn't realize it wasn't theirs until the owner came lookin'.

Be sure and lock it up when you're away!!!

Jim.Allison

ARB Fridge Freezer. Never buy ice again, 37 quart fridge freezer = 100 quart ice chest. 1 ah battery draw.
http://www.amazon.com/ARB-10800472-Fridge-Freezer-Quart/dp/B002Q1INDM

With our NT21FBS, space is at premium. We always carry ice chests with us and the problem is making so many trips to replenish the ice. This is a daily job and sometimes twice since ice for the nightly drinks is a must.lol I guess my question is, do the Yeti coolers do what they say and really keep the ice over an extended period. Or, did I just shell out a ridiculous sum for the 75qt Tundra that's no better than an Igloo. This isn't about saving money on ice since you could buy a truck load for the price of the Yeti, but about the inconvenience of making so many ice runs when camping. If anyone uses one, please let me know how you like it and if it works. The reviews are great but you never know if they are real or bogus. Also, has anyone had any experiences with a grizzly attacking their Yeti? If so, tell me where so I can stay clear. Thanks in advance.

pegmikef

My dealer was giving a Yeti cooler to everyone buying a new vehicle when I bought my truck. It works great even though it has the dealership logo on it, but it just takes up too much space so we don't always take it. I am looking for a smaller 12 volt cooler.

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

A trick I learned years ago that has worked for me is to lay a sheet of the thin white foam that is often used for packaging over the items in your cooler. This cuts down on the uninsulated dead air space. It has made the ice last at least twice as long when I've done this. Cheap too....Don

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
The sheldom seen but often talked about "YETI," is at the Hershey Show! Par for my life, never in the right spot at the right time except for the day I found my wife.

szewczyk_john

there are other names like ORCA, ICEY-TEC and ENGEL. I have seen these and yetis on ebay and other web sites at a discounted price. Ebay from time to time will have factory seconds for sale. I have not bought one yet but I will before next season as my marine cooler's lid is warped. We do have an ice maker that we use and you can get a fair amount of ice made in a little bit of time.

porthole

Retired
I have an ice maker and love it. Takes about 30 min to have quite a bit of ice made (10 min per drop) so at worst you'd have to wait 10 min for a glass of ice when stopped. They are pricey 260.00 for mine if I remember right but I got it at camping world. I did learn that the stores do not tell you about the internet deals on the same item so if you shop camping world bring your smartphone or tablet with you and demand the internet price at the register for the items you are purchasing.

We have the Dometic version that is supposed to do 34 pounds of ice a day. Works pretty good and it could keep up with the ice melt in the cooler, "if" we could remember to keep dumping the ice.

'Lil Guy'

The ice maker will be on our list after we upgrade and have more time for travel and being away. Now, we're limited to 2 to 4 day trips and an occasional 2 week trip. Since I've already got the 75 QT Yeti, I'll see how it works and just use it for awhile. If it does as advertised, I'll probably get another one. Thanks for the replies.

porthole

Retired
Since I've already got the 75 QT Yeti, I'll see how it works and just use it for awhile.

Looking forward to hearing some real world use in an RV.
We already have the ice maker and a freezer/cooler. But any extended trips always require the combo being used as a freezer and then trying to keep the cooler full of ice.

jdfishing

Just saw this thread and wanted to share some info. SAMS CLUB carries one made by Igloo that looks almost identical to the Yeti and it sells for $200. It was rated very high in a comparison by Outdoor Life magazine, I believe.

scottyb

I am loving the ARB 80 QT fridge/freezer. No ice, ever again, except for drink ice. Now I want to buy a smaller one for the truck for every day use.

Attachments

• IMG_2824.jpg
    IMG_2824.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 99